Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:13 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm just proving how you don't have as much personal freedom as you expect. Some areas may be ok with public PDA, but until the state legalizes gay marriage, in my book that means not that free.
So that means NY is not that free. I can live with that. Should we be conscientious citizens and move to Iowa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 04:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Two nifty tricks:

If you look at the little numbers that you can click on next to whatever info is pertinent to you, it'll usually tell you where that info is from. Sometimes they'll even be a nifty link for you to click on and get to the primary source--which is often not something that just anyone can edit. It's pretty amazing, I know.

The other nifty trick is that percentages and absolute numbers can be misleading. While the NYC metro area has a larger total number of people identifying as LGBT than the Metroplex, the Metroplex has a larger percentage--which is what Cliff mentioned in the first place.

Awesome!

Ok, I believe everything you're saying because of Wikipedia; the most reliable source, lol

Until your state passes gay marriage (which you'll probably be like 47th to do), then I'll believe it.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
So that means NY is not that free. I can live with that. Should we be conscientious citizens and move to Iowa?

Makes it more free than a lot of the south. We're about to pass it

" In New York, Gov. David Paterson introduced legislation in April to make same-sex marriage legal.

"The time has come to act. The time has come for leadership. The time has come to bring marriage equality to the state of New York," the Democratic governor said."

After California ruling, will more states favor same-sex marriage? - CNN.com

Old 05-26-2009, 04:26 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:
First off, anyone can edit wikipedia. Second, NY is ranked number one.
My math tells me 2.6% of the pop is less than 3.5% of the pop.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
My math tells me 2.6% of the pop is less than 3.5% of the pop.
See one of my previous posts.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:34 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Two nifty tricks:

If you look at the little numbers that you can click on next to whatever info is pertinent to you, it'll usually tell you where that info is from. Sometimes they'll even be a nifty link for you to click on and get to the primary source--which is often not something that just anyone can edit. It's pretty amazing, I know.

The other nifty trick is that percentages and absolute numbers can be misleading. While the NYC metro area has a larger total number of people identifying as LGBT than the Metroplex, the Metroplex has a larger percentage--which is what Cliff mentioned in the first place.

Awesome!
Don't try arguing with her. She refuses to see anything that doesn't fit into her closed little provincial mind.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:36 PM

I could never use Wikipedia while taking any of my degrees. It just goes to show it is NOT a reliable source. ANYONE can edit that site.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
I could never use Wikipedia while taking any of my degrees. It just goes to show it is NOT a reliable source. ANYONE can edit that site.
Have you tried following the links they give? Those are reliable sources.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Have you tried following the links they give? Those are reliable sources.

The population in NY metro cannot even be accurately measured with how many gays there are. You can measure that sort of thing in a much smaller city like Dallas.

Anyway, the amount of gays doesn't mean that they feel free to express themselves. Like I've said about 5 times, until Texas passes gay marriage, THEN I will believe it's a more free state than I thought.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:46 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Ok, I believe everything you're saying because of Wikipedia; the most reliable source, lol

Until your state passes gay marriage (which you'll probably be like 47th to do), then I'll believe it.
I guess the task was a lot harder for you than I assumed.

Let me help you then:

This was Cliff's link
Demographics of sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now if you click on it you'll see that under the heading and at the end of the first sentence, there's a little number 22. Now use your cursor to go over it and click it.

WOW! Was that magic!? No, it was the Internet! And clicking that number took you to another "link" where the wiki got its info. Amazingly enough, that reference isn't just "anyone," but actually from The Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation Law and Public Policy of the UCLA School of Law (perhaps the preeminent public policy law school in the nation). Now you may have noticed this, but just in case, I'd like to point out that you can even click on the link in the reference to get the primary source itself where you can find the table for yourself. Now in case the numbers things is too confusing for you, to get the percentage, what you need to do is take the number of LGBT people in the metro area (NYC and the Metroplex in this case) and then divide by the number of people (LGBT or otherwise) within the metro area. After that, you multiply the result by 100 and tack one of these things: '%'

Now with the combination of the Internet and math at your disposal, you can do ANYTHING!

My state is New York, and we might as well be 47th. How ridiculous is it that we haven't passed the legislation already? I'll believe it when it actually happens--2007 was the year that it almost-certainly-probably-most likely-definitely-maybe happened. And then what happened?

Anyhow, we're veering way off. You talked about social freedoms and that's a good and fine point. Unfortunately, you decided to back that point up with a statement that's both untrue and silly (gay couples can't hold hands in Texas? What, in a state that big with so many big cities? Who are you kidding here?). Just recant that and realize you were way off-base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City