Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the next "big" city?
Omaha 25 6.78%
Jacksonville 23 6.23%
Charlotte 163 44.17%
Albuquerque 35 9.49%
Riverside 10 2.71%
Oklahoma City 37 10.03%
other, be specific 76 20.60%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

I was asked by private message why I was comparing msa's to csa's. In particular, I was asked about Albuquerque.
Well, my answer is simple. I was comparing PCSA's since, in its infinite wisdom, the Census Bureau has made it impossible to compare apples to apples any other way with some metros having a multiple number of components while others do not. In the end, the PCSA table is the closest thing we have to compare the full extent of metros nationally. Why does Charlotte's PCSA have 8 components while places like Albuquerque only has one? I don't know. But, I suspect that Albuquerque's one component measures what the Census Bureau considers the full extent of the city's metro area.
So, to that end and according to the table, Albuquerque is a primary census area and is not part of a greater CSA. Now, that table could be wrong and am happy to look at tables that show otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
BTW, this poll is not an apples to apples comparison in my opinion.
Using the PCSAs of the cities listed in the poll, it comes out like this:
Omaha - 58th in size
Jacksonville - 40th in size
Charlotte - 24th in size
Albuquerque - 60th in size
Riverside - a part of L.A.'s #2
Oklahoma City - 44th in size

Clearly, Riverside is part of the largest metro of the group. However, it can't be compared to the others because it's a piece of a much larger pie in which it is not the "headliner" city. It lacks the ability to become its own identity in the way that the others can.
As for the others, they range from 24th to 60th with largest one being 2.5 times the size of the smallest one. These are not comparable in my opinion and this looks like another one of these push polls where there is an intended correct answer by the O.P. I could be wrong but it feels that way to me. So, I am choosing to not participate in the poll itself.

While I think it's logical to compare what might happen going forward between Jacksonville (40) and Oklahoma City (44) or between Omaha (58) and Albuquerque (60), I think it's silly to have Riverside, Charlotte and Albuquerque lumped together in a horse race of any sort.
I created this thread a long time ago. I didn't realize how much of a distance was between Charlotte and Omaha or ABQ. I knew their city proper population was relatively close. Riverside, I didn't realize was sort of a bedroom community to LA. At the time I had heard about Omaha's growth and was curious to what extent. Now, as you know I am from Charlotte and love my city. However, as the OP I voted for Jacksonville. I can't remember why though.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I was asked by private message why I was comparing msa's to csa's. In particular, I was asked about Albuquerque.
Well, my answer is simple. I was comparing PCSA's since, in its infinite wisdom, the Census Bureau has made it impossible to compare apples to apples any other way with some metros having a multiple number of components while others do not. In the end, the PCSA table is the closest thing we have to compare the full extent of metros nationally. Why does Charlotte's PCSA have 8 components while places like Albuquerque only has one? I don't know. But, I suspect that Albuquerque's one component measures what the Census Bureau considers the full extent of the city's metro area.
So, to that end and according to the table, Albuquerque is a primary census area and is not part of a greater CSA. Now, that table could be wrong and am happy to look at tables that show otherwise.
To add to what you're saying, the components in Charlotte's CSA are mostly micro areas with Charlotte as the only MSA. Places like Mooresville, Shelby, and Salisbury in NC and Chester and Lancaster in SC are very connected to Charlotte, but for some reason aren't apart of the MSA. As we all know Raleigh and Durham are one metro and never should have been separated. The PCSA is an attempt to capture the true SIZE of a metro. IMO, the urban area tells how a metro FEELS.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:29 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
IMO, the urban area tells how a metro FEELS.
Well....sort of....
The urban area tells you how the more developed parts of a metro FEELS but it doesn't tell you diddly squat about how the the more suburban and more rural/less undeveloped parts of a metro feel.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,211 times
louisville i think the population of the city in 10 years will 820,000 and the metro will be 2.3 million

Old 10-23-2010, 03:32 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvilleisbig View Post
louisville i think the population of the city in 10 years will 820,000 and the metro will be 2.3 million

I hope it is,,I love Louisville, and it is totally underrated.....

Old 10-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Well....sort of....
The urban area tells you how the more developed parts of a metro FEELS but it doesn't tell you diddly squat about how the the more suburban and more rural/less undeveloped parts of a metro feel.
True. I guess I should say the urban area gives you an idea of urban an area feels. The suburban areas and rural areas are definitely not connected in this sense.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
How is Louisville underrated??? I don't recall too many threads dissing Louisville. And it has national attention due to the Kentucky Derby.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:29 PM

402 posts, read 1,021,184 times
I'd put Sacramento on the list. It is on the fringe of becoming a metropolis type city in terms of population. The Metro is roughly 2.2 mil people, which is bigger than metro areas such as Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Charelotte, which have professional sports teams and are already viewed as major US cities. There have been two 25+ office buildings built downtown within the last 5 years, and while that is not entirely impressive, two 59 story residential condo towers began construction there about 5 years ago, but were dropped due to rising costs (there is now a giant hole downtown where the pile driving began). Those condos would have been the largest on the entire west coast and are a signal that Sacramento is at least beginning to think and plan like a city should of it's size.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:05 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How is Louisville underrated??? I don't recall too many threads dissing Louisville. And it has national attention due to the Kentucky Derby.
Its not that its underrated its just like unknown on the national level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City