Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rather live in Seattle or Philadelphia?
Philadelphia 153 45.27%
Seattle 165 48.82%
I can't Decide 20 5.92%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times

Advertisements

Bring It: Photog War. Starring Kristen Dunst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 06:58 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Bring It: Photog War. Starring Kristen Dunst.
Im done. Seattle may have the nicer natural setting and is arguably the nicer place to live but I think its pretty obvious which of the two is the better "City". Seattle looks like some bizarro hybrid, part remote mountain resort/part city. Personally, and there si nothing wrong with this, Seattle comes off as a bunch of posers,suburban in flesh/ Urban wannabees.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:16 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,232 times
Definately Seattle, Philadelphia would be a lot more appealing if the crime rate wasn't high.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:35 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Im done. Seattle may have the nicer natural setting and is arguably the nicer place to live but I think its pretty obvious which of the two is the better "City". Seattle looks like some bizarro hybrid, part remote mountain resort/part city. Personally, and there si nothing wrong with this, Seattle comes off as a bunch of posers,suburban in flesh/ Urban wannabees.
You might actually try spending some quality time in Seattle. Having been to Philly many times, I suspect you'd probably like Seattle. But if you expect it to be like Philly, you'll be disappointed. Don't order a Cheesesteak here please. Go with the salmon, crab or halibut...and definitely explore our espresso madness, as well as going to Pike Place Market to get a real feel for the city and the bounty of food we have here.

Seattle doesn't have the amazing amount of history, or the European Influence and strong Ethnic Neighborhoods so prevalent in the older East Coast Cities.

That's not to say it doesn't have great stories to tell or influences from various cultures. It does. Although Seattle's reputation for the arts is quite strong.

The Book "Skid Road" by Murray Morgan outlines the early years of Seattle and its place in history. The actual term skid road is believed to have come from downtown Seattle in the 1800's after the Alaskan Gold Rush. There's strong Native American Influence out here. (Seattle is a native American name, as are so many others like Tacoma, Spokane, Yakima, etc.) As a major port of entry, there is a strong Asian influence as well.

Seattle people do take greater pride in its beauty than its substance. I'll give you that.

But it's really hard to look past the amazing physical landscape out here. On a spectacular day it's easy to see why. It just commands attention.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM

196 posts, read 614,356 times
Quote:
Seattle looks like some bizarro hybrid, part remote mountain resort/part city. Personally, and there si nothing wrong with this, Seattle comes off as a bunch of posers,suburban in flesh/ Urban wannabees.
To be honest, I partially agree with you, but "there si nothing wrong with this"?? You sure phrase it like there's something wrong with it! A touch less hostility, maybe? Just because some people don't like their cities quite as urban as you and I do doesn't mean they are posers!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
To be honest, I partially agree with you, but "there si nothing wrong with this"?? You sure phrase it like there's something wrong with it! A touch less hostility, maybe? Just because some people don't like their cities quite as urban as you and I do doesn't mean they are posers!

Its all just a little too neat + perfect for me not to mention isolated. Its gorgeous but when I see tens if not hundreds of acres of Pine + Spruce trees I want to be on a wilderness excursion not on the fringe of an urban city.Its an interesting clash but as I mentioned there is something amiss with it for me. You can get food poisoning eating rotten pork but you can also get violently ill overindulging on sweets. Seattle is the overindulgence on sweets. It makes me want to puke. Thats strictly my opinion and my problem.

Last edited by rainrock; 12-09-2009 at 08:08 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 10:19 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Well, here's a question:

Which one has the greater amount of suburban sprawl? Which one has the least amount of that sprawl between urban parts and rural/natural parts? It's possible Seattle has done better, either through legislation or the confines of topography, with keeping that sprawl in check and that accounts for being able to go from urban to wilderness so quickly. If that's the case, then that's much more my cup of tea than a sea of suburban development.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:37 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I've lived on the east coast most of my life, D.C., Newark, New York and yes I did enjoy living in those places. Moving out west has been nothing but a joy. I use to rave about the east but the west including Seattle is even more of a joy. I love urban too and Seattle has that. Its just its unsurpassed natural beauty along with all the big city amenities that just makes it twice as nice. Driving to New York on the NJ Turnpike was ok but driving on I-5 or I-90 and seeing the Cascade Mountains, the Canadian Rockies, Mt. St. Helen, Mt. Hood, Vancouver B.C., Whistler, Portland and the Oregon Coast is something that everyone should see. Come on up for a visit. It was love at first sight.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times
Quote:
Its all just a little too neat + perfect for me not to mention isolated. Its gorgeous but when I see tens if not hundreds of acres of Pine + Spruce trees I want to be on a wilderness excursion not on the fringe of an urban city.Its an interesting clash but as I mentioned there is something amiss with it for me. You can get food poisoning eating rotten pork but you can also get violently ill overindulging on sweets. Seattle is the overindulgence on sweets. It makes me want to puke. Thats strictly my opinion and my problem.
Way to show that Philly eloquence and class as always, rainrock!

"Yous guys got nice town, but me think it too pretty! Raaarrr Seattle baaaaadd! Me no like too pretty, make head hurt. Philly better!"

Dude why don't you ever just man up and admit that you're just bitter when you've been outdone. You decided to initiate a photo war here just as you have in the past (with plenty of photos I've seen multiple times from you ), and got spanked by a much more picturesque set of photos. Personally I think the c*cksize contests are ridiculous, but you initiated it with what you thought were ways Philly could compete in the beauty department, and when you got owned all of a sudden you could no longer contain your composure. As always, stay classy Philadelphia!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
It's not pine and spruce--it's douglas-fir and western hemlock. Urban doesn't have to mean dirty and gritty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City