Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 114,755 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering moving from New York City to Miami;

The reasons are the cold winter, stress and the fact that I like the beaches and, i like friendy people ( ive heard Floridans are more
likely to welcome you with a smile than NYkers);

My hearth says Miami but head and my checking account says stay in NY;

I speak spanish and I like the hispanic culture and i just feel very confortable in a Latino community
but I am also ambitious and I have lived the fast life for the past 6 years;

Will I get bored in Miami? Will I get a $35K salary only? will I miss NY?

I do know I will love the palms, beaches and sunsets but I do want to have a decent income and career;

HAs anyone experienced this MOve NY to Miami?
Any regrets?

Pls share your opinion

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:10 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130st View Post
Hi,

I am considering moving from New York City to Miami;

The reasons are the cold winter, stress and the fact that I like the beaches and, i like friendy people ( ive heard Floridans are more
likely to welcome you with a smile than NYkers);

My hearth says Miami but head and my checking account says stay in NY;

I speak spanish and I like the hispanic culture and i just feel very confortable in a Latino community
but I am also ambitious and I have lived the fast life for the past 6 years;

Will I get bored in Miami? Will I get a $35K salary only? will I miss NY?

I do know I will love the palms, beaches and sunsets but I do want to have a decent income and career;

HAs anyone experienced this MOve NY to Miami?
Any regrets?

Pls share your opinion

thanks
Hello there.

I am a brooklynite living in South Florida so let me take a crack at it.

1. Pay is bad here
2. Cost of living is on par with NYC
3. No mass transit so have a car (well depending on where you are in Miami and where you job is, you MIGHT be able to get away with not having a car)
4. if you think you will escape the hustle and bustle of life then your mistaken. That's EVERYWHERE and I have lived in about five or six cities in three different states. The daily grind is ever present my man
5. Beaches, yeah we got those!
6. Friendly people, ummm well I guess that depends on where you are in NYC and where in Florida you are comparing that too. I know a lesbian couple who moved from Florida to Brooklyn (they were returning to the city). I spoke to one of them later on and she said she was living in Bay Ridge, told me her neighbors brought her a fruit cake and everyone came over to welcome her and her partner. She said one of the things that made her leave south florida was she missed knowing her dry cleaner and the guy who owns the bodega (as opposed to Florida where no one knows each other or speaks). She lived in Fort Lauderdale while she was here, not Miami so not sure how applicable this story is to Miami life. But I would assume it depends on where in Miami you live. I know a guy from the Bronx who lives in Miami and he says he feels far more sense of a community in Miami where he is now than he ever did any place else in South Florida

Lastly, come down, visit and see if its yoru thing. But don't come down here as atourist, come down here as a person relocating. Come down, drive in rush hour traffic, go to the local spots, see how people are.

For me, I have been trying to move back to NYC for the last year with little luck. With that said, if I had to remain in South Florida I would choose Miami over Broward county (where I live now) any day of the week. but thats not all of Miami either, I only like the eastern half of the city core, the rest of it is dead to me.

Best of luck man

Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Are you single Wild? Just wondering what makes you like Miami over Broward and what part of Broward.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Are you single Wild? Just wondering what makes you like Miami over Broward and what part of Broward.
Married, 9 yrs as of Jan 16

I have lived in Plantation, Sunrise, Davie and Lauderhill. Lived in homes in Plantation and Lauderhill.

I have had friends who lived in Sailboat bend (area in fort lauderdale), Weston, Melrose Park, Lauderhill, Coral Springs, Parkland. So I have spent extensive amounts of time in all of the above.

So now why do I like Miami over Fort lauderdale? because I don't like suburbia. I don't like having to drive everywhere. I like a since of community and knowing my neighbors. I like when cities have events that are free for the citizens. I should add to that, GOOD events, not corny events you go that are basically oppurtunities for local businesses to sell their goods to you. I like to be able to take my family out to really good restuarants. I like a lot of diversity. I like mass transit. I like a city that has economic promise. I like a city that is on the come up politically.

For the areas I like in Miami, namely Morningside all the way down to coral gables, those places have what I am looking for. The parks in Broward suck. They may be good to locals or someone who never lived in a actual city but for someone who has, they are not that great. You should look at what Miami has planned for bicentennial park and Bayfront park. If I can find the plans I will post them. I am just hands down impressed with Miami. Now if it were up to me, I would raise my kid in Brooklyn but that looks impossible right now.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:23 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
You are making NY more and more appealing to me - LOL.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 114,755 times
Wild,

I appreciated your response;

From your comments, It sounds like economic matters makes NY more attractive than Miami,

I do appreciate a lot of things about NY, especially tha fact that I can SAVE money here,
But if someone ask me: where would you spend your ideal night?
or how would you spend the perfect Sunday?
that answer would not be NY

Like you suggested i need to get down there and check myself,
and see also how much of a salary I can get with by background;

WHY DID you move from NY bytheway??

Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM

43 posts, read 215,539 times
"The reasons are the cold winter, stress and the fact that I like the beaches and, i like friendy people ( ive heard Floridans are more
likely to welcome you with a smile than NYkers);"

Unfortunately, there are no Floridians actually living in Miami anymore. So you are probably going to see much of the same things as if you were still in NY.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:52 PM

99 posts, read 425,941 times
What a stupid thing to say.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM

43 posts, read 215,539 times
Why is what I said stupid?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:17 PM

99 posts, read 425,941 times
Man, you really are something?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City