Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:02 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migsly View Post
This is a major difference between Miami and NY. Miami does not generally welcome homosexuals with open arms.
Yeah, there are no gay people on South Beach either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianM09 View Post
I was at the first two Bike Miami's, Its a great thing they're doing with that. Hopefully it eventually spreads to bigger habbits through out the city.
They stole the idea from NYC but still its a great thing. For February they will have Flagler Fest along with Bike Miami on the same day. Supposedly they have big things planned.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 PM

99 posts, read 426,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Just take a look at the Upper East Side, Buena Vista area. Its a very bohemian, artsy, "gay" area. And last time I was there (yesterday!), South Beach was still the same ole' South Beach, if you know what I mean. Outside of that I don't see anything too terrible to imply Miami is a homophobic city, you definetly hear alot of the crap from the ignorant bunch, but like most trivials thats something you deal with everywhere. As a heterosexual, I can't really know how its is to live in a city and how accepted or comftorable you would be here. We have major news anchors, plenty of them that are openly gay and have been on air forever, gay elected officials, and frankly a reputation popular with the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
They stole the idea from NYC but still its a great thing. For February they will have Flagler Fest along with Bike Miami on the same day. Supposedly they have big things planned.
I had understood that city officials got it from Bogota in Colombia, either way I will hopefully make it to the next one.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:29 PM

20 posts, read 51,946 times
Default ?

Are you serious? Miami is filled with gays. Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Bch Co are 1,2,and 3 when it comes to amount of residents with HIV and AIDS. There are a lot of gays in South FL.

Quote:
This is a major difference between Miami and NY. Miami does not generally welcome homosexuals with open arms.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianM09 View Post
Just take a look at the Upper East Side, Buena Vista area. Its a very bohemian, artsy, "gay" area. And last time I was there (yesterday!), South Beach was still the same ole' South Beach, if you know what I mean. Outside of that I don't see anything too terrible to imply Miami is a homophobic city, you definetly hear alot of the crap from the ignorant bunch, but like most trivials thats something you deal with everywhere. As a heterosexual, I can't really know how its is to live in a city and how accepted or comftorable you would be here. We have major news anchors, plenty of them that are openly gay and have been on air forever, gay elected officials, and frankly a reputation popular with the community.

I had understood that city officials got it from Bogota in Colombia, either way I will hopefully make it to the next one.
you sir are right. I forgot about that, NYC and Miami both took it from Bogota

NYC announcement

Tried to find the Bogota video showing they street closures but couldn't find it. I hope a lot of people keep turning out for the Bike Miami. The city will do more for sustainable streets if people show a interest. It is also very good for mom and pop shops downtown Miami. Foot traffic is the best way to drive up businesses for these folks.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 PM

170 posts, read 450,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
South Beach is an island unto itself, so to speak. It's a NYC wannabe.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 PM

25 posts, read 213,741 times
Brickell and the Publix- to get to Brickell, US-1 (Brickell Avenue, turn down 8th street, till hit the bay and entrance to Brickell Key. Yes, it has local amenities. On the otherside of Brickell - we do not go there. no, no - we stay on our side of Brickell Avenue. The entrance to 1-95 is along US-1, before Key Biscayne.

There is a really nice, Catholic Church, local restaurants, hair salon.

Tell me about Bike Miami- where do you bike to and from?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 PM

25 posts, read 213,741 times
Never saw one myself. What do they look like. Are they the men that hold hands and have matching dogs?

Old 01-29-2009, 11:25 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,754 times
Quote:
South Beach is an island unto itself, so to speak. It's a NYC wannabe.
NYC wannabe...what that means is pretty hard to nail down. South Beach is a subtropical vacation/resort place with great beaches. NYC is a (if not the) world-class business/arts center. I'm not sure how South Beach is trying to be New York.

South Beach is more affordable than NYC.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl7 View Post
Brickell and the Publix- to get to Brickell, US-1 (Brickell Avenue, turn down 8th street, till hit the bay and entrance to Brickell Key. Yes, it has local amenities. On the otherside of Brickell - we do not go there. no, no - we stay on our side of Brickell Avenue. The entrance to 1-95 is along US-1, before Key Biscayne.

There is a really nice, Catholic Church, local restaurants, hair salon.

Tell me about Bike Miami- where do you bike to and from?
read this link

Oh and whats with the whole "we stay on our side" thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City