Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM

43 posts, read 215,530 times

Advertisements

If this guy is looking for a friendly welcome because he hears that Floridians in South FL are nice and more "welcoming" than NY'ers, he's gonna be in for a big suprise as S FL is filled with NY'ers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130st View Post
Wild,

I appreciated your response;

From your comments, It sounds like economic matters makes NY more attractive than Miami,

I do appreciate a lot of things about NY, especially tha fact that I can SAVE money here,
But if someone ask me: where would you spend your ideal night?
or how would you spend the perfect Sunday?
that answer would not be NY

Like you suggested i need to get down there and check myself,
and see also how much of a salary I can get with by background;

WHY DID you move from NY bytheway??
Family issues brought us here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywall mud View Post
If this guy is looking for a friendly welcome because he hears that Floridians in South FL are nice and more "welcoming" than NY'ers, he's gonna be in for a big suprise as S FL is filled with NY'ers.
While living here I have come across TONS of native Floridians. They are very clannish/cliquish and if you didn't grow up with them they are not that inviting.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 PM

605 posts, read 1,842,956 times
there arent sunsets in MIA
the sun sets on the west coast not the east DUH

Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 PM

140 posts, read 508,405 times
I see spectacular sunsets over the everglades every day. You just need to be in a building (work or home) with unobstructed western views at least 5 stories off the ground. They're especially stunning this time of the year, before rainy season, when there's some dust in the air, and the sky turns stunning shades of purple and orange.

I've never lived in NY. I'll echo the previous posters suggesting your check it out for yourself. But I disagree with the poster who said the cost of living is comparable -- it isn't. Our sales tax burden is much less state/city income taxes for most middle income or higher residents. Housing costs for renters have dropped like a rock. And salaries in certain professions are competitive, especially if you're in a skilled/technical profession.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:19 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130st View Post
Hi,

I am considering moving from New York City to Miami;

The reasons are the cold winter, stress and the fact that I like the beaches and, i like friendy people ( ive heard Floridans are more
likely to welcome you with a smile than NYkers);

My hearth says Miami but head and my checking account says stay in NY;

I speak spanish and I like the hispanic culture and i just feel very confortable in a Latino community
but I am also ambitious and I have lived the fast life for the past 6 years;

Will I get bored in Miami? Will I get a $35K salary only? will I miss NY?

I do know I will love the palms, beaches and sunsets but I do want to have a decent income and career;

HAs anyone experienced this MOve NY to Miami?
Any regrets?

Pls share your opinion

thanks
Have you decided?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
there arent sunsets in MIA
the sun sets on the west coast not the east DUH
I live in Miami Beach, on the bay. There are often spectacular sunsets.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Everything a young single guy could ever want is found on South Beach. Nightclubs, good music, great beach, pristine water, beautiful parks, great restaurants, and hordes of beautiful women. I lived on MB w/o a car for about a year, but added a motorcycle for a few years after which definitely helped improve the Che-che le fem game. If you work and live on the beach, public transportation is just fine since the island is only twelve blocks wide at its widest point (200 blocks long fyi, just like a mini-manhattan). It's dense, it's hoppin', it's open till 5am. Friendly? I knew every neighbor in my building(s) within 2 weeks and met most of them the first night sitting out on the porch. Met many others the same way as they strolled. Great bunch of people.

The non-stop party thing is way over the top dude. It might wear you out. It did me.

And the other weird thing about MB was how nosy and voyeuristic everybody is. You can't get away from the femme fatales and escandalosas. There's telescopes and binoculars, and then there's the exhibitionism!

And whoever says they've seen no great sunsets has never looked west while standing on the pier at South Pointe.

Get a roach motel in South Beach for a month (they probably still have monthly rentals particularly off season) and go crazy. One things for sure, Miami will not bore you!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM

23 posts, read 127,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Have you decided?
every post was very helpful but Im still very confused,

My head say :stay here in NY and get a good career and travel to Mia
frequently,

My hearth say: just go to MIA and live happily your life, even if this means saving less-to-zero money, having less career oportunity

my friends keeps saying they see me very well living in Mia probably because Im a beach lover and i have that "sunny look' (meaning
blond hair and blue eyes look)

All i know is that i got to try:
my calculator machine says
that a car + ins + gas + other initial expenses I will start with a
out of pocket OF ABOUT $10,000.00...........

I would say if my company cut down my job i will definitely give it a try,

QUIT my job and move cos i want the candy beach and im depressed , oh NO, wouldnt make that mistake

Old 01-27-2009, 09:42 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,142 times
tullio07> QUIT my job and move cos i want the candy beach and im depressed , oh NO, wouldnt make that mistake

Unless you have a ton of money, that would be a huge mistake -- but you know that.

If you care about your current career, stay in New York. If you get an Internet-based career, then it doesn't much matter where you live. If you are a generic professional though, there is not much opportunity here, unless you are a physician, nurse, lawyer, or are involved in international trade (Latin America) or are a higher-up in the entertainment industry (club manager, etc.).

On the other hand, if you want to bum around and can earn enough to survive, South Beach can be fun.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Do you know anything about the Legal industry? Partcularly Legal Assistants or Legal Secretaries - I see that there are jobs and they are in the mid 50k range, but I've been told that these are all lies told by agencies. Can you tell me do you know anyone personally? Also, my husband is an HVAC Mechanic who does sprinkle fitting and plumbing, how would you rate that there? He has 12+ years experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City