Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,475,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
As far the worst neighborhood in all of america, I don't know but Gary Indiana was probably the feakiest thing I had to look at.

this is supposed to be a church
Was that supposed to be an active Church?? Cause if not it just looked like any abandoned building in anywhere USA.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
i didn't mean it as though by him being white he wouldve died. the only reason i even said the word white in my post was because i was trying to get his story correct. also, by "not have survived" i meant that he would of eventually packed up and moved.
Okay thanks for clarifying. I've just read posts by several people who use over-dramatic language and you sounded like one of them at first. Maybe what you said is true then; it just sounded like an exaggeration with you being so certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
It's an exaggeration that someone would have been killed in the south Bronx in the 70s, 80s, early 90s. You would have very good chance of getting robbed, but those who get killed are usually involved in drugs or gangs in some way.
Yeah that sounds more like the reality IMO. In most of the dangerous areas of our country the majority of the murder victims are either involved in one of the 2, or caught in the crossfire of one of the 2. Robbery sounds more like what would happen to the majority of the victims of crime in these bad areas. Maybe assault too. The frequency of murder tends to be exaggerated by a lot of folks.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Okay thanks for clarifying. I've just read posts by several people who use over-dramatic language and you sounded like one of them at first. Maybe what you said is true then; it just sounded like an exaggeration with you being so certain.

Yeah that sounds more like the reality IMO. In most of the dangerous areas of our country the majority of the murder victims are either involved in one of the 2, or caught in the crossfire of one of the 2. Robbery sounds more like what would happen to the majority of the victims of crime in these bad areas. Maybe assault too. The frequency of murder tends to be exaggerated by a lot of folks.

My fiance's dad worked in the south Bronx in the 70s and the worst section of Brooklyn in the 80s. Basically worked in the worst hoods in NYC back when it was REALLY bad. He never was robbed or anything. The worst stuff happened inside the school actually. He had a student take an icicle and try to stab him one time. That was the worst thing that ever happened when he worked then.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
wall street

Old 04-04-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Uhh, I teach in the south Bronx, I know about the hood. I walk through the area all the time when it's still dark, and I've witnessed crime scenes. Trust me, I've seen a lot considering I never lived in the hood. I've also seen the ones in St. Louis and and Philadelphia.

These are the people I encounter with everyday

YouTube - New York Streets DVD (South Bronx)!
Really? You encounter Swizz Beatz and stroll through the projects everyday? Lol j/p

But I gotta say compared to the Chicago clip posted that Bronx one looked pretty tame. Maybe that video doesn't really capture how it really is by your work, but that Chicago one looked much worse in comparison.

Just since it seems a good way to show something of what the OP is asking, here's a couple clips from the Bay Area in places mentioned earlier (and some of the types of people I encounter every day ):

North Richmond, CA:
YouTube - Thizz Nation Block Report Clip - (North Richmond)

East Oakland, CA:
YouTube - East Oakland Shooting

Doublerock, SF, CA:
YouTube - SAMOANS DOUBLE ROCK HOUSING PROJECTS (SAN FRANCISCO)

Hunters Point, SF, CA:
YouTube - Straight out of Hunters Point Intro

San Francisco, CA (Various):
YouTube - Messy Marv

Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
My fiance's dad worked in the south Bronx in the 70s and the worst section of Brooklyn in the 80s. Basically worked in the worst hoods in NYC back when it was REALLY bad. He never was robbed or anything. The worst stuff happened inside the school actually. He had a student take an icicle and try to stab him one time. That was the worst thing that ever happened when he worked then.
Now that's crazy! Man, an icicle?! That's gotta be one of the most creative weapons I've ever heard of. Glad he's still here to talk about it. It must've been wild there back then. I can only imagine.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:27 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Now that's crazy! Man, an icicle?! That's gotta be one of the most creative weapons I've ever heard of. Glad he's still here to talk about it. It must've been wild there back then. I can only imagine.

Yeah, I forgot the school he was in in Brooklyn. It was notoriously the most dangerous high school in the country back then. Apparently there were books written about what went on in this school. I'll have to find out the name of the book he's mentioned a few times.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:13 AM

210 posts, read 845,685 times
Quote:
Really? You encounter Swizz Beatz and stroll through the projects everyday? Lol j/p

But I gotta say compared to the Chicago clip posted that Bronx one looked pretty tame. Maybe that video doesn't really capture how it really is by your work, but that Chicago one looked much worse in comparison.

Just since it seems a good way to show something of what the OP is asking, here's a couple clips from the Bay Area in places mentioned earlier (and some of the types of people I encounter every day ):

North Richmond, CA:
YouTube - Thizz Nation Block Report Clip - (North Richmond)

East Oakland, CA:
YouTube - East Oakland Shooting

Doublerock, SF, CA:
YouTube - SAMOANS DOUBLE ROCK HOUSING PROJECTS (SAN FRANCISCO)

Hunters Point, SF, CA:
YouTube - Straight out of Hunters Point Intro

San Francisco, CA (Various):
YouTube - Messy Marv
thats the bay yup yup. You Cash From the thizz nation block report in north richmond is dead right? He was murdered in vallejo a couple of years back. Got shot in the head at some apartments out there, its a damn shame he was a good rapper. RIP.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I forgot the school he was in in Brooklyn. It was notoriously the most dangerous high school in the country back then. Apparently there were books written about what went on in this school. I'll have to find out the name of the book he's mentioned a few times.
If you find out the name of it could you post it please? That sounds really interesting.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
thats the bay yup yup. You Cash From the thizz nation block report in north richmond is dead right? He was murdered in vallejo a couple of years back. Got shot in the head at some apartments out there, its a damn shame he was a good rapper. RIP.
For real?! Naw I didn't know he was gone but I'm not really surprised. Bay Area rappers seem to have a really short life expectancy. WAY too many have been killed. Was this when there kept being murders at some apartments on Sereno Drive or Solano Ave or one of those? I remember like 2 years ago or so stuff kept happening at one certain apartment complex. Was he one of those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City