Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City is More like the South: Dallas or Richmond?
Dallas, TX 41 52.56%
Richmond, VA 37 47.44%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:40 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,697,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Here's another one, Richmond is not included in the 'Sunbelt'.(Although it includes most of the southern region of the U.S. including Socal & Arizona)Sun Belt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
So what? It doesnt include Kentucky either. And also the Sunbelt includes states that are not Southern at all. California is in the Sunbelt. Thats not the South.

What? It doesnt even include Nashville or Raleigh either ! Wow, dont tell the Nashville people that because they're not in the "Sunbelt" they arent Southern, lol

Richmond is much more Southern than Dallas typically. It doesnt matter if its not a "Sunbelt" City. Mostly because Sunbelt cities are new and built up.

Those pictures are undeniably Southern. In fact, I'm wondering if people are voting for Dallas because shes clearly the under dog, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 06:46 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
That wikipedia article doesn't make sense, it mentions Southern Virginia yet Southern Virginia isn't shown on the map. Also, if that is the only thing that makes you Southern, then Tennessee and Kentucky aren't in the South either.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I just posted pics of Richmond vs Dallas. Im not trying to be partisan either. Im TRYING to be fair.
Yeah, right. Two skyline shots of Dallas is being "fair"? Laughable.

I'll be an honorary Dallasite right now and post some pictures:

Old 02-14-2009, 06:55 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That wikipedia article doesn't make sense, it mentions Southern Virginia yet Southern Virginia isn't shown on the map. Also, if that is the only thing that makes you Southern, then Tennessee and Kentucky aren't in the South either.
But a lot of southern cities are included, and the point was to make a case for Dallas. Its not a full determining factor for being southern though, as I implied AZ and CA are included.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:57 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
But a lot of southern cities are included, and the point was to make a case for Dallas. Its not a full determining factor for being southern though, as I implied AZ and CA are included.
But alot of Southern cities also aren't so Richmond isn't excluded either.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:20 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,743,019 times
Looking at the poll right now, you may lose this one Richmonder27.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:34 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
=Richmonder27;7469057] You're kidding right? Those pics, kudzu, magnolia trees and all- are distinctively Richmond!
Richmond, c'mon, podner...

Take your magnolia tree example? As it is, the true "Southern Magnolia" (Magnolia grandiflora) doesn't grow "naturally" in either Richmond or Dallas.

However, at least according to this map, it does in parts of Texas but not Virginia.

In both states, of course, they will thrive when properly cultivated and all...but their natural range? Well, view this map.

http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/data/atlas/little/magngran.pdf

Old 02-14-2009, 07:37 PM

75 posts, read 192,326 times
Default Richmond is more southern than Dallas

I from Virginia not too far from Richmond. I used to live near Dallas, TX. I know about Richmond Va and Dallas TX. Richmond is more southern than Dallas because city has more history than Dallas. Our speech is more southern. We are more friendly. We know how to cook southern food than Dallas. Dallas is more western than southern. We have plenty of trees. If you do not believe me, history books will tell you.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:47 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcall View Post
I from Virginia not too far from Richmond. I used to live near Dallas, TX. I know about Richmond Va and Dallas TX. Richmond is more southern than Dallas because city has more history than Dallas. Our speech is more southern. We are more friendly. We know how to cook southern food than Dallas. Dallas is more western than southern. We have plenty of trees. If you do not believe me, history books will tell you.
What do you mean by that your speech is "more Southern"? By what standard of Southern American English do you say so?

And why is it (Dallas) "more western"?

Actually, as it is, I acknowledge that the Dallas area today (metroplex) has lost a lot of its historic Southern character. But that is only because of demographic changes...not its basic roots. Such is true of many large Southern cities these days...

Tell me though, what do the history books you bring up "tell" in this realm?

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-14-2009 at 08:19 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 07:50 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,753,564 times
Both Southern, but different types of Southern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City