Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Saint to you like to best?
San Jose-Saint Joseph 3 1.15%
San Francisco-Saint Francis of Asisi-Italy 100 38.46%
Saint Louis (King of France) 36 13.85%
San Diego-Saint Didacus-Spain 40 15.38%
Saint Paul 26 10.00%
Saint Petersburg-Saint Peter. 19 7.31%
San Antonio - Saint Anthony de Padua (Spain-Portugal) 29 11.15%
Another city named after a Saint. 7 2.69%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,229 times

Advertisements

I forgot about this thread. Keep the replies coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 01:33 AM

624 posts, read 905,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
My rankings:
1.) SF (in a class of its own)
2.) San Diego
3.) St. Louis
4.) San Antonio
5.) San Jose
6.) St. Pete
7.) St. Paul

But this really isn't fair to #s 5, 6, and 7 as they represent "second cities" within their metro regions. St. Pete and St. Paul are also very small relative to most of the other cities. Even though ti is larger than SF, San Jose has never got its due regard/respect.
I just spent a week in Springfield, Ill over the 4th of July and landed in St. Louis. What's up with all the abandoned, bombed out looking large red brick buildings we kept seeing from the freeway if believe I-70. Several looked like they may have been residential but not all. What an eye sore it's a shame the city can't rehab them or tear them down. We spent time by the arch and the park setting on the banks of the Mississippi with a great view of downtown opposite of the river very nice.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:30 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times
I just found out that Lousiana has 8 or 9 parishes name after Saints

Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I think Santa means 'holy'. At first, I thought it was the feminine of 'San' as well, but then you have Santa Fe, which means 'Holy Faith', and Santa Cruz, which means 'Holy Cross'.

Anyway, San Francisco of course. Then St. Petersburg, Russia.
It's also the feminized version of 'saint'. Santa Barbara, Santa Clara...

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's also the feminized version of 'saint'. Santa Barbara, Santa Clara...
Well that's just silly.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:49 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,488,928 times
I like Santiago Matamoros, most often called simply Matamoros.

Sure, technically it's not an American city, but it's a border town, so close enough. It's named after Saint James the Moor slayer. The city's pretty much a standard border town dump full of drug trafficking and other debauched criminality (interesting shows involving donkeys down there...), but you've just got to admire a city named after a conqueror whose brutality was so awesome it became part of his nomenclature. It certainly beats what I'm known as: TTK the tie-wearer.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:49 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Well that's just silly.
Why silly? It's true.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:05 PM

767 posts, read 2,065,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I just spent a week in Springfield, Ill over the 4th of July and landed in St. Louis. What's up with all the abandoned, bombed out looking large red brick buildings we kept seeing from the freeway if believe I-70. Several looked like they may have been residential but not all. What an eye sore it's a shame the city can't rehab them or tear them down. We spent time by the arch and the park setting on the banks of the Mississippi with a great view of downtown opposite of the river very nice.

Its called East St. Louis and it is the crime capital of America. You probably also passed through North St. Louis which has a very high crime rate and a murder rate through the roof. A consolation though, most of St. Louis city and St. Louis county are VERY safe and much more appealing to the eye.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:55 PM

624 posts, read 905,873 times
I know all about East St. Louis my relatives in Springfield, IL have been telling me about that place for years. This was to and from Lambert airport north St Louis, I'm sure there are nice areas of St. Louis. We spend all our time in Springfield and a couple days in Chicago. Where are you located in Central Illinois?

Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 AM

767 posts, read 2,065,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I know all about East St. Louis my relatives in Springfield, IL have been telling me about that place for years. This was to and from Lambert airport north St Louis, I'm sure there are nice areas of St. Louis. We spend all our time in Springfield and a couple days in Chicago. Where are you located in Central Illinois?
I am just outside of Springfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City