Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you favor?
Denver CO 77 60.63%
Houston TX 50 39.37%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:05 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
You are most welcome. Curious though, I total can see being the 3rd largest museum district but wonder about the theaters? Denver use to sell the send most tickets to shows outside NYC, wons some Tony's for productions and is the second largest performing arts center in the world after New York City's Lincoln Center, and the largest "of its kind" in the Western Hemisphere.

Denver Performing Arts Complex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe the difference is in the labeling of "center" and "district"?

Trust me, I would have had to have had 3 or 4 bypasses by now if I lived there! The food is low in price, easily attainable and wonderfully delicious.

Totally agree, I could open a few cans from the market and whip up what Taco Cabana serves. I just wish Irma's was open year round in Houston. Irma herself is a sweet lady and has always come to my table to ask about the meal. I usually look upset when she sees me because she looks exactly like my grandmother who past. She made it worse by hugging me once. Even her food reminds me of what I ate as a kid, that is a gem of a place.
A Performing Arts Center is a complex of venues housed under a single roof. A district is a collection of independent venues located in a general vicinity. For example, New York's Lincoln Center doesn't have anything to do with the Broadway Theatre District in Midtown.

To complicate matters further:

Minneapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Minneapolis is second only to New York City in live theater per capita and is the third-largest theater market in the U.S.

Houston Theater District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The district, with 12,948 seats for live performances and 1,580 movie seats, ranks second in the United States for the number of theater seats in a concentrated downtown area and is one of only five cities with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines.

Theatre in Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
With more than a dozen performing arts venues, the city's theatre district ranks as the second largest in the United States after Manhattan's Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 01:28 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
di⋅ver⋅si⋅ty

Noun, plural -ties.
1.the state or fact of being diverse; difference; unlikeness.2.variety; multiformity.3.a point of difference.

Synonyms:
2. change, difference, variation, dissimilarity.

The word 'crime' or the term 'fatherless baby' are not in the definition of diversity. Crime is crime and it is ugly and wrong and dead beat dads are not specific to any race or culture.

For me, diversity means variations of food, learning about different people and their cultures and attending unique celebrations. Think about all of the displays that are at any museum, without diversity throughout history we would have nothing to look at.

good post, i didn't see your response before

Old 03-03-2009, 01:54 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:
Is there a Papasito's in the DFW area? I am now getting a craving for Houston food!!!
Yes!

Pappasito's Dallas:
10433 Lombardy Ln
214-350-1970

Richardson, Ft Worth and Arlington also have locations.

If you have some extra bucks to spend (alot of extra bucks), check out Pappa Bros Steakhouse next door. It's fabulous. Usually 2 can dine on one order of steak.

Pappasito's Cantina Locations! Have the best in Tex-mex with us! (http://www.pappasitos.com/locations.htm - broken link)

Shame. Your post encouraged me to place a Crawfish combo order at Pappadeaux today.

Denver, I think I could easily move to your city and enjoy life there. I love the mountains and weather. Certain areas of downtown Denver look similar to Uptown Dallas.

Last edited by First24; 03-03-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
OMG! I could hug you Dangerfield, I can't wait to get me some Pappasito's and will do so this coming Saturday!

A little Crawfish Combo won't kill you, that is as long as you didn't eat it all too quickly! I get lots of attention, good and bad, when I wear my Raggin' Cajun t-shirt that says, "Pinch the Tail, Suck the Head!" Not sure what folks are thinking but I love crawfish and that is how I eat them!

Our restaurants in Denver are not in abundance like in Houston and can tend to be on the more expensive or healthy oriented side. But there are gems to be found here and if you ever come up for a visit, do ask for recommendations.

Uptown Dallas is still coming around with its development, but it is slightly similar to LoDo. LoDo has three stadium/sports arenas (Coors Field/Pepsi Center/Invesco at Mile High) and a Six Flaggs. So picture that in Uptown Dallas and toss in it being downtown. LoDo is more historic wearhouses verses new structures. I hang out in Uptown in Dallas for the Bally's gym and the restaurants. It has a way to go and the space to grow and when it is all done it will be great. I like the that the trolley there will take you downtown so this is great for the residents that live there and work in the CBD.

I shot some pics of LoDo recently:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...l-central.html

Dallas last summer:

Photos of my visit to Wonderful Dallas!

Thanks again for letting me know about Pappsito's!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 09:33 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Interesting comments and ratings on the Houston side of this post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas/575757-houston-tx-vs-denver-co.html

Thanks for running this experiment C2H!

Denver Aztec

Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Well sure, but the negatives just described a ton of other cities.

And you left out 95% of the positives.

If you're going to be so unfair, you should provide a disclaimer!
In CherryMagic's defense, it is hard to come up with positive statements when you really dislike the place you are living. We should probably be more fair to Houston and point out the good things, and when we come up with some, we will. (just kidding.)
My biggest dislikes of Houston are: heat & humidity that is so horrible it makes it hard to breath; terrible traffic - although I10 has gotten so much better; over-populated, everywhere I go it is crowded; galveston is disgusting, as far as beaches go.
Likes: very low cost of living compared to just about everywhere, good paying jobs, so many great places to eat, theatre district, shopping.
Also, I will dearly miss HEB when we leave.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
In CherryMagic's defense, it is hard to come up with positive statements when you really dislike the place you are living. We should probably be more fair to Houston and point out the good things, and when we come up with some, we will. (just kidding.)
My biggest dislikes of Houston are: heat & humidity that is so horrible it makes it hard to breath; terrible traffic - although I10 has gotten so much better; over-populated, everywhere I go it is crowded; galveston is disgusting, as far as beaches go.
Likes: very low cost of living compared to just about everywhere, good paying jobs, so many great places to eat, theatre district, shopping.
Also, I will dearly miss HEB when we leave.
Sorry, I just don't get it.
- IMO, it's downright absurd for anyone to complain about Houston's weather right now with the absolutely gorgeous weather we've had lately. Anyone who complains is out of their mind.
- We must be going to two different places named Galveston, because "disgusting" is something I've never noticed. It's not Cancun or even FL for sure, but it's a decent beach.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:04 PM

469 posts, read 1,451,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Sorry, I just don't get it.
- IMO, it's downright absurd for anyone to complain about Houston's weather right now with the absolutely gorgeous weather we've had lately. Anyone who complains is out of their mind.
- We must be going to two different places named Galveston, because "disgusting" is something I've never noticed. It's not Cancun or even FL for sure, but it's a decent beach.
Oh gosh, I did not mean now, I meant the summer months, May-October.
I would prefer to live somewhere with an actual winter, and I would LOVE to experience a real Fall again. It is depressing to go pick a pumpkin when it is in the high 80's to low 90's. Also, I was wearing capris and a short sleeve shirt on Christmas Day because it was so warm. It is just hard for me to get into the holiday season when it is so warm outside.
Summers here are brutal.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:48 AM

137 posts, read 424,458 times
Denver by a huge distance because of the weather alone. I can't handle extreme heat and humidity.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 PM

205 posts, read 720,606 times
I don't care for Houston so I vote for Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City