Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Most Overhyped on This Forum?
Omaha, Nebraska 8 8.00%
Richmond, Virginia 21 21.00%
Pueblo, Colorado 5 5.00%
Scranton, Pennsylvania 8 8.00%
Buffalo, New York 5 5.00%
Los Angeles, California 13 13.00%
Houston, Texas 46 46.00%
Chicago, Illinois 20 20.00%
Miami, Florida 7 7.00%
Louisville, Kentucky 2 2.00%
Frederick, Maryland 0 0%
St. Louis, Missouri 4 4.00%
Denver, Colorado 8 8.00%
Santa Fe, New Mexico 1 1.00%
North Carolina (ALL OF IT) 18 18.00%
Oil City, Pennsylvania (Just for Kicks) 6 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:17 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times

Advertisements

Either way.............. My vote for most overhyped city is a tie between Altoona, Pennsylvania & Muncie, Indiana.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
I think all of us Houston posters should take a look at the poll results and realize we should take a looooong break from talking about Houston. That would probably be the best way to improve the image of the city on this forum.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
This is wrong.

And uninformed.
No, it's not. Unless a person grows up there, no well-traveled educated person actually likes Houston or Atlanta from a city-planning standpoint. If you've been to the cultural capitals of Western Europe, the shortcomings of Houston and Atlanta are so obvious that they go without saying. The only reasons to live in either city are to (1) be near a job, (2) live in a suburban environment with warm winters (hey, you're in the suburbs anyway, so why not?), or (3) because you like the regional or ethnic culture.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think all of us Houston posters should take a look at the poll results and realize we should take a looooong break from talking about Houston. That would probably be the best way to improve the image of the city on this forum.
No, it just shows we have lots of haters. Have you looked at the thread asking which city will lose population due to water? People love at pick on Houston and that is why you see us defending it. You dislike the city so you don't have the same pride as us and we shouldn't have to stop defending our city because people on this forum are ignorant and misinformed.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
No, it's not. Unless a person grows up there, no well-traveled educated person actually likes Houston or Atlanta from a city-planning standpoint. If you've been to the cultural capitals of Western Europe, the shortcomings of Houston and Atlanta are so obvious that they go without saying. The only reasons to live in either city are to (1) be near a job, (2) live in a suburban environment with warm winters (hey, you're in the suburbs anyway, so why not?), or (3) because you like the regional or ethnic culture.
And people wonder why people from HOU and ATL are always talking about their cities?? If you respond your considered inferior and annoying, but if you ignore it, being on this forum is pointless.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
The below post illustrates why we have to defend ourselves from the generalizing type without a clue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post

Old 03-10-2009, 05:11 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
The below post illustrates why we have to defend ourselves from the generalizing type without a clue
Why do you have to defend yourself against what he just said? His post was ruined when he started off saying "any well traveled educated person". At that point most people will just ignore the rest of what he had to say. Pick your battles.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:14 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'd like to, once again, point out that this thread has deteriorated into a Houston v. Atlanta thread.

I know we all want to "defend" our cities, but if someone says something that's so far off the wall crazy, why even respond?! By coming out and "defending" every little remark about your city, you're only making it worse. I personally laugh a little each time I open a new thread and see people bickering, once again, about Houston and Atlanta (and I LOVE Atlanta). The "defenses" you all are making actually do more to support the people knocking your cities than it does to defend your city, especially in a thread like this one.

If nothing else, just learn to let things roll off your shoulders a bit better. This is a forum that's open to everyone in the world, so you're always going to have someone saying something ignorant about your city. Most of us have enough common sense to know what's true and what isn't true. Even still, everyone's entitled to their opinion about a city and if they haven't been there, people will be able to see the ignorance in their commentary.

But MAN, those of you bickering about Atlanta and Houston are just emphasizing why the results of this poll are what they are.
I TOTALLY AGREE! Except I would have said "and I LOVE Houston" instead.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:16 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post

I think we all know that a statement like THIS is where the actual problem begins and is perpetuated...
Those are the posts (the one you quoted) to just sit back and laugh at. Atlanta is a hell of a lot more than just a sprawling strip mall. Last I checked, the Olympic committee doesn't delegate the Olympic Games to sprawling strip malls. CNN isn't located in a strip mall, nor is one of the nation's greatest Aquariums. I think (or at least HOPE) we all know better than to take a post like that seriously.

As far as defending it for the sake of "keeping potential residents and visitors from being misinformed," do you really WANT someone to be in Atlanta who truly believes that it's a sprawling strip mall? If someone tells me that all Bostonians are cold, provincial racist whites, then I quickly get an idea of what I'm dealing with and move on. Sure, sometimes it's worth fighting back if someone says something truly misleading, but saying that "Atlanta is a stripmall" is not misleading, it's completely incorrect and off the wall. Sometimes we have to pick our battles.

If someone truly doesn't like the city I live in or will be living in in 6 months (Boston), which there are many who don't, that's absolutely fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. DeaconJ and Crazy Virgo Child seem to have been to the city and for various reasons didn't care for it. That's totally fine, there's no reason to defend against that. Different strokes.

Lookout Kid, on the other hand seems to believe that everyone has the same opinion of urban planning that he/she does. Not everyone wants to live in a city like Boston where it's nearly impossible to drive. Many people prefer a city with a blend of urban and suburban like Atlanta and many people enjoy the Autocentric nature of Houston. It seems almost pointless to waste pages trying to steer such a misguided post straight because lets face it, it's not going to happen. Most of us realize this is probably a 16 year old kid who's opinions will only change as he/she grows up and experiences more.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
And you are mature? Maybe you need to brush up on the definition

The fact that it has all those problems just like anywhere else makes it just another city. Some on here make it out to be so much better than anywhere else. This is why it is overhyped
Moderator cut: unnecessary
I wrote "now I'm no better than you..shame" right underneath where you bolded.
Oh well my opinion stands

Last edited by houstoner; 03-11-2009 at 05:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City