Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfield County vs. Westchester vs. Northern NJ
Fairfield County (Greenwich; Darien; New Canaan; Westport; Fairfield, etc.) 18 30.00%
Westchester (Chappaqua; Scarsdale; Bronxville; Larchmont; Armonk; Rye etc.) 12 20.00%
Northern NJ (Alpine; Saddle River; Short Hills; Ridgewood etc.) 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:17 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times

Advertisements

NNJ definitely has a better view

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I don't know why the OP didn't include Rockland county. You can't get from Fairfield to Westchester to northern NJ without going thru Rockland! It basically flows into northern NJ seamlessly, and has a lot of similarities to Westchester as well.

As a Rockland Native, if we group ourselves with one of the other three choices, I'd have to say its a mix between NNJ and Westchester.....which it literally is wedged between, making my point moot.

So, I vote Rockland!......but i clicked the bubble next to Northern NJ cuz Rockland wasnt an option.

Make Rockland an option! :P
Yeah, I'd go with Rockland- but that's if the "NNJ" was more specific, all of NNJ compared to two single counties is pretty unfair. But if the comparison was tweaked I'd say:

Rockland
Bergen
Westchester
Fairfield

In that order.

Rockland is absolutely beautiful. I love Tarrytown/Nyack/Nanuet- Crossing the Tappanzee offers stunning views whether it's the palisade cliffs or historic Tarrytown/South Nyack, or even the NYC skyline in the distance.
The Pallisades Mall is great, even though give the edge to the Garden State Plaza- no biggie.
Harriman State Park is really what gets my vote for Rockland county

I'd hate to continue my rambling, but I'd prefer Orange county over anything in the NYC metro.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If your a bird. Or if you have your own private helicopter. On the other hand some people in Alpine may have their own helicopter!
Lol, obviously there will probably be traffic. You're right though, most people in Alpine can probably afford their own helicoptor.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:36 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Greenwich is only a 20~30 min drive to Midtown Manhattan.
no way. more like 40 minutes at an absolute minimum, and that's only if there's very light traffic AND if you're located in the southwestern corner of town, right on the border with port chester (westchester county) and near I-95.

if you live in the central, eastern, or northern parts of town, or if you drive during even moderate traffic conditions (extremely likely along the I-95/merritt/hutch corridor), then it will take 45-50 minutes at an absolute minimum, and could easily take 60+ minutes.

i used to live in CT back in the day, and it would routinely take me 45-50 minutes at a minimum (even with moderate traffic) from greenwich to midtown, and sometimes 90-120 minutes during really bad traffic conditions, which aren't uncommon. the problem is not just CT residents trying to get to nyc (or beyond), but also all of the other folks driving from elsewhere in new england.

and don't forget that traffic in nyc proper is simply horrendous - my car has literally crawled from greenwich all the way down through westchester and the bronx to manhattan on a number of occasions due to normal rush hour traffic in the bronx/manhattan that backed everything up for miles.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,039,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ Lol, if it's about how fast you can get to the city then definitely North Jersey. Alpine is literally like 5 minutes away from Manhattan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If your a bird. Or if you have your own private helicopter. On the other hand some people in Alpine may have their own helicopter!
i think clean polo may have been referring to the driving distance between the southernmost edge of alpine (i.e. where the high-end rio vista housing development is located, right by the border with tenafly) and upper manhattan (right by the gw bridge). but even so, 5 minutes is an exaggeration. i've driven that exact route numerous times, and even with light traffic, it'll take about 10 minutes. of course, with any traffic at all it could be 15-20 minutes or more.

the fastest i've ever driven from rio vista/alpine to the west side of midtown (say, around 10th ave & 59th st) was a little over 20 minutes. but that was when there were no cars on the road, so it isn't realistic during most times of the day. with typical mid-day or immediate post-rush hour traffic, it's 30-40 minutes, and during rush hour, it could easily be 50-60 minutes or more - if there's a huge backup at the bridge, forget about getting home in under 90 minutes.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:22 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
i think clean polo may have been referring to the driving distance between the southernmost edge of alpine (i.e. where the high-end rio vista housing development is located, right by the border with tenafly) and upper manhattan (right by the gw bridge). but even so, 5 minutes is an exaggeration. i've driven that exact route numerous times, and even with light traffic, it'll take about 10 minutes. of course, with any traffic at all it could be 15-20 minutes or more.

the fastest i've ever driven from rio vista/alpine to the west side of midtown (say, around 10th ave & 59th st) was a little over 20 minutes. but that was when there were no cars on the road, so it isn't realistic during most times of the day. with typical mid-day or immediate post-rush hour traffic, it's 30-40 minutes, and during rush hour, it could easily be 50-60 minutes or more - if there's a huge backup at the bridge, forget about getting home in under 90 minutes.
Lol yeah I know, 5 minutes was an exaggeration. I was just trying to make my point that Alpine is very close to the city.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,216 times
Fairfield County.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
How long before KONY enters this thread? My guess is within 8 hours.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,904 times
I guess if it couldn't be Nassau, I would pick NNJ with Westchester as a close second.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
How long before KONY enters this thread? My guess is within 8 hours.
lol - he's gonna be pissed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City