Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region do you prefer?
South 122 48.41%
North 130 51.59%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

LOL Ok..but let me give you the flip side. And we have always been friends. (some of my favorite debates are with yankee friends of mine! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Let me try to explain the bible belt mentality.

The bible belt mentality is people that will ask "where do you go to church" within five minutes of meeting a complete stranger. They ASSUME that you go to church and will look down on you if you don't attend church regularly or are not religious in any way.
Just as a preface, you call it a "mentality". Well, within the context of the topic, presumes some sort of unthinking, rigid, adherence to a belief system which allows for nothing other than dogma. Actually, I promise you, Southern Baptists are much more flexible than some New Age adherents! LOL

BUT..the main point is this:

Did/Do you ever think that when a neighbor asks "where do you go to church?"...that they are just trying to be friendly??? And perhaps start a friendship and good neighbor relations? And that you should take it as nothing more than that? It isn't really important where you go to church, or if you do at all, far as that goes. It is an "ice-breaker". One to another, trying to find some common ground with a newcomer.

When I was growing up, a new neighbor got a pecan pie or a cassorole, or SOMETHING....and yes, the question of "where do you go to church?" was occaionally asked. It wasn't asked in an accusatory manner, nor to be prepared to preach.

Now what, really, is wrong with that? It is the Southern way. And meant in the best way.

But bottom line is, as you have chosen to live down here, don't you think you have some obligation to try and adapt to your home? Even if temporary?

Now then, we gotta have a beer together sometime! I'll teach you how to sing Dixie and you buy the brew. Deal?

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-10-2009 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 07:03 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Ok..but let me give you the flip side. And we have always been friends. (some of my favorite debates are with yankee friends of mine! )

Just as a preface, you call it a "mentality". Well, within the context of the topic, presumes some sort of unthinking, rigid, adherence to a belief system which allows for nothing other than dogma. Actually, I promise you, Southern Baptists are much more flexible than some New Age adherents! LOL

BUT..the main point is this:

Did/Do you ever think that when a neighbor asks "where do you go to church?"...that they are just trying to be friendly??? And perhaps start a friendship and good neighbor relations? And that you should take it as nothing more than that? It isn't really important where you go to church, or if you do at all, far as that goes. It is an "ice-breaker". One to another, trying to find some common ground with a newcomer.

When I was growing up, a new neighbor got a pecan pie or a cassorole, or SOMETHING....and yes, the question of "where do you go to church?" was occaionally asked. It wasn't asked in an accusatory manner, nor to be prepared to preach.

Now what, really, is wrong with that? It is the Southern way. And meant in the best way.

But bottom line is, as you have chosen to live down here, don't you think you have some obligation to try and adapt to your home? Even if temporary?
Of course when they ask "where do you go to church" it is intended to be friendly. However, when you tell them that you dont go and they give you a weird look then it is not friendly. Not everyone perceives it as being friendly. I perceive it as rude, nosy, annoying and judgmental.

You might think of it as an icebreaker, but others including myself don't. IMO, asking someone where they go to church is the equivalent of asking:

1. What is your yearly salary?
2. What is the amount of money that you bought/sold you're home for?

The answer that I would always give is none of your blanking business

No, bottom line is that I have not chosen to live here. My father is from Dallas and was forced to move to SC for his job in the Air Force. I moved to SC when I was 13. Obviously, I was forced to live here until I was 18. Since, I have not financially been able to move away because I choose the smart route in life. The smart route was to live in SC with my parents while I dished out around 80,000 dollars for a undergraduate and masters degree. The money that I would have payed in rent in another city went towards my college tuition. I never took out one student loan over a undergraduate and MBA degree!!! So, pretty much I have sucked up moving out of SC to take 80,000 dollars worth of debt off of my mind, which would have grown by more over time with interest.

Trust me when I say this...... If I had the money there is know way in HE11 that I would ever live in SC or anywhere in the deep south

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-10-2009 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 07:17 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
My "northern" values conflict too much for me to live in the South. I think most Americans see themselves as "northerners" or "Yankee" [ie West Coast & Midwest].

Last edited by happ; 04-10-2009 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
Quote:
So which region is the best in food,shopping,sports,etc.
Hands down The North

Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
I can not believe that everyone is picking the north in this poll. How could the north be winning?

Everyone needs to realize that the North has disgusting pizza. Dominos, pizza hut and papajohns are the best. Overall, the food in the north is disgusting. I would love to have fried chicken, grits, collards greens and fried okra with a BBIIGG glass of sweet tea.

And the restaraunts in the south..... Outback Steakhouse, Chili's, Applebees and The Olive Garden (great authentic italian place) have the best food. I love all of the big chain restaurants.

Shopping? Who needs a nordstrom, neiman marcus, bloomingales, etc. Just give me another cookie cutter strip mall with a pic n pay, tj maxx, wal mart and piggly wiggly

I hope that everyone can sense my sarcasm.

That was my joke for the day

Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Of course when they ask "where do you go to church" it is intended to be friendly. However, when you tell them that you dont go and they give you a weird look then it is not friendly. Not everyone perceives it as being friendly. I perceive it as rude, nosy, annoying and judgmental.
You might think of it as an icebreaker, but others including myself don't. IMO, asking someone where they go to church is the equivalent of asking:

1. What is your yearly salary?
2. What is the amount of money that you bought/sold you're home for?

The answer that I would always give is none of your blanking business

No, bottom line is that I have not chosen to live here. My father is from Dallas and was forced to move to SC for his job in the Air Force. I moved to SC when I was 13. Obviously, I was forced to live here until I was 18. Since, I have not financially been able to move away because I choose the smart route in life. The smart route was to live in SC with my parents while I dished out around 80,000 dollars for a undergraduate and masters degree. The money that I would have payed in rent in another city went towards my college tuition. I never took out one student loan over a undergraduate and MBA degree!!! So, pretty much I have sucked up moving out of SC to take 80,000 dollars worth of debt off of my mind, which would have grown by more over time with interest.

Trust me when I say this...... If I had the money there is know way in HE11 that I would ever live in SC or anywhere in the deep south
OK, ok, my friend. There isn't really much more to say on all this. If you really think that a casual and truly interested question as to church attendence is comparable to inquiring into someones income and business affairs, then there isn't much more I can do to draw distinctions....

Bottom line is, the South isn't the place for you. And you obviously know it, and give your reasons as you see it. At the same time? Is it any wonder that you have not been privy to Southern hospitality given your own attitude and bitter outlook?

But we can still have a beer together! I'll sing Dixie and you buy!

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-10-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 09:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
texas, it isn't just the asking, but when u tell them no...they get in your business... making friends with many friends goes well, til u tell them u aren't interested in their church...if you don't belong to a church or don't attend, then you are socially and politically ostracized.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
texas, it isn't just the asking, but when u tell them no...they get in your business... making friends with many friends goes well, til u tell them u aren't interested in their church...if you don't belong to a church or don't attend, then you are socially and politically ostracized.
Fair enough...but let's back up a minute and keep in mind the South is not on trial here. Nothing is more ridiculous and misplaced than the notion that Southern ways need be justified before a kangroo court of yankees who move/live down here and decide to prosecute based on the standards of the states they themselves have ruined and fled.

Hell fire, if I were a martian "beamed" down to Earth, I think I would prefer to be in the South where folks might -- under the worst of social circumstances -- look askance at you for not being a church attender -- than to have nothing at all to do with you! At least here in the South, we are a neighborly people.

Socially and politically ostrasized? Can you be more specific as to personal experience?

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-10-2009 at 10:42 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Exactly. Bible Belt mentality. You answered your own question. Friendly or not, it's a way of life.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly. Bible Belt mentality. You answered your own question. Friendly or not, it's a way of life.
Soooo? Even if it is? What is the alternative you advance, Yankee? What are the disadvantages of the one and the virtues of the other...?

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-10-2009 at 10:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City