Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:07 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
How would you group cities together? Are there different kinds of cities? All the same? All much to individual to categorize?

Example:

NYC
LA - Da Big Tree
Chicago

Miami
New Orleans
Houston - Hot n Heavy
Phoenix
San Antonio

Detroit - Industrial Wastelands
Indianapolis

Milwaukee
Minneapolis
Portland - Progressive Meccas
Seattle
San Francisco
LOL @ Minneapolis being a "progressive mecca" in the company of cities like Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco. Minneapolis is no more liberal or progressive than Madison or Milwaukee.

Here's a new category:

Minneapolis - delusions of grandeur
Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 02:23 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,551 times
I think the majority of the people on city-data will respond with categories as such:

1. Their city

2. Every other godforesaken hole where the sunlight never shines, everybody and their grandmother is a knife-wielding, shadow-stalking thief and all the neighborhoods lack character and history.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Incredibly bold claim.

how about DC? Charleston? Miami?
Agreed. The ignorance that floats around on this forum is astounding.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 PM

66 posts, read 305,998 times
Its funny to me that people in these forums often never seem to actually engage the original question. Instead they'll redefine the parameters of the topic as the first response did (this wasn't about cities vs small towns), simply criticize the question, or say something to the effect of "every city is different and unique and great in its own way" or some such objective statement that goes against the idea of comparison behind the question.

Anyway to answer the original question, I tend to think of cities in terms of levels, grouping them into tiers, based on my perceived importance of them in American society and culture. My perception is something like this:

Level 1:
NYC - America's city, and the only truely global city of the Americas, (the others being London, Paris, and Tokyo)

Level 2: the major players
LA, Chicago, DC

Level 3: Highly influential
San Francisco, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Philadelphia, Boston, Seattle

Level 4: Other majorish cities - ubiquitous in American culture, famous in their own right
San Diego, Portland, Phoenix, Dallas, Baltimore, Detroit, Minneapolis, Denver, St. Louis, New Orleans, Salt Lake City

Level 5: everything else

This is just how I tend to group and percieve cities.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
LOL @ Minneapolis being a "progressive mecca" in the company of cities like Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco. Minneapolis is no more liberal or progressive than Madison or Milwaukee.

Here's a new category:

Minneapolis - delusions of grandeur
Denver
How exactly is Minneapolis not progressive?

I'm not saying Milwaukee and Madison aren't (I thought Madison was, and don't know enough about Milwaukee to comment) but it sounds like you don't know much about Minneapolis.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
I don't understand the categories. As numerous people have stated, Indianapolis is NOT industrial. If anything, I would switch Milwaukee and Indianapolis. Also, what in the world does hot and heavy mean? Sounds inappropriate. If it's referring to weight, then certainly Houston and San Antonio would be included. However, the rest of the cities are not hot AND heavy.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:26 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
How exactly is Minneapolis not progressive?

I'm not saying Milwaukee and Madison aren't (I thought Madison was, and don't know enough about Milwaukee to comment) but it sounds like you don't know much about Minneapolis.
You missed the whole point of my post. I was laughing at the OP placing Milwaukee, Detroit, and Indianapolis in the "Industrial Wasteland" category while simultaneously placing Minneapolis in the "Progressive Meccas" category along with Portland, Seattle, and SF. My point wasn't to say that Minneapolis wasn't a progressive city, just that it wasn't more progressive than Milwaukee.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
You missed the whole point of my post. I was laughing at the OP placing Milwaukee, Detroit, and Indianapolis in the "Industrial Wasteland" category while simultaneously placing Minneapolis in the "Progressive Meccas" category along with Portland, Seattle, and SF. My point wasn't to say that Minneapolis wasn't a progressive city, just that it wasn't more progressive than Milwaukee.
Minneapolis may well be on par with progressiveness with Milwaukee. It is on par with Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco. (didn't the OP put Milwaukee in with the Progressive Meccas and not the Industrial Wastelands?)

Old 04-13-2009, 07:26 PM

205 posts, read 720,482 times
Group 1 (Well Educated)
Seattle
Boston
NYC
SF
Chicago

Group 2 (Idiots)
Houston
Dallas
Texas Suburbs
Georgia
Most of the south

Old 04-13-2009, 09:29 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonlee206 View Post
Group 1 (Well Educated)
Seattle
Boston
NYC
SF
Chicago

Group 2 (Idiots)
Houston
Dallas
Texas Suburbs
Georgia
Most of the south
Group one (important cities to the world)

NYC
LA
Chicago
Houston
SF/SJ
DC
Atlanta
Dallas

Group two (meth infested places which never contributed anything except drugs and overcaffeinated and stressed out folks)

Seattle
Seattle suburbs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City