Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 09:06 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times

Advertisements

I think that all ghettos are more or less the same. The same things go down in every ghetto in America. There are big Samoan thugs in the projects in SF that look exactly like those in the picture from Compton jman650 posted. The thing about bad areas in a city like SF is that they are extremely concentrated. One block or complex may be a complete bombed-out warzone with run-down projects with boarded up windows, gunfire every night, prepubescent crack dealers with big guns and crazy dopefiends everywhere, but a few feet away, you have people living in decent looking houses with nice families like Full House. This is the reason why we literally never walked down the block in my old neighborhood of Lakeview in SF.

However, the scariest worst cities I've visited, as a whole, are probably Baltimore, Chester, PA, Camden, NJ and Detroit. But as far as the worst city as a whole, I'm going to say Baltimore. I live about 20 minutes outside of Baltimore. There are just blocks and blocks of blight in that city. Social disorganization at every turn. A huge percentage of that city is a scary place to be.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:17 PM

58 posts, read 87,495 times
Ummm, I have lived and visited alot of places and I would have to say Baltimore was pretty depressing. I lived in DC, actually had a BF who worked for housing authority and while southeast is somewhat raunchy...its not that bad. As far as POVERTY, I would go for Appalachian mountain areas that cant even qualify as towns, just scattered third world living conditions between the mountain regions of 4 states, but oh wait.......................that doesn't count, i forgot!.....They're WHITE people and we all know white people can not be underprivledged! pfffhh....

Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 AM

58 posts, read 117,592 times
pittsburgh

Old 07-15-2011, 08:37 AM

59 posts, read 143,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
There's a lot to like about the city, but there are few neighborhoods I've seen anywhere that are as bombed-out as east Baltimore: baltimore, md - Google Maps
This looks exactly like the neighborhood I mentioned in my post. So terrifying.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 AM

94 posts, read 220,371 times
I was raised in New Orleans and I'd have to say it has some of the worst areas in the U.S., but nothing here compares to some parts of Baghdad, Iraq, or Tijuana, Mexico. I feel lucky to have escaped both of those cities alive. I'll admit I was surprised at how bad some parts of Baltimore looked, but I didn't see anything worse than I've seen in NOLA.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:26 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
NOLA bad areas look like bad areas. Lotta abandoned buildings, dilapidated boarded up structures, destroyed sidewalks, roads, garbage out front. Similar to Baltimore. It's present in parts of LA County, but is not the norm, even for gang areas.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
NOLA bad areas look like bad areas. Lotta abandoned buildings, dilapidated boarded up structures, destroyed sidewalks, roads, garbage out front. Similar to Baltimore. It's present in parts of LA County, but is not the norm, even for gang areas.
Yeah that's more or less how it is for CA as a whole. You can find all of those things in SF too for example, but aside from the absolute worst housing projects, and maybe a single block or house here and there, there's not much of it. Someone from CA knows when they're in a CA ghetto based on appearances, but someone who is used to the visual assault of a Baltimore-type level of decay can be easily fooled. In any case, it's the crime that truly makes a neighborhood bad, not boarded up windows, garbage, and weeds and stuff (though that definitely contributes greatly to the initial feeling of "this place is messed up").

Old 07-15-2011, 03:26 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECyde View Post
You wouldn't even catch the CIA or FBI walking around Compton or South Central.
hilarious. yeah, i'm sure THE fbi and THE cia are sooo scared of compton. ha

let's see, the fbi is constantly following, arresting, raiding gangs who are much more powerful than any high school dropout gang in compton. they mostly focus on REAL gangs with REAL money... like the russian mob, italian mafia, mexican mafia, jihadists, etc.

the cia, they're walking around afghanistan, iraq, somalia, etc in areas 5,000 times more dangerous than compton. raiding places much larger and much more hostile than a tract house full of corner boys.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:31 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
hilarious. yeah, i'm sure THE fbi and THE cia are sooo scared of compton. ha

let's see, the fbi is constantly following, arresting, raiding gangs who are much more powerful than any high school dropout gang in compton. they mostly focus on REAL gangs with REAL money... like the russian mob, italian mafia, mexican mafia, jihadists, etc.

the cia, they're walking around afghanistan, iraq, somalia, etc in areas 5,000 times more dangerous than compton. raiding places much larger and much more hostile than a tract house crack den.
Now we can tell you're not that bright.

First off, you know that the Mexican Mafia is a street gang that controls many sets of Surenos, some of whom are located in COMPTON, not the actual "Mafia" like the Italian Mafia or Russian Mafia.

Street gangs since the 1980's and early 1990's have been more powerful than any organized crime group in America.

The Gangster Disciples of Chicago and the Latin Kings rake in hundreds of millions a year thru their illegal activities. The mafia is estimated to rake in maybe half that.

You also may want to check numbers too. There's almost 100,000 Latin Kings in the US (30K in Chicago alone). Perhaps there are 5,000 members of Italian, Russian, and Armenian mobsters combined in the US.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Alot of these "street gangs" actually rake thousands to millions a year in drug sells, and are constantly being raided by agencies. Plenty of 3 month operation "so and so" to take down "so and so" supposedly tiny insignificant "street gang". What is a "street gang" nowadays when that gang is involved in narcotics trafficking and call out hits on people? These gangs are organized crime at this point. And why do people love to glamorize the Mafia and the old Outlaws of the West? I guess European based gangs have a certain glow in the eyes of America. They actually have a museum in NYC dedicated to Organized crime. I don't mind the glamorization, because they've spawned great movies, but be consistent. They criticize Hip-Hop for it's violence but have museums of mobsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City