Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:59 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times

Advertisements

Here's my guess, listed from most to least Mormon:

1. Salt Lake City (and all surrounding area, e.g. West Jordan, Provo, etc.), UT
2. Boise, ID
3. Phoenix (Mesa), AZ
4. St. George, UT
5. Placerville, CA
6. Seattle, WA
7. Las Vegas, NV
8. San Diego, CA
9. Los Angeles, CA
10. Albuquerque, NM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:25 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,181 times
^ I know that all of Utah and Phoenix should be high up on the list

Old 04-21-2009, 07:52 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Here's my guess, listed from most to least Mormon:

1. Salt Lake City (and all surrounding area, e.g. West Jordan, Provo, etc.), UT
2. Boise, ID
3. Phoenix (Mesa), AZ
4. St. George, UT
5. Placerville, CA
6. Seattle, WA
7. Las Vegas, NV
8. San Diego, CA
9. Los Angeles, CA
10. Albuquerque, NM
Not bad, but why is Placerville CA on the list? It doesn't even have a Mormon stake center. You should've replaced it with Sacramento.

In the Eastern US the cities with the most Mormons are Washington, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:10 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Not bad, but why is Placerville CA on the list? It doesn't even have a Mormon stake center. You should've replaced it with Sacramento.

In the Eastern US the cities with the most Mormons are Washington, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.
Placerville is on there only because I once went through there and ate at Jack-in-the-box or something there, and I was the only non-mormon there. I could just tell. Well, all the people wearing various BYU clothing, including BYU-Hawaii and BYU-Idaho stuff so I knew they were mormons, plus the manager had a "CTR" ring on, which is a Mormon thing (but I'm not sure what it means). So I had to put it on my list!

Also in the East, isn't Raleigh, NC very mormon?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 PM

484 posts, read 1,583,892 times
Quote:
Placerville is on there only because I once went through there and ate at Jack-in-the-box or something there, and I was the only non-mormon there. I could just tell. Well, all the people wearing various BYU clothing, including BYU-Hawaii and BYU-Idaho stuff so I knew they were mormons, plus the manager had a "CTR" ring on, which is a Mormon thing (but I'm not sure what it means). So I had to put it on my list!

I've lived out in Raleigh and I didn't think it was too Mormon. But, then again, I've also lived in Salt Lake City..so I've had that to compare it too. Wake Forest (a suburb of Raleigh) seemed to be very Mormon though.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:23 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:

There's only one Mormon congregation in Placerville so there must've been a group traveling through or something.

Raleigh does have a pretty high concentration of Mormons compared to other places its size in the eastern part of the country. Typically a city that has a high concentration of white collar jobs and/or has a large military presence will have a higher concentration of Mormons than more blue collar cities. Also, Southern cities have a higher concentration of Mormons than Northern cities.

So places like Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, and Charlotte have a higher concentration of Mormons than places like Birmingham, Louisville, or Memphis. And places like Atlanta and Washington DC have a higher concentration of Mormons than places like Philadelphia and Chicago.

Also, generally the closer a city is to Utah, the higher the concentration of Mormons, which makes sense. A notable exception is Honolulu which even though it's a few thousand miles from SLC has a huge Mormon population.

PS: CTR means "Choose The Right"

Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
These are statistics from 2000, but they're still somewhat relevant. I chose a few cities that were mentioned here.

Salt Lake County, Utah- 56%
Maricopa County, Arizona (Phoenix)- 5%
Wake County, North Carolina (Raleigh)- .6%
El Dorado County, California (Placerville)- 3%
Ada County, Idaho (Boise)- 15%
Fulton County, Georgia (Atlanta)- .3%

So really, there aren't many cities outside of Utah that are heavily Mormon. Phoenix is supposedly a highly Mormon city, but based on percentage it's about as Mormon as my city (Memphis) is Catholic, but I dont consider Memphis a Catholic city. That being said, Mormons can be found all over the country. I knew probably a dozen Mormons back in high school in my small town Tennessee

Last edited by Smtchll; 04-22-2009 at 01:40 AM..

Old 04-22-2009, 05:40 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Las Vegas? Is the Mormon religion now spreading into sin city?

I was in Idaho Falls, Id, and Twin Falls, Id. Those two towns are completely controlled by the mormons.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Las Vegas? Is the Mormon religion now spreading into sin city?
Las Vegas has one of the largest concentrations of LDS outside of Utah.

Anyway,
Id guess the Urban Areas with the Most Mormons in the US are
1 Salt Lake City
2 Los Angeles
3 Phoenix
4 SF Bay Area
5 Seattle
6 Las Vegas

After that Im not too sure. The West has a lot of Mormons.

In the world Id venture to guess
1 Salt Lake City
2 Mexico City
3 Sao Paulo
4 Santiago(Chile)
5 Los Angeles
6 Manila
7 Phoenix

Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Placerville? that's not even a city [but rather a small mountain town in the Sierra Nevada mts].

Outside Utah, my guess is that Las Vegas & Reno have sizable Mormon populations. Also Phoenix but to a lesser extent. Perhaps Albuquerque & Pueblo & Denver. Boise Idaho & Spokane Washington.

I know there are Mormon communities in California [Temecula] but I wouldn't include Los Angeles compared to other Christian denominations in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City