Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,252 times

Advertisements

Houston isn't clearly ahead of SF, Philly, and Boston. In fact not only are those cities older and more historical, but they are also much more vibrant, and all have larger metros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 PM

Hell those cities are prominent education centers as well...SF having Berkely and Stanford, Philly having Penn and one of the largest student populations in the US, and Boston...Harvard & MIT, enuff said

Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 PM

There you go, I went with very basic stuff like metro sizes, vibrancy, education...

Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Houston isn't clearly ahead of SF, Philly, and Boston. In fact not only are those cities older and more historical, but they are also much more vibrant, and all have larger metros
I've never noticed anyone here in Houston thinking they rank ahead of those cities. Is this something you have heard people saying while you were visiting Houston or is this something that is being portrayed to you in the media? Most people here complain about our city and think positively about most other cities. Especially those that you listed. Don't let the boosters on hear lead you to believe that Houstonians have an inflated view of our city. In reality we know our city is not great and that there are numerous cities out there better than us but none the less we do try to work with what we got. If you ever do decide to visit us here I can guarantee you that you won't find anyone that thinks our city is better than SF, Philly or Boston.

I could probably name 20 cities I would place ahead of Houston but I won't bother because I know there are a few posters on this forum that love to put Houston in it's place. I would hate to take that enjoyment away from them.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:12 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
I've always heard people rip on houston. I'm a former houstonian. You go there for jobs. Houston is enormous. the city itself is as big as the entire Philly metro area (landwise). Good, bad, indifferent I've never heard of Houston as overrated. It's the jersey of Texas (anyone form PA or NY knows what I mean). yet people move there, just like jersey (though that may be ending).

Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Why am I not surprised your in a thread about Houston. You are so fascinated with Houston. I just don't understand why. If you hate it so much why do you spend so much time everyday discussing Houston?

Am I the only one on here that notices how much Rachael comes on here to discuss Houston? It's like an obsession of yours. Are there other cities you are interested in talking about or does it always have to be Houston?

Who cares? people from the south come in the threads comparing NYC to other cities. So what's the big deal?

People from all over the country are chiming in in this thread. It's not like I'm in the Houston forum

By the way, it's "you're"--not "your"

Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Who cares? people from the south come in the threads comparing NYC to other cities. So what's the big deal?

People from all over the country are chiming in in this thread. It's not like I'm in the Houston forum

By the way, it's "you're"--not "your"
It's just an observation. If you really need to discuss Houston everyday don't let me stand in the way. I've just never noticed any other members take such an interest in Houston quite like you. The only other people that talk about Houston as much as you do are the Houston boosters. So go on and keep feeding those Houston threads. That's the last you will here from me regarding this.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
What is it with these people putting Houston at #4? Theres NYC, LA, Chi,....and Houston! Seriously wtf?

Because of Houston's population at 2.1 million ppl? City population dont mean much, its the metro population that counts. Houston's metro is not yet bigger than Dallas-Ft. Worth and Philly!

When it comes, to art, shopping, entertainment, culture, theatre...I see ppl claimin Houston as #4 and some even dare challenge Houston with CHICAGO! I don't even see why Houston is clearly better than my hometown of Phillly
You need to take that up with the census bureau.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:01 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
This again...I think there are things Houston positively does better than those cities. (It's really useless to post a list, because that is overdone on this site.) Jobs are only the tip of the iceberg. For some people, the negative characteristics are overcome by the positive characteristics--that's why. Yes, the city of Houston is larger in population (and geographic size) than those cities--no matter how you slice it, so I think jluke is right you need to take it up with the census bureau.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 04-25-2009 at 01:10 AM..

Old 04-25-2009, 01:05 AM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
LOL

Napoleon complex?

Puff out that chest houston and try to compete with Philly
Ummm, the OP's the one with the complex. Hence the need to create a thread decrying our RIGHTFULLY-EARNED spot at number 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City