Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 09:16 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Atlanta has low density numbers because while it has small city limits (131 right?) it can be very spread out and empty in parts unlike NO where the city is built very dense and compact.
Thank you, jluke!
Perfect example of when statistics lie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:19 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Miami is a southern city...it's culture is a variation of general southern culture, much like the cultures of southern Louisiana, the Outer Banks of North Carolina, the D.C. suburbs of Northern Virginia, and other specific areas that have become culturally different from what most consider "southern culture".

This list could go on and on, but some of the southern culture that is found in Miami:

1. a major NASCAR presence at the Homestead-Miami Motor Speedway
2. a huge college football following, along with a college football powerhouse team
3. over 200 Baptist Church congregations (baptist churches in Miami, FL on Yahoo! Local)
4. 151 barbecue restaurants (Miami Barbecue Restaurants | Urbanspoon)
5. 71 southern and soul food restaurants (Miami Southern & Soul Restaurants | Urbanspoon)
6. more than 23,000 people directly involved in agriculture in South Florida(Everglades Restoration: Agriculture Affected by South Florida Program?)
7. over 1,000 farms in Dade County alone in 1997:

Number of Farms
What do Farms have to do with anything? There are farms up north too.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Thank you, jluke!
Perfect example of when statistics lie!
That's the reason why Houston and Atlanta's density numbers are similar.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
That's the reason why Houston and Atlanta's density numbers are similar.
...and we know from using my "ride and see" approach how big of a lie that is.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The blacks do though. Whether or not they make up a signifigant chunk of the population doesn't matter, because you still have a sizeable group identifing themselves as southern.

I'm the exact opposite. We have suburban "sprawl" here, it's just not sprawled out. It just stops. When you ride in, (esp. from the west) the city just stands out in the middle of nowhere. Once you cross the line it's like a sudden wall of civilization. I hate the typical southern sprawl though. The NOLA suburbs are denser then the city proper of Atlanta and probably Houston.
But what about the people that DON'T? Do they not matter? And a good chunk of the blacks in Miami are Caribbean, and some don't consider themselves southern. And I guess I'm just used to the sprawly cities.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But what about the people that DON'T? Do they not matter? And a good chunk of the blacks in Miami are Caribbean, and some don't consider themselves southern.
I don't know. There aren't many cities in the U.S. where a large group identifies with one region and the rest of the pop. doesn't.

There might not be as many but there are some whites, caribbean blacks and latinos in Miami that do identify themselves as southern.

I don't know what to do with those who don't, but you can't deny that southern culture is in Miami.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:37 AM

45 posts, read 171,610 times
As a resident of Miami I can tell you that yes indeed, Miami is a Southern city. No it is not entirely Southern. Miami is extremely diverse culturally.
Three major cultures are present in Miami:

Hispanic culture: present throughout the county but concentrated in the central parts of Dade such as Little Havana, Westchester, Hialeah, Sweetwater etc..

Southern Culture: this culture has a strong precense throughout the Southern part of Miami Dade county. the further South you go in Miami, the more southern it feels. Areas like Cutler Bay, Palmetto Bay, South Miami, Pinecrest and homestead feel VERY SOUTHERN.

Northeastern: Lots of transplants from New York and New Jersey (mostly Italian and Jewish). they are spread out throughout North Miami, Miami Beach, Aventura, Miami Shores, EL Portal, Biscayne Park etc....

When examining the Southern precense in Miami we should not only focus on Miami Dade COunty but rather the Greater Miami Metropolitan Area which consists of Dade County, Broward COunty, Palm Beach COunty and the northern section of Monroe County.

In doing so, Miami becomes even more southern. Monroe County (bordering Homestead) is about as Southern as Alabama and Palm Beach and Broward (though has a mostly Northeastern feel to it) has lots of Southern culture as well with the Rodeo in Davie and other "Southern" activites that take place as well.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
^Thanks for that rather detailed assessment. Quite interesting as it seems as though everyone thinks that Latin culture permeates every part of metro Miami.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Talking you've come a long way "Baby!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Entirely too much. This is uptown in 1975:

This is how it looked in the 1920's:

is this '75 a photo of the cb district? it is really impressive how things have changed. i wish we could see street level. the highrises at that time i'm sure remain as perimeter buildings today. it certainly has no flavor of the 70's any longer. thanks for the views.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Atlanta has low density numbers because while it has small city limits (131 right?) it can be very spread out and empty in parts unlike NO where the city is built very dense and compact.
Thank you for proving my point...Atlanta's density is certainly not uniform throughout the city. There are areas of high density and areas of low denisty - just like in New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City