Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SF vs Chic
San Francisco 161 40.97%
Chicago 232 59.03%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
So does NYC metro. It does not explain though why both NYC metro and NYC grow while Chicago shrinks.
Most big cities in the Rust Belt and Northeast have shrank in the last several decades. People used to have way more kids than they do now. Following WWII, it was not uncommon for a family to have 10 children and live in a 3 bedroom house or apartment. Nowadays, people have far fewer children and require more living space, so while cities have technically lost residents, they haven't become vacant wastelands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Most big cities in the Rust Belt and Northeast have shrank in the last several decades. People used to have way more kids than they do now. Following WWII, it was not uncommon for a family to have 10 children and live in a 3 bedroom house or apartment. Nowadays, people have far fewer children and require more living space, so while cities have technically lost residents, they haven't become vacant wastelands.
NYC is obviously the exception to this rule though, NYC is at its peak population ever.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:02 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
not a good argument.
Chicago has shed almost 1m since 1960, NYC has added over 1m.
Thanks. You'd have to read what Dementor actually wrote in order to see why I wrote that. His big thing was "it's okay when people move away from New York, but nobody ever moves away from Chicago."

One trip to Phoenix, AZ would straighten out that myth, though.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:17 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,931 times
Here is Chicago's newest "Times Square" area. The theater district used to be very similar to TS in NYC, but of course now it is drastically changed (as is the rest of the Loop since the 1960s).

Anyway, here are the pictures of State near Lake St.

I'm curious: what areas does San Fran have that compare to this, or the Mag Mile, or the River North tourist district, or Navy Pier? Is there a busy, "beating heart" of the city?

Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanboy View Post
Why do these funny Chicagoans pride Chicago being "urban" unlike "sprawled LA" and "endless sprawl Houston" but then told the city Chicago's population is shrinking (it is, and dramatically) they get all defensive and demand that we account for their metro (i.e SPRAWL) growth? I find that so funny!!

For a city to experience population declines ( especially of Chicago's rate) is dangerous. Chicago is one of the only two large cities to experience decline in the census.
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and suppose you might actually be interested in reasoned dialog rather than strictly being a flame artist. With that in mind, I have one comment and one question.

Comment: Chicago's population increased in the last census.

Question: what is your criterion for a "large city?"

Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
I'm curious: what areas does San Fran have that compare to this, or the Mag Mile, or the River North tourist district, or Navy Pier? Is there a busy, "beating heart" of the city?
Yeah San Francisco has a "beating heart." I would say it's the downtown area, which i would define as Union Square, Nob Hill, parts of South of Market, the Financial District, the Tenderloin, Chinatown, parts of North Beach, and Civic Center. This area is SF's busiest and most densely populated.

Our "theater district" is in the Tenderloin. Our equivalent to the Magnificent Mile would be the area around Union Square, home to tons of upscale shopping and hotels, entertainment, etc.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:38 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
[quote=chitown2pa;8803374]Here is Chicago's newest "Times Square" area. The theater district used to be very similar to TS in NYC, but of course now it is drastically changed (as is the rest of the Loop since the 1960s).

Anyway, here are the pictures of State near Lake St.
quote]

i wouldnt really call State/Lake the theatre district, the theatre are mostly on Randolph

Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
I'm curious: what areas does San Fran have that compare to this...is there a busy, "beating heart" of the city?
No, not at all.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
A few years ago I stayed at a hotel that fronted Union Square. Its a lovely, vibrant area. It is an oddity that the Tenderloin is literally right around the corner.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 AM

85 posts, read 167,004 times
^^nice pic. San Francisco is more appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City