Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:36 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times

Advertisements

Louisville KY is the next Louisville KY. Why would it want to be Portland? It has it's own flavor and identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 04:44 PM

66 posts, read 39,428 times
I was in Louisville about a year ago. I liked the relatively urban, older neighborhoods. We went out on the main strip (forget what it was called) to check out the nightlife one night. And while it was pretty happening, my friend commented that it seems like a fight town. Like a lot of people get drunk and go out looking for fights. I think I could see what he meant. I did get the sense that there were plenty of opportunities to easily get into a fight if I looked at someone for a second longer.

And in fact I do remember a fight breaking out on the strip somewhere at some point. Perhaps it's a southern thing, or college town thing, or both. Or perhaps we were just drunk and it's all in my mind. Those things do happen everywhere, so it's hard to tell. Anyone else have this experience?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:44 PM

616 posts, read 645,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Louisville KY is the next Louisville KY. Why would it want to be Portland? It has it's own flavor and identity.
exactly

Old 07-31-2015, 08:24 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellow26 View Post
And while it was pretty happening, my friend commented that it seems like a fight town.
It's a southern thing. Has to do with the concept of physically defending someone's honor. Although when people drink this is more likely to happen just about anywhere.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
It's a southern thing. Has to do with the concept of physically defending someone's honor. Although when people drink this is more likely to happen just about anywhere.
Lots of bourbon in Kentucky...

Old 07-31-2015, 03:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Agreed, There is no reason to want one city to be like another. IMHO, Portland is not the best choice for any other city to aspire to be like since it has become very overpriced and overcrowded.

I have never visited Louisville but hope to someday. I have heard good things about it. It's what a city has developed as it's own that makes it unique. Once it tries to be other things, it's no longer interesting or worth copying.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Agreed, There is no reason to want one city to be like another. IMHO, Portland is not the best choice for any other city to aspire to be like since it has become very overpriced and overcrowded.

I have never visited Louisville but hope to someday. I have heard good things about it. It's what a city has developed as it's own that makes it unique. Once it tries to be other things, it's no longer interesting or worth copying.
Louisville is definitely worth a visit...I love it there. Great historic architecture, beautiful parks, and a good bit of urban/walkable areas.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:23 PM

12,843 posts, read 9,573,647 times
San Fran? Portland? Austin? Wow.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:58 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Louisville is definitely worth a visit...I love it there. Great historic architecture, beautiful parks, and a good bit of urban/walkable areas.
Very good food, too.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 AM

19 posts, read 27,069 times
I've only lived here for a few months, but as a former resident of East Coast hipster nabes Bushwick, Brooklyn and Allston, MA, I think I can safely draw a few comparisons.

Due to its admirable balance of QoL and CoL, Louisville seems to lack the transient nature of a Portland, Brooklyn, or Austin. People complain that Louisville is insular, but that isn't a bad thing when the reason behind it is livability. The four seasons, affordable housing, proximity to larger cities, moderate size, and pastoral scenery make Louisville a very hard place to feel uncomfortable. Because of this, the revolving door of twenty-somethings that is so apparent in the aforementioned cities feels much less apparent here. Louisville is where hipsters go to settle down and start a family. In a good way.

Moving up here, I was sure that Louisville was situated in the Midwest. Coming back from a trip to Michigan, I was equally convinced that Louisville is situated in the South. People argue Louisville's identity endlessly, but it's one of the best things about this place. This is an old river town that has been privy to every new idea floating down the Ohio, and sits at a cultural crossroads smack dab in the middle of 80% of our country's population. In the way that New York City is the world's melting pot, Louisville could argue a case as America's melting pot. There is an agreed upon culture of acceptance (of ALL people, not just other liberals) here that makes Louisville special, and that is an extremely enticing notion to your average hipster.

Despite being a crossroads city, Louisville manages an impressive array of local culture. There are the obvious ones: Derby, and bourbon. But we can also claim quite a few cultural icons and plenty of delicious site-specific foodstuffs as our own. Authenticity is another thing important to hipster culture, and Louisville has authenticity in droves.

I don't know, man. I really like it here. Coming into autumn, I'm excited to take my kids on hayrides through the bluegrass, to a pumpkin patch to pick out a perfect pumpkin, and to a cider mill for cider and donuts. I can do all that, and still make it to a kick ass show where I can sip on world-renowned bourbon distilled right down the street, or take my wife to some of the best restaurants in the country. Win-win.

The only thing I've been able to complain about so far is the lack of a neighborhood with dense urban fabric, like Over-the-Rhine in Cincy. Louisville is very Southern in that aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City