Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver or Houston
Houston 107 39.93%
Denver 161 60.07%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,686 times

Advertisements

Actually, I think Denver is very different from Seattle. Denver is about as similar to Houston as it is to Seattle, and I don't think Denver is similiar to either at all.

Seattle is a big, water-logged, latte-sipping, tech-savvy hipster paradise. None of that is really true of Denver. The only real similiarity is each city's outdoorsy culture. But otherwise--culturally, politically, etc.--they're not at all similiar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:44 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwavies View Post
We'll agree to disagree. I'm young, outgoing, active, live within the inner loop, and I go out often. I have yet to feel the vibrancy that a city of this magnitude should possess. It has a fantastic skyline but lacks the urban core that similar size cities have. As you stated, different strokes for different folks. When in a city, I like to feel as though I'm in a city, not a large sprawling suburb.
No that's the thing. Houston isn't urban or vibrant and that's not my contention. I'm simply saying that I'd wager Houston certainly has more to do. Austin has a more vibrant downtown than Houston but that doesn't mean that Austin has more to do than Houston. I'm sure you're young and energetic, etc but it will probably take you some time to discover everything that Houston has. It's a sprawling city so things aren't as apparent as they seem. But there is so much to do there despite the fact it being so sprawling. You just have to find it.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
I've lived in Houston for a year and previously lived in Colorado for 12yrs. Although Houston is a much larger city, I feel it lacks an urban, city type feel. Its extremely spread out and in no part of the city do I ever feel a "pulse." Everyone drives here and it seems as though no one lives downtown...just in the huge suburbs that surround the city. I feel Denver is a far more vibrant/fun city and below are a few comparisons from my perspective.
I think you need to just be here in Houston a little longer. You're probably homesick from Denver and just haven't yet really adjusted to the order (or lack there of) here in Houston.

I personally think Denver's infrastructure such as transportation and urban development is literally kicking Houston's a$$ right now. You can tell that Denver is really modeling themselves after places like NYC and such, but don't declare Denver as more vibrant just yet. Downtown Denver is not always hopping after 5pm. 16th street mall does die down after 5pm on a regular night. True, it's downtown is decades ahead of Houston, but that doesn't make it more vibrant as an entire city.

Houston has many areas spread around the city with their own little thing happening, it almost feels like you're in several cities. If you want a pulse, i can think of a couple of areas that you left off: Montrose, West Avenue/Upper Kirby. You mentioned Midtown and Washington Ave, and Rice Village so i'll give you that.

Yes true, the current light rail line here is a joke, and should've been expanded years ago. But you have our former political leaders: Tom Delay and Culberson to thank for that. They went out of their way to purposely block funds for rail coming to Houston so they could keep their own pockets full. That's not Houston's fault. And you talk about downtown Denver having an amusement park in its downtown? I remember when it didn't. Elitch Gardens opened up around 1998 in downtown. Not really all that long ago in the broad spectrum of things. Houston had an amusement park just south of reliant that closed just a little more than 6 years ago.

But enough about the past, Houston is making alot of strides. You totally didn't acknowledge the expansioons of the light rail, the new Dynamo stadium, and the new developments and promenades that will follow. A whole new world on the east part of downtown Houston just opened in 4 short years: A new park w/ 2 restaurants, lake, hotel, Apartment tower w/ an urban grocery store, and nearby H/Pavilions with HOB, Lucky Strike, and a few night restaurants. Still doesn't compare with downtown Denver yes i know, but do not try to tell people on here that the only place in downtown Houston is Bayou Place.

My job is not to convince you to like Houston, but don't be totally oblivious and try to say that Houston lacks vibrancy just because it doesn't have quite the downtown that Denver has. Infrastructure and development wise, I like Denver better myself. But when you get in the crowd of people, you quickly see it's dominated by caucasions. Just driving through Denver, you can kind of even sense that by the way everything is so "orderly". Houston is just the opposite. Not saying that 's really a good thing, but Houston's slight chaotic feeling gives it that funkiness which illustrates there's more different types of people from all over here in Houston.

I think being you're age, you want everything that appeals to mid 20s in one package. True Houston needs to market its areas better, but one year isn't really all that long to really get to know this town.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 02-16-2012, 06:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Denver is dominating this, as it should. Denver has:

- far better scenery
- mountains
- no humidity
- healthier people
- better beer
- access to national parks
- Red Rocks
- nicer airport
So what? Denver has more of those than NYC, Chicago and LA.

SO Denver is better than those too???

Old 02-16-2012, 06:39 PM

38 posts, read 76,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
...And you talk about downtown Denver having an amusement park in its downtown? I remember when it didn't. Elitch Gardens opened up around 1998 in downtown. Not really all that long ago in the broad spectrum of things...
Elitch Gardens opened in 1890 on 38th Ave. Relocated to it's current spot behind the Pepsi Center in 1994. I'd consider it a historic contribution to Denver and apart of it's culture. Elitch Gardens was purchased by Six Flags in 1999 so maybe that's where you might have gotten the date 1998 from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
...and nearby H/Pavilions with HOB...
I've been here twice. Once for a concert at the House of Blues around 6pm-ish on a weekday and a second time to meet a friend around noon on a Saturday. I saw about 25 people strolling the pavilions on both days combined. Maybe I didn't come at the right times but from what I saw, I wouldn't consider the Houston Pavilions a sign of life downtown. In comparison, the Denver Pavilions with its proximity to the 16th St. Mall is flooded with pedestrian traffic at most times of the day, whether shopping or passing through.

I love very dense/urban environments and having never been to Houston previously, I was hoping for a much larger urban landscape than Denver. In Houston, that's just not the case. When out and about in this city, although extremely larger than Denver in area, I feel as though I'm in a monstrous suburb that lacks the Denver "inner city feel." Just by the population #'s alone, I thought I was coming into a city like DC or San Fran...I was sadly mistaken. Not saying Denver is better than Houston, just that I prefer Denver over Houston. With the time I have remaining here, I'll keep an open mind and try and assimilate to the lack of order and the never ending sprawl/traffic.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:16 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times
Quote:
Elitch Gardens opened in 1890 on 38th Ave. Relocated to it's current spot behind the Pepsi Center in 1994. I'd consider it a historic contribution to Denver and apart of it's culture. Elitch Gardens was purchased by Six Flags in 1999 so maybe that's where you might have gotten the date 1998 from?

I've been here twice. Once for a concert at the House of Blues around 6pm-ish on a weekday and a second time to meet a friend around noon on a Saturday. I saw about 25 people strolling the pavilions on both days combined. Maybe I didn't come at the right times but from what I saw, I wouldn't consider the Houston Pavilions a sign of life downtown. In comparison, the Denver Pavilions with its proximity to the 16th St. Mall is flooded with pedestrian traffic at most times of the day, whether shopping or passing through.

I love very dense/urban environments and having never been to Houston previously, I was hoping for a much larger urban landscape than Denver. In Houston, that's just not the case. When out and about in this city, although extremely larger than Denver in area, I feel as though I'm in a monstrous suburb that lacks the Denver "inner city feel." Just by the population #'s alone, I thought I was coming into a city like DC or San Fran...I was sadly mistaken. Not saying Denver is better than Houston, just that I prefer Denver over Houston. With the time I have remaining here, I'll keep an open mind and try and assimilate to the lack of order and the never ending sprawl/traffic.
well you certainly are entitled to have your preferences no matter what. just keep an open mind and try to get out of the urban mindset and houston will grow on you. just give it time. its a great city with so many diverse communities. enjoy it and dont let negative comments of houston get in your way of enjoying that monstrosity of a suburb on steroids.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
So what? Denver has more of those than NYC, Chicago and LA.

SO Denver is better than those too???
Yes, most definitely.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Ok. i got the date wrong. 1998 was actually when i first made it up there after it opened, but it didn't actually open until 95.

Denver began its downtown revitalization in its peak around the early to mid 90s. Light rail was actually implemented on the streets around this time. My sister moved up there in 1994, and that's around the time i first rode the light rail train, and they were saying it was the "new thing in the streets".

I agree with you that Denver is doing things better in an urban sense, but saying Houston is a monstrous suburb in comparison is kind of a stretch.

Yes, Houston Pavilions is dead right now. That's mainly because it opened right in the middle of our recent depression. I wasn't necessarily saying that Houston Pavilions is a sign of life downtown, but its something that wasn't there just 4 short years ago. Denver's has been established longer and yes i know has much pedestrian traffic during the day, but after 5 or 6pm, it dies down on a regular day. This, i know this as fact. Now on the weekends, its a different story. But then again, even Houston's downtown gives that illusion on the weekends too.

If you want to be technical, since we're using Denver's daytime activity in its downtown, you can actually say Houston's streets is flooded with pedestrians during the weekdays. Go under the streets and you'll see a whole new place of underground shops, restaurants, and etc which is the tunnels. Now there's no denying that on Weekends, downtown Denver is still going on while Houston's is dead (unless there's an event at Discovery Green or the Convention center), but there's activity to be found just over off Montrose or even Rice Village.

You may actually like Dallas. Dallas to me is slower, but it's leading in the urban development field. It's kind of looks like a Denver without mountains, but that's just "looks", not feel. It doesn't have any areas like 16th street mall either.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 02-17-2012, 01:38 AM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Houston is hot, humid, and flat, I've lived there and it's not my kind of place.
I have family in Denver and I would choose it over Houston anyday. I love the mountains!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yes, most definitely.
oh good, now that I have confirmation that this thread is filled with loonies I can exist knowing it is useless talking to people whose minds are in la la land
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City