Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times

Advertisements

Even though I am from St. Louis, Chicago's long-time Midwestern arch-rival in many respects, I still hold the city in real high regards. I think some people from Chicago hold their heads too high, look down on other cities that can't measure up to them (and in my opinion, most can't)..and I think some are not great judges of culture because of how unique Chicago is in many respects...but my point I guess in all of this is that a lot of Chicagoans I think are justified to these feelings and right about them. My personal belief is that St. Louis as an arch-rival to Chicago is a big joke. I respect my city a great deal, but am smart enough to draw the line when comparing it to a city almost as big in population as the entire St. Louis metro area within its city limits alone. I wish we didn't have the arch as a limit to how tall buildings could be, because Chicago's buildings were tall beyond my comprehension the first time I was there. So much to do within the entire city itself...loved the fast pace compared to STL's more medium pace, loved Lake Michigan. I would never get tired of living there. I drove there once from both Cleveland and St. Louis, and going back to both cities afterwards was equally depressing. Not putting either one down, just saying that no city in the Midwest will ever come even close to Chicago. Not Detroit, not Cleveland not Minneapolis/St. Paul, not Kansas City, not St. Louis, not Cincinnati. To add to that, few cities in the entire country can even claim to be half of what Chicago is. New York in my opinion is Chicago's only superior. Los Angeles might be a close runner up. Other smaller very large cities that I think have as much to offer as Chicago or at least might be as appealing to me are Dallas, Houston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, and Boston. But NYC and LA are really I think Chicago's only true rivals.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
4ever, sushi is a staple. It is as ubiquitous as pizza, at least here. You can get it in grocery stores and strip malls, so there's no "city image" attached. If this is different in Chicago, then so be it. However, that's a world to which I cannot relate.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 AM

177 posts, read 479,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Maybe its trendy where you live, but in the Bay Area, sushi is very popular, is certainly not considered a fad, and you can get it all over. Not just trendy restaurants with minimalist decor and maitre'd's wearing all black with german accents. LOL

Lots of mom-n-pop places and neighborhood restaurants have sushi. You should check some of them out the next time your in town.
Sushi restaurants are all over the place in every major US city everywhere and they are not that special. However, it is still a relatively new phenomenon in some places like here (last 10-15 years or so), and they are somewhat more expensive then other mom-and-pops places here. Also because they are so predominantly located in the 'trendy hoods' in Chicago, may be why they are associated with a trend here as well. They are all over Lincoln Park, in Lakeview, in Wicker Park, Bucktown, etc, all somewhat trendy areas. They are not all over the south side or west side though, its not the thing there.

You can get it in a grocery store, you can get it anywhere as well (lower quality), but real sushi joints are more expensive. Not to mention the fact that because sushi is also expensive, costing close to 15-20 to get full, most think it is for yuppies etc. And I tend to agree in this regard. Not sure how it is percieved in SF though, but here in Chi, the average Joe wont eat out at a sushi joint like they would at a hamburger/hot dog/gyros joint, that would simply be less cost effective.

If you can get full off sushi in SF for 10 or less (rolls here rangefrom 5-10 already) then maybe it is a common place where the general populace eats. But here it aint like Thai or Chinese, or even Vietnamese food, which is definitely much cheaper. I would say its one step above in terms of cost, and thats enough for some folks to associate it with yuppies etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboto
If you can get full off sushi in SF for 10 or less (rolls here rangefrom 5-10 already) then maybe it is a common place where the general populace eats. But here it aint like Thai or Chinese, or even Vietnamese food, which is definitely much cheaper. I would say its one step above in terms of cost, and thats enough for some folks to associate it with yuppies etc.
Oh, now I understand where your coming from.

Yes, Sushi definitely cost more than Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Chic looks boring and grey in those pics...dont do that again.

Like I said, Chic is a cute town...but the hokey-ness...inferior complex needs to stop
The only one who seems to have an inferiority complex is you and I'm not quite sure why. Almost every single post you've ever made on this website is spewing hatred towards some other city. Earlier in the thread you showed a girl crying at a Cubs game (they care about sports in Chicago) and then some model chick who's probably never been to a Dodgers game. That screams inferiority complex.

You live in an amazing city, you don't have to put down other great place in a lame attempt to make yourself feel better.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The only one who seems to have an inferiority complex is you and I'm not quite sure why. Almost every single post you've ever made on this website is spewing hatred towards some other city. Earlier in the thread you showed a girl crying at a Cubs game (they care about sports in Chicago) and then some model chick who's probably never been to a Dodgers game. That screams inferiority complex.

You live in an amazing city, you don't have to put down other great place in a lame attempt to make yourself feel better.
Seriously. Would rep you if I could. Gotta spread it though.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,878,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Im saying this as a response to certain members on this site, new and old, who have chosen to take much time out of their day and bash the city of Chicago. You know who you are (kid).

I have a good amount of family and friends in Chicago and visit occasionally. I even lived there for a few months some years back, between several suburbs and neighborhoods in the city itself. Obviously its not a perfect city, no city is perfect, and I do put NYC ahead of Chicago. Still Chicago has a TON of great neighborhoods and suburbs, great architecture, great restaurants/food, its big enough to satisfy just about everyones needs (except for weather), while many other Midwest/Rustbelt cities became deserted, Chicago stayed strong although it has lost a lot of population the suburbs/metro have more then made up for that loss.

Im speaking as an unbiased person, I have nothing against Chicago and Im from Cleveland so I have no bias for Chicago. So you high school kids from suburbs in the NYC area like White Plains who have never been to Chicago need to leave this place alone and stop making up lies about it, you never stop with this and you need to be banned from this site. Maybe there are a lot of Chicago homers on this site, but that doesnt give you the right to bash it so much and make up stuff about the city.

Discuss,
Chicago is a great city.

That being said, if it's Chicago-specific (which this is), then it belongs in the Chicago room and not city vs city because you're not specifically comparing it with other cities (which frankly, has already been overdone).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-posting.html

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City