Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer
Denver Colorado 127 57.47%
Dallas Texas 94 42.53%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 04:17 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
You're talking to someone who's lived in so cal. And like I said Denver is cheaper but not by much. Someone just wouldn't get up and move to Denver because it's cheaper. Unless you're living in Beverly Hills or the really wealthy west side, then it's pretty comparable.
It doesn't matter where you've lived. It doesn't make you an expert on prices, especially if it's been a while since you've lived there. Can you give any actual data to support my claims? The link I supplied and all the other sources I've mentioned have shown Denver to be cheaper than LA, being much closer to DFW in price than LA. No one is going to move to DFW, or anywhere, just because it is cheaper, especially since it apparently is not much cheaper than Denver, based on the premise that Denver is not much cheaper than LA, despite that gap being bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
The reason Denver is growing is because it's cheaper than the CA major metros. Most of the influx to Denver has been from CA people trying to get away from the high cost of living. If they were the same price, then there would be no reason to move to Denver since LA and SF do almost everything better than Denver and then some.
But then why is Texas one of the states with the most migration to Colorado? They're clearly not trying to move to somewhere less expensive. The only major US city with more people going out than coming to Denver is Seattle.

Last edited by Mezter; 06-16-2017 at 04:49 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 04:48 PM

122 posts, read 129,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
It doesn't matter where you've lived. It doesn't make you an expert on prices, especially if it's been a while since you've lived there. Can you give any actual data to support my claims? The link I supplied and all the other sources I've mentioned have shown Denver to be cheaper than LA, being much closer to DFW in price than LA. No one is going to move to DFW, or anywhere, just because it is cheaper, especially since it apparently is not much cheaper than Denver, based on the premise that Denver is not much cheaper than LA, despite that gap being bigger.
I'm going based on actual experience. Many other people would experience the same but my main point is that Denver is not booming because of cheap living.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:44 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Quote:
I'm going based on actual experience. Many other people would experience the same but my main point is that Denver is not booming because of cheap living.
It certainly helps. Denver is practically the same cost as DFW, which you call cheap, in the same way, or moreso, that Denver is nearly as expensive as the coastal California metros.

Anecdotes don't act as evidence especially when actual data is available.

Also, Mezter, regarding the last part, I think it's pretty obvious here that everyone, except maybe besides DTXman, is talking about metros, not cities.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:46 PM

122 posts, read 129,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
It certainly helps. Denver is practically the same cost as DFW, which you call cheap, in the same way, or moreso, that Denver is nearly as expensive as the coastal California metros.

Anecdotes don't act as evidence especially when actual data is available.

Also, Mezter, regarding the last part, I think it's pretty obvious here that everyone, except maybe besides DTXman, is talking about metros, not cities.
Would have to disagree. But thats besides the point I'm trying to make.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:57 PM

11 posts, read 12,414 times
Quote:
I would have to disagree. Denver isn't as flat as you suggest it to be. There are many parts in the city in Metro that are hilly. Denver is only brown in the winter. In the summer, there is plenty of greenery and trees. I don't know where you get that from. The metro area has trees everywhere.

Also in response that Denver doesn't have a neighborhood like Deep Ellem. It's is pretty much the equivelant to Rino in Denver except Rino is newer and has a lot of potential to grow and improve in a few years.
I know this is from months ago, but I just visited Denver from Boston, with a friend from Dallas.
When I landed at the airport, I messaged my mother saying "I feel like I am in Dallas, but it's 10x uglier. Flat, 0 trees, and BROWN. It was 90 degrees and September. SO that is a lie. Denver is brown year round.
There are almost 0 trees in the metro until you approach the Rockies. Denver was scenically underwhelming, until you reached the incredibly stunning Rockies. The Denver metro looked just like Wyoming. The border of the two states near Cheyenne on 75 is how Denver looks.

I will say that downtown Denver is AMAZING. Lively, gorgeous, and methodically developed. The suburbs are awkward and boring.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston144 View Post
I know this is from months ago, but I just visited Denver from Boston, with a friend from Dallas.
When I landed at the airport, I messaged my mother saying "I feel like I am in Dallas, but it's 10x uglier. Flat, 0 trees, and BROWN. It was 90 degrees and September. SO that is a lie. Denver is brown year round.
There are almost 0 trees in the metro until you approach the Rockies. Denver was scenically underwhelming, until you reached the incredibly stunning Rockies. The Denver metro looked just like Wyoming. The border of the two states near Cheyenne on 75 is how Denver looks.

I will say that downtown Denver is AMAZING. Lively, gorgeous, and methodically developed. The suburbs are awkward and boring.
Ugh, I hate how the airport is in the worst part of the city. Not a very good first impression and everyone seems to base the whole city off of that. Dallas is definitely a prettier city and has more trees. However, no Denver is not Brown year round. You came in Summer when it was very hot and dry (Aka why the city was brown). The Spring, beginning of Summer, and beginning of fall look a lot more green, although still not lush due to the dry climate.

You’re from Boston so I can see why it would be a shock, but in the West most cities are treeless. There are only a few areas with natural trees, but the city has actually done a decent job of landscaping (At least in the city limits).
https://www.google.com/maps/place/59...6552005e6917f8
https://www.google.com/maps/place/56...f8491f53557ab2
https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...a4c9d0f8ae3cee

Last edited by Mezter; 11-05-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 11-05-2017, 05:59 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston144 View Post

This was my exact same impression coming from Dallas. My thought was "People give Dallas **** for being ugly and people seriously give Denver props?" lol

Having the mountains as a backdrop helps Denver a lot, but that area is just ugly and yes, the burbs seem awkard. The weather is also a lot more all over the place than in Dallas and the culture seems to be a lot more insular in Denver rather than the friendly, vibrant, outgoing, fun spirited vibe you found throughout Texas. With that said, Denver is a nice city.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:26 PM

570 posts, read 559,795 times
Colorado = Weed and Mountains without the California prices.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:59 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Denver has gotten way too expensive. Home ownership is important to me. Dallas has a heck of a lot to offer. For me, I would pick Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City