Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:47 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,664 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
Interesting topic: What major, but not really global, city would have the biggest impact if it went downhill? By downhill I mean that businesses collapsed, it became really dangerous, etc. as in what happened to detroit and is currently happening to some of the other rust-belt cities.
What I consider Global cities are:
New York
DC
LA
Chicago

Oh and if you can please explain the impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:58 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
I would say Denver but then again its more a global city as well. My reason for picking Denver is kind of clear. Its the largest city and one of the most important cities in the Rocky Mountain Region and its influence impacts much of the country.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:06 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
As for the biggest ones: I would say its a tied between San Francisco (Bay Area if we are including metro) and Houston. If the former, have fun figuring out how to live modern life without any of the technological innovations (aside from the obvious ones coming out from Silicon Valley, but also things like biotechnology, green energies, etc.) coming out of there. People really do underestimate this stuff, which is ironic, considering that we are using the INTERNET to type on this forum.

Houston: Well, look what happened to gas prices after Katrina hit New Orleans. If you want to see what life would be like with $10/gallon gas, then try having Houston collapse.

I know people are going to say "Well, you can MOVE all those stuff to another city, yadda yadda", well you can say the same for about anything else. However, with the way things are set up on the ground RIGHT NOW, it would cost a lot of money to do so and would be extremely disruptive to the logistical network of this country.

Really though, if anything were to happen to ANY city in this country, we'd all feel the hit. Again, I'll reference Katrina with New Orleans: not exactly a top 10 city by most people on CD, but yet, it affected the nation as a whole.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
San Francisco. It seems like a financial powerhouse behind NYC, Chicago, and L.A.

That whole San Francisco region seems very important to the country.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:12 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
San Francisco, easily.

If SF were to go downhill economically, it would mean that America is losing one of its most important industries--IT innovation.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:06 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
San Francisco is definitely a global city.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:12 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
well I consider SF and Houston global cities due to their niche industries being the global leaders in both.

So outside of that... I think you just saw it over the last few decade, Detroit, doh... we lost the world auto industry, game over.

So now that Detroit is flailing...next up.

I'd have to go with Seattle ...

Boeing operations(largest aerospace), Amazon (largest ecommerce) and Microsoft (90% of global PC market). You also have the coffee club up there... Costco and Nordstroms

Old 06-04-2011, 07:03 PM

260 posts, read 757,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I would say Denver but then again its more a global city as well. My reason for picking Denver is kind of clear. Its the largest city and one of the most important cities in the Rocky Mountain Region and its influence impacts much of the country.

Ahhh delusions of grandeur.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
San Francisco is global, hands down.

Houston, but it's possibly global depending on the person. New Orleans, another hurricane could easily damage the rigs in the gulf, driving prices up, port could be damaged, and it's very important to the economy.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:56 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Houston being the energy capital is certainly a vital link in the overall health of our economy. Sunbelt real estate and foreclosures in Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Florida has certianly had a big impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City