Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city or cities most closely resembles the urban feel of NYC?
Boston 24 16.22%
Chicago 78 52.70%
Philadelphia 48 32.43%
San Francisco 53 35.81%
LA 9 6.08%
DC 10 6.76%
Other 12 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 07:02 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times

Advertisements

Chicago for the skyline and downtown. Philly for everything outside of downtown, although downtown Philly (CC) is like Manhattan too, just less tall buildings than Chicago. Philly has suspension bridges. Chicago does not. Philly is filled with rowhomes. Chicago is not.

Chicago over Philly for actually being a world known destination, something Philly really isn't yet to that extent.

Boston and San Francisco are more like eachother imo than either is like New York. Both are a bit like New York. There are similarities. I'd have to go with Boston. It's becoming the World known destination San Francisco is and it's in the same region as New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 07:55 AM

1,013 posts, read 912,633 times
To me no city really hits it 100%, none have the size nor density but I think Philly is closest then Boston for “urban feel”.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:38 AM

330 posts, read 294,187 times
None. No city is even close to what NYC can offer on an urban scale.

NYC is by far the greatest urban city in the country, perhaps in the world.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 02-01-2020 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-01-2020, 09:12 AM

381 posts, read 349,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
None. No city is even close to what NYC can offer on an urban scale.

NYC is by far the greatest urban city in the country, perhaps in the world.
Okay Snobbish dude

In my opinion it's San Francisco because everyone is trapped on an island.
Sure it's a peninsula, but there's mountains to the south with a small strip of habited area that connects the rest.

You have 3 ways in. Golden gate, Bay bridge, or Daly city to the south. Which leaves a trapped sensation and everyone gets stuck in there. Couple it with the urban fabric... it's pretty active. Throughout the whole city you see people walking around on the street. There's very little quiet areas.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
But Chicago is not in any degree a row-home city. i don't know of any blocks where you can find solid attached housing. You see a section in places. But not a block.

Chicago's choice was unattached by far. Even if mere inches apart. Even new infill multi-residential housing is separated.

There are examples of rows for sure. But in where city's fall in % of attached housing as rows ..... Chicago is very low in %.

These are even examples of newer infill. Same footprint as former-housing once there. But multi-residential infill now.

These are not traits of NYC or Philly.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9464...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9459...7i13312!8i6656

These are examples of high-priced new infill housing

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9190...7i13312!8i6656

https://goo.gl/maps/DFXkSMr1zgoXtK4K6

I'm not sure if Chicago has anything like this? These are all over Northeast/far North Philly and outer parts of West Philly. I know New York has tons of rowhomes like these in Queens and I think some are in the Bronx. I'm not sure what the exact style is called. They seem to have been built mostly in the 50s and 60s.

https://goo.gl/maps/Qd3Ccikk5mH8aJwY6

I'm not sure if this style of duplex is abundant in New York but these can be found all over Northeast Philly and almost any more suburban area outside the greater Center City area.

These rowhomes and duplexes both tend to have alleys behind them which is otherwise uncommon in Philadelphia.

Last edited by KoNgFooCj; 02-01-2020 at 09:40 AM..

Old 02-01-2020, 09:25 AM

330 posts, read 294,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Okay Snobbish dude

In my opinion it's San Francisco because everyone is trapped on an island.
Sure it's a peninsula, but there's mountains to the south with a small strip of habited area that connects the rest.

You have 3 ways in. Golden gate, Bay bridge, or Daly city to the south. Which leaves a trapped sensation and everyone gets stuck in there. Couple it with the urban fabric... it's pretty active. Throughout the whole city you see people walking around on the street. There's very little quiet areas.
I have been to SF many times when I lived in LA

I don’t think SF looks like NYC/Manhattan at all other than being the city with the highest density on the west coast. I think the overall feel/layout of SF is a lot of closer to Boston than it is to NYC/Manhattan.

After all, outside of the Union Square/Financial District where do you see an urban presence in SF? Presidio/North Beach/Mission/Marin County, etc these are all incredibly suburban places.

Being urban doesn’t mean it is good and being suburban doesn’t mean it is bad. Different people have different preferences. But if you are talking about the greatest urban city in the country, I would say NYC by far.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 02-01-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-01-2020, 09:37 AM

381 posts, read 349,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post

After all, outside of the Union Square/Financial District where do you see an urban presence in SF? Nob Hill/Presidio/North Beach/Mission/Soma/Marin County, etc these are all incredibly suburban places.
Troll account. I'm done.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:43 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Chicago, IL The Loop, Lincoln Town areas

Old 02-01-2020, 10:15 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times
Quote:
Troll account. I'm done.
I agree San Fran matches nyc in urban feel in certain parts..especially union square and Chinatown..obviously it doesn’t come close in urban scale and experience as none of the cities here come close in urban scale and experience

Old 02-01-2020, 10:17 AM

1,393 posts, read 861,365 times
Quote:
Troll account. I'm done.
I agree San Fran matches nyc in urban feel in certain parts..especially union square and Chinatown..actually union squares in each city sort of remind me of each other...except it’s the primary shopping area in sf and just one of many in nyc...obviously it doesn’t come close in urban scale as none of the cities here come close in urban scale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City