Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city or cities most closely resembles the urban feel of NYC?
Boston 24 16.22%
Chicago 78 52.70%
Philadelphia 48 32.43%
San Francisco 53 35.81%
LA 9 6.08%
DC 10 6.76%
Other 12 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 07:10 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It's Philly and it isn't even close. The people who are saying "the Loop looks/feels like Midtown" aren't familiar with either location, apparently. Is it just because both areas have tall buildings?
Midtown is not a small area and has a lot of areas. I mostly agree although there's a few intersections in Midtown that could pass as a few intersections of The Loop. Otherwise I agree that they don't look a ton similar. It's just a few intersections on the avenues, mainly ones like Park Ave in a few spots.

No neighborhoods in Chicago could be identical stand-ins for NYC - there are a few very small sections. However this describes every city in the US. If you're talking about urban feel, I think Chicago and Philadelphia are the logical choices - maybe SF as well.

At the same time though, I don't think there's any denying that these all have similar urban feel:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...!4d-73.9766645

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8793...7i16384!8i8192

Last edited by marothisu; 02-16-2020 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 07:26 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Midtown is not a small area and has a lot of areas. I mostly agree although there's a few intersections in Midtown that could pass as a few intersections of The Loop. Otherwise I agree that they don't look a ton similar. It's just a few intersections on the avenues, mainly ones like Park Ave in a few spots.

No neighborhoods in Chicago could be identical stand-ins for NYC - there are a few very small sections. However this describes every city in the US. If you're talking about urban feel, I think Chicago and Philadelphia are the logical choices - maybe SF as well.
The Loop = Financial District
New East Side = Battery Park City
River North = Midtown
Streeterville & Gold Coast = Upper East Side
Lincoln Park = Greenwich Village
Lakeview = Upper West Side
West Loop = Downtown Brooklyn
Fulton Market = Soho/Tribeca
West Town = Park Slope
Wicker Park & Bucktown = Williamsburg
Logan Square = Bushwick
Pilsen = Bushwick
South Loop = Long Island City
Hyde Park = Harlem/Morningside Heights
Bucktown/Wicker Park = Williamsburg
Englewood = South/Central Bronx
Bronzeville = Fort Green/Clinton Hill

Old 02-16-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The Loop = Financial District
New East Side = Battery Park City
River North = Midtown
Streeterville & Gold Coast = Upper East Side
Lincoln Park = Greenwich Village
Lakeview = Upper West Side
West Loop = Downtown Brooklyn
Fulton Market = Soho/Tribeca
West Town = Park Slope
Wicker Park & Bucktown = Williamsburg
Logan Square = Bushwick
Pilsen = Bushwick
South Loop = Long Island City
Hyde Park = Harlem/Morningside Heights
I was saying identical stand ins. I think the only area of Chicago that could confuse people in some areas is the Loop vs. a few parts of Midtown. Nothing is identical other than that. However, I think Chicago is the best choice in terms of scale of urban feel most like NYC. Obviously there's nothing like NYC and that's not a bad thing - but the question is which is the next best choice. I would pick Chicago with Philadelphia not far behind.

I do think the Loop definitely has Midtown-ish parts to it, for example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8793...7i16384!8i8192

vs.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...!4d-73.9766645

But at the same time there's other parts of Midtown (which is a big area) that aren't necessarily too similar. Utterly depends on where you are in Midtown and the same goes for the Loop. But to say there's no parts of The Loop like no parts of Midtown is also not really true.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I was saying identical stand ins. I think the only area of Chicago that could confuse people in some areas is the Loop vs. a few parts of Midtown. Nothing is identical other than that. However, I think Chicago is the best choice in terms of scale of urban feel most like NYC. Obviously there's nothing like NYC and that's not a bad thing - but the question is which is the next best choice. I would pick Chicago with Philadelphia not far behind.
Chicago subway and buses runs almost 24 hours a day, L run 24 hours a day, two major airports, two major sports baseball teams etc

Old 02-16-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Chicago subway and buses runs almost 24 hours a day, L run 24 hours a day, two major airports, two major sports baseball teams etc
LOL we are in agreement that Chicago is the best choice for this thread...

By the way, only 2 of the subway lines in Chicago run 24/7 and only a handful of bus lines run 24/7, but yes mostly agree. Just wanted to point that out. I lived in Chicago for 8 years.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:35 AM

Philly is there too Center City is like baby Manhattan some parts of the city look like old school Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 AM

Yes, Chicago and Philadelphia are obvious choices. Parts of SF too and maybe a few parts of Boston after that. In terms of scale though, Chicago then Philadelphia.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:40 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,989 times
Outside of the loop-midtown comparisons, I dont see a lot of resemblance between Chicago and NYC. Chicago just has more of an younger, more sterile (though Chicago is not a sterile city) and modern look compared to NYC. There is a lot a less grit. Chicago's urban form of wider streets, detached housing and different architecture styles, are the reasons why you can tell it's a midwestern city and it evokes the midwestern vibe through and through. Therefore, Chicago is not the most similar US city to NYC in urban feel on scale, or pound by pound-block by block basis. Chicago does give you most the similar feeling to being in midtown, but the obvious fact is that NYC, let alone Manhattan, is hell of a lot more than midtown.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:01 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
I always say that Chicago by the late 1800s and early 20th century. Chose NOT to build NYC density in especially Tenement-style at buildings. It was also a era horrors of sardine-density tenements coming to life in news.

I past ordinances to prevent it. It chose a street-grid and stuck to it. Alleys define its grid. City of Alleys could be a nick. 1900 miles of standard alleys with its power-grid.

Philly chose row-housing and Chicago did not. Especially for common working class areas. High-end areas got some. But never full blocks on both sides.

Manhattanizarion of Chicago core happened naturally. But in the early 20th century it set height limits to prevent over-building. These decades lead to NYC taking over as the major skyscraper city. These limits held the city back them decades.

Later in the 20th century. Chicago's core again took off in 3-supertalls built in a 5- year period. Therefore the sky was the limit. It protected its lakefront. Parks in the core and made its comeback that everything shows and works and zones if high-rises to more are allowed. Also protects its single-close-knit housing from total alterations.

Chicago housing is pretty unique to it as earlier LA's was. But it never wanted to be NYC. IMO

1912-13 was the passing of a exterior window in every room to kill common tenements.

https://ia801907.us.archive.org/18/i...07_4569578.xml

A Women began a fight against tenements without oversight etc. But it did help lead to the 1912 ordinance. That effectively killed NYC tenement mass building.

https://digital.janeaddams.ramapo.edu/items/show/1270

One Chicago passing height limits after pioneered the skyscraper. Gave NYC the vast advantage it took over.

https://theconversation.com/a-short-...yscraper-56850

From link:
- Chicago imposed a height limit of 40 metres in 1893, but New York raced ahead with large and tall blocks.

Last edited by DavePa; 02-16-2020 at 11:36 AM..

Old 02-16-2020, 11:26 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Yeah a lot of Chicagos Millenium Area looks like Manhattan, a clean Manhattan. But most of Chocyago is sprawly and doesnt fit a Nyc look. Philly has the grit of NYC especially outside the CBD, so i nominate Philly because outside the core its very much like Ny. Bostons core is too posh and quaint to be like NYC, its also designed like a European city. Maybe more like London than NY. SF? SF is erecting glass towers and its marvelously hilly. I dont see the NYC resemblance here at all, maybe inbetween Philly and Boston for street level. But thats it.

But for this list: (i take more than just the core into consideration)

1. Philly (Closest fit. High core and then the grit of the inner ring is apparent. Nice suburbs that are connected by rail too)
2. Chicago (the Core? Yes. Outside the core? Nein)
3. San Fran (the vibe is way different. Glassy, palm trees, etc)
4. Boston (Too quaint and posh. Its like a mid sized euro city. However Chinatown looks a lot like Nyc Now)
5. DC (Could resemble Queens in some places but no)
6. LA (the polar opposite of NYC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City