Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city or cities most closely resembles the urban feel of NYC?
Boston 24 16.22%
Chicago 78 52.70%
Philadelphia 48 32.43%
San Francisco 53 35.81%
LA 9 6.08%
DC 10 6.76%
Other 12 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2009, 02:21 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times

Advertisements

LA is not suburban. San Francisco is not laid back (I wish it was).

The wonderful thing about NYC - and about all great cities - is that it is unique.

I don't get the Las Vegas comparison, but then again, I really don't "get" Las Vegas in general. The strip has sidewalks and people walk on it, but it's all so artificial (which I guess is what people love about it, maybe?).
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 02:26 PM

203 posts, read 688,975 times
Sf then Chicago distant third...sure it has big buildings but Midwestern vibe and isolation kills it

Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 PM

505 posts, read 1,385,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
San Francisco is not laid back (I wish it was).
Someone I know who came to Boston for school and had visited San Francisco told me that San Francisco was laid back and kind of easygoing in terms of the people's attitudes and not as rush-rush and uptight as Boston. I can't tell if that's true, I've never been to SF, but I'm just putting that out there.

Anyway, I think that, as a few others have said, New York is so unique, big, dense, and urban that it basically blows away other cities, which doesn't make it superior, just different. Other cities have elements of New York in them, but I don't think that one takes the cake over another in coming close to New York's overall feel.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
DC:
How it is like New York: center of global power, full of ambitious and power-driven. City thinks the world revolves around it. Massive, expensive CBD. Expensive. Well educated, cosmopolitan population. Extensive mass transit. Some dense urban areas.
How it is not like NYC: Although dense for an American city, IMO it doesn’t have the same level of urbanism as the main 4. It came of age in post-WWII, as result it is more suburban. The urban core is smaller. Downtown shuts down on the weekends, with some exceptions. No major downtown shopping area. Most immigrant enclaves are in the 'burbs. Although the population is similar to Boston; Bos is smaller in area, plus it has a number of urban suburbs that are denser than DC proper.

Caymon,

I think your write up is on point with the exception of some aspects of DC. DC's density is right on par with Philly (10,000) and Boston (10,000) at 9000 pp/psm. Secondly, DC's urban core is larger than Philly, Boston and SF. Downtown is completely built out with midrise office buildings. There is only one surface parking lot DT which was the site of the old convention center. DT DC has more office space than all of the cities on your list except NYC & Chicago. I have never heard anyone call DC suburban looking. It is one of the top transportation and walking cities in the US. DC was designed to resemble the urban core of Paris with circles, squares, broad avenues and parks. Lastly, Boston's suburbs are nowhere near as urban as Arlington, Silver Spring, Bethesda and Alexandria. Each of these areas are connected by the metro and have their own CBD.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I would have to say Philly in terms of look and feel is the most like NYC. I guess NYC lies between Boston and Philly both literally and figuratively.

Chicago and San Francisco are also more NYC-like than most other cities for the reasons given.

ABQConvict

Old 06-29-2009, 03:12 PM

Philly looks more like NYC on the ground level. Chicago has the whole skyscraper thing going. SF has the density and crowds DT. Boston and NYC are opposite ends of the spectrum. Same with DC. The only thing that resembles NY is the hectic pace and the east coast mentality.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Chicago... more than skylines, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Bucktown/Wicker Park, Belmont, among others, have a dense Park Slope/Brooklyn Heights feel to them: sophisticated, busy, foot traffic, high public transit (El) reliance, and lots of old brownstone (flats) walk ups. Chicago Neighborhoods in the North, Northwest and South Loop definitely have the New York look, feel and energy. And the Magnificent Mile matches 5th Ave (exceeds it in my eyes) as the trendy/glitzy shopping drag... And yes, there's a more down-to-earth Midwestern feel about Chicago: people aren't ashamed of the fact: they love their steaks; college football (no Ivy League prissy crap, this is Big 10 country where you go to giant big state Us, get good educations there and aren't afraid to have good sports teams -- sports and academics aren't seen as contradictory out in Chi-town)... And Chicago loves it's hometown McDonald's. There's even one in glitzy Water Tower Place -- try that on Fifth Ave...

Old 06-30-2009, 05:25 AM

When I am in Chicago (outside of the Loop), I don't get the NYC vibe at all. The neighborhoods (midwest housing stock, no street vendors, no filth) look much different. The flats and spread out feel of the streets that run forever looks like Chicago (one and only). If you drop someone in say south Philly, (compact) it reminds me of certain parts of Queens right off the bat until someone opens their mouth and I am reminded that I am in the City of Brotherly love.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Chicago... more than skylines, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Bucktown/Wicker Park, Belmont, among others, have a dense Park Slope/Brooklyn Heights feel to them: sophisticated, busy, foot traffic, high public transit (El) reliance, and lots of old brownstone (flats) walk ups. Chicago Neighborhoods in the North, Northwest and South Loop definitely have the New York look, feel and energy. And the Magnificent Mile matches 5th Ave (exceeds it in my eyes) as the trendy/glitzy shopping drag... And yes, there's a more down-to-earth Midwestern feel about Chicago: people aren't ashamed of the fact: they love their steaks; college football (no Ivy League prissy crap, this is Big 10 country where you go to giant big state Us, get good educations there and aren't afraid to have good sports teams -- sports and academics aren't seen as contradictory out in Chi-town)... And Chicago loves it's hometown McDonald's. There's even one in glitzy Water Tower Place -- try that on Fifth Ave...
No-nonsense and fairly factual. I do agree with Mich. Ave. being more interesting than 5th Ave. (really, no contest), but disagree that S. Loop has energy.

I like this post; so much so that I'm repping you.

I also agree w/ post immediately above parts of Philadelphia having a look and feel of Queens and Brooklyn.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Philadelphia has the NYC urbanity that many other cities lack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City