Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Impact on American Pop Culture?
San Francisco Bay Area, California 59 62.11%
chic-land, midwest 36 37.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:10 PM

322 posts, read 800,527 times

Advertisements

I'd say the Bay.

Everyone has an Apple/Iphone, its where all the cool internet sites are located(google,ebay,craigslist etc etc), everythings hi-tech, they are at the forefront of new laws and bans, first REAL high-speed rail line coming between SF and L.A

and come on...it's in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM

203 posts, read 689,278 times
LOL I'm on my iphone right now

Old 06-25-2009, 04:38 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,937 times
Finally you found a topic which can totally blow Chicago away. LOL. I don't even know what pop culture in America is impacted by Chicago except for the Boeing planes. Chicago culture is not popular anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
I'd say the Bay.

Everyone has an Apple/Iphone, its where all the cool internet sites are located(google,ebay,craigslist etc etc), everythings hi-tech, they are at the forefront of new laws and bans, first REAL high-speed rail line coming between SF and L.A

Old 06-25-2009, 04:52 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
I'd say the Bay.

Yawn......

There is already a San Francisco vs. Chicago thread on this.

Hasn't this topic been discussed before. It seems like this thread is just a front for yet another anti-Chicago thread.

When will people come up with something original?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times

instigator
-mas23-

Old 06-25-2009, 05:06 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Thumbs up Chicago

Quote:
I'd say the Bay.

Its shocking I never thought of internet sites like google or ebay as culture before. Nor did I ever think of high speed rail as culture either! And if "new laws and bans" are considered "culture" than Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union must have been centers of high culture!

But I do know things ranging from the Second City (comedy) all the way to the Joffrey Ballet and Chicago Symphony Orchestra (one of the big 5) is certainly culture!

Don't get me wrong, Nightmare --- I understand what you are saying about the new stuff. But I do believe you and other people are grossly underrating Chicago here.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 PM

94 posts, read 281,969 times
List of people from Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a gigantic list of people from Chicago, including musicians and entertainers. I know Chicago has a great comedy scene as well as theater. It's also famous for the Blues, and holds a festival to celebrate it annually, too.

Both cities have made great contributions to American pop culture

Old 06-25-2009, 08:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Well, lets see Chicago does have: Michael Jordan, Oprah, Obama; that in itself is tough to beat.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:03 PM

184 posts, read 447,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
And if "new laws and bans" are considered "culture" than Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union must have been centers of high culture!
Exactly, as a SF resident I'd say it's one of the worst aspects of the area, along with the ridiculous housing costs. If both of those trends continue we'll see most of the innovators fleeing the area for greener pastures. Lets face it, it's not business friendly. Nanny States don't work.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:47 PM

330 posts, read 681,923 times
Chicago hasn't had an impact on the psyche of those outside the US Midwest since the days of Micheal Jordan ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City