Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I like the Prescott area a lot. I have a friend that lives (actually grew up in) in Prescott Valley.
It's too bad the farm in Dewey closed (I forget the name) that had all sorts of fall activities like pumpkin patches, etc. That was a great place to go in October.
Now Prescott, along with Flagstaff, is one of the places in Arizona that I actually like. My friend and I used to go out there a lot. I especially liked the clean atmosphere, and the fact that they implemented the smoking ban way before Phoenix did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 05:57 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
Very true, Flagstaff is a very liberal town. Perhaps the most liberal, "hippy", and "smart growth" city in Arizona.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Remember suburban counties are considered "urban" counties for demographic purposes and are included in metro statistics making them "urban" counties. Many "urban," although suburban counties encircling the few urban counties make up the BULK of the urban population. Take Dallas for instance. A metro area of 6.6 million people. HOWEVER, only 2.3 million live in Dallas County; the rest of the 4.3 million metro dallas population live in suburban counties that HEAVILY favored McCain.
I don't want to get into the middle of any spirited disagreements, since I only discovered this conversation when someone linked to the 2008 electoral information on my web site. (Thanks!) But I think the comment that suburban areas heavily favored McCain is inaccurate . . . except in Texas.

Nationwide -- for the most part -- the highest population areas are favoring Democrats, the lowest density rural areas tend to vote for Republicans, and the suburban counties are swing regions.

It's true that most suburban areas/counties trended more Republican than urban areas in 2004 and 2008, but that does not mean that they heavily favored either George W. Bush or John McCain. On average, most suburban counties were within one standard deviation of the national average of the elections, which was rather evenly split in both elections.

It was really only Texas where suburban counties were frequently one or more standard deviations away from the national average. In my opinion, this reflects the overall electoral makeup of the state, which went overwhelmingly for Republicans.

Since you're interested in Dallas, here's the breakdown for the Dallas metropolitan area, which includes urban, suburban and partially rural counties:

County --- Obama --- McCain --- Est. Total votes

Collin --- 37 --- 63 --- 292324
Dallas --- 57 --- 42 --- 741359
Delta --- 27 --- 72 --- 2191
Denton --- 38 --- 62 --- 240422
Ellis --- 29 --- 71 --- 53361
Hunt --- 29 --- 70 --- 29457
Johnson --- 26 --- 73 --- 50087
Kaufman --- 32 --- 68 --- 34884
Parker --- 22 --- 77 --- 47551
Rockwall --- 27 --- 73 --- 31711
Tarrant --- 44 --- 56 --- 621944
Wise --- 22 --- 78 --- 20436

Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Actually JeffMather, thank you, I WAS ONLY talking about the suburban counties in TEXAS as heavily favoring McCain. I noted the discrepancy with Texas and other states, including Arizona and how much MORE Texas is republican. It is a VERY republican state and will be so for the foreseeable future. Your Dallas metro area county information actually supplements my statements that Dallas, and Texas are very much a republican and conservative state especially compared to Phoenix and Arizona. Thanks for listing the Dallas metro counties and how much more republican the Dallas area is compared to Phoenix! Point proved!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,272 times
The other thing you have to take into account (and I'm not really sure how), is that McCain ran a really poor campaign, despite being a former POW and having a "great story" he doesn't come across as a likable guy, and his record in the senate did little (if anything) to get conservatives to vote for him. Not to mentin President Bush's approval numbers....
So I think if one were to use election data (specifically Presidential election data) to determine whether a particular area is more conservative or more liberal, especially when the percentages are close, I'm not really sure that says anything or gives any real insight.
But the data jeffmather supplied is telling.

Last edited by Ritchie_az; 07-15-2009 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Added line.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
The other thing you have to take into account (and I'm not really sure how), is that McCain ran a really poor campaign, despite being a former POW and having a "great story" he doesn't come across as a likable guy, and his record in the senate did little (if anything) to get conservatives to vote for him. Not to mentin President Bush's approval numbers....
So I think if one were to use election data (specifically Presidential election data) to determine whether a particular area is more conservative or more liberal, especially when the percentages are close, I'm not really sure that says anything or gives any real insight.
But the data jeffmather supplied is telling.
Actually, I think it is very telling. Given that you say McCain ran a poor campaign and Bush's legacy for republicans, the majority of Texas still favored McCain. Also telling are the counties of metro Dallas and their majority landslide victories for McCain with over 70% victories. And McCain is not a traditional conservative, however, if you break it down further and bring it home, Texas has 20 out of 32 House seats going republican and a +1 for the republicans. That is a 63% republican majority.

In Arizona 5 out of 8 House seats are democrat, meaning 63% of the seats are democratic and a +1 victory for the democrats in the House for Arizona. Our other republican Senator, Jon Kyl, has been bashed by his fellow republicans for being too liberal, just like McCain. The problem with Arizona Repubs is their socially liberal views, abhorred by mainstream conservatives, and fiscally conservative outlook which is very libertarian relative to the rest of the country.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,272 times
I agree. I guess my post was more aimed at those claiming the Dallas area to be liberal and Texas becoming a Democrat state.
Arizona is more liberal than it once was. I think, as a whole, Arizona tends to be an independent group. I'm not sure how that equats politically, but I'm sure it does somehow.
I've heard it said that one cannot be socially liberal and fiscally conservatives, because the bills eventually come due. I'm sure plenty try, though. Maybe that explains some of the financial mess Arizona finds itself in.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Aren't NC and SC republican states for the most part??? WA has high unemployment, true but the school districts are in great shape, LOL! MA and NY don't have the high rate of unemployment and they are just as populated as IL.
MA and NY (even AZ) are right there with IL. Rates have risen in all states since this was taken though.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__V1GJlBady...-+Jan+2009.gif

Old 07-15-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
MA and NY (even AZ) are right there with IL. Rates have risen in all states since this was taken though.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__V1GJlBady...-+Jan+2009.gif
Cool, so I guess all is equal then; repub, demo, all the same!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I agree. I guess my post was more aimed at those claiming the Dallas area to be liberal and Texas becoming a Democrat state.
Arizona is more liberal than it once was. I think, as a whole, Arizona tends to be an independent group. I'm not sure how that equats politically, but I'm sure it does somehow.
I've heard it said that one cannot be socially liberal and fiscally conservatives, because the bills eventually come due. I'm sure plenty try, though. Maybe that explains some of the financial mess Arizona finds itself in.
Yes, I think it helps explain some of the mess. It is "tricky" being a socially liberal state with a conservative financial plan. Nonetheless, it is Arizona's historical political climate. But that is Arizona, we want great schools, great transit and freeway options, great medical care for all, domestic partnership benefits, smart growth, etc. but we DON'T want to pay more taxes, LOL! We are stuck in our own mess. Eventually, taxes will have to rise, so Steve-o is right there. Our unrestricted growth once "paid" for itself, but not so much at this point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City