Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Denver from 1972 - 1977. We go back to visit relatives occasionally. There is no way I'd trade living in Austin for Denver. Whenever we go back in the wintertime it strikes me how ugly Denver is that time of year. Dirty slush and snow everywhere on the icy roads. I grew up in the snow in a rural area of Wyoming, which was fine. But I will never live in a city where it snows again, the traffic situation on icy roads is too horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:46 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee55 View Post
Lived in both Colorado (near Denver) and am now living in Austin.

If you like HEAT and HUMID go to Austin.
Not sure where you are getting your facts. Austin has very little if any noticable daytime humidity during the summer months. Sure, Denver is a little dryer (and a lot cooler), but both cities frequently post negative heat indexs during the heat of the summer.

If you like COLD and DRY go to Denver.
As a former resident of Colorado, I can tell you that Denver does get cold in the winter, but it RARELY stays cold for more than a day or two. They also get a lot of snow, but that rarely stays around very long either. It is not uncommon for Denver to be basking in the sunny 60's in mid January (of course, the next day could be 25, snowing, with 40 MPH winds. It's very up and down there.

If you like a BIG city go to Denver, as Austin is relatively small compared to Denver.
You really can't compare Austin to Denver. Denver is far larger and beats Austin in nearly every comparison. Denver overall has a higher cost of living, but only as an overall metropolitian area. Most of the central Austin will compare quite well in cost to center Denver (Denver burbs tend to be higher than Austin burbs)

Texas has no income taxes, Colorado does.
Texas has rediculously high property taxes, so you probably come out even in the end.

I think Colorado has beauty hands down, but is expensive (relative to Texas).
Yes, Colorado wins hands down. One of the most beautiful states in the nation. Texas is one of the ugliest states in the nation, that is why people get excited here about a few hills and some short stubby trees! (aka, the hill country)

Lots of jobs in Texas, less in Colorado.
Yes, lots of jobs in both states.

Lots to do in Colorado, variety. Texas prevents much outdoors activity due to the extreme heat in summer.
Denver and surrounding areas has almost limitless outdoor activities that you can pretty much do year round (except during those blizzards in the winter) In Austin, you must stay indoors at least 3-4 months out of the year. Once again, Denver has over 100 miles of biking trails, several hundred miles of hiking trails, beautiful vistas and scenery all over the place.

Can't compare schools as schools vary SO much from district to district in BOTH states.
Schools are going to very around Denver just as they do in Austin. As a general rule, most of the highest end suburbs in Denver have better schools.

Heavy Catholic, Hispanic influence in Texas, not so much so once you get north of Pueblo in Colorado.
Not true. Denver proper has a huge Hispanic community (over 25% of the population) There are hispanic radio stations, newspapers, and television stations. A hispanic individual will have no problem feeling at home in Denver.

I won't be staying in Texas...I have just had enough of the heat. One year you will have record drought the next year you need a boat!
I am under the impression that some people avoid Colorado do to their false perceptions of the winters there. Sure it can get cold in Colorado, but it can also be beautiful and warm during the winter as well. The weather is constantly changing throughout the winter--I would definitely say, the winter in Colorado is nothing close to as bad as Chicago, New york, or even kansas City.

I wish very much that I could leave the hugely overrated city of Austin as well. However, that won't be for a while though. Give colorado a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:56 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I am under the impression that some people avoid Colorado do to their false perceptions of the winters there. Sure it can get cold in Colorado, but it can also be beautiful and warm during the winter as well. The weather is constantly changing throughout the winter--I would definitely say, the winter in Colorado is nothing close to as bad as Chicago, New york, or even kansas City.
let them keep their false perceptions. no harm done.

Quote:
I wish very much that I could leave the hugely overrated city of Austin as well. However, that won't be for a while though.
why wait?

Quote:
Give colorado a shot, you won't be disappointed.
are you advocating mass migration? I'm not sure people in Colorado are prepared for Spanish, loud, tasteless music, lunatic driving and garbage throwing ...

Last edited by austinite45; 07-13-2009 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
I think it's too late in Colorado for all of those you mention except the garbage throwing. Garbage throwing doesn't happen often there.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:15 PM

302 posts, read 690,375 times
My two cents...

(1) Denver is a larger city, Austin is smaller. Lots of things are buried in those two statements. The question is, which do you prefer? Big city, or small city?
(2) Denver is generally colder, Austin is generally warmer. Both seem to have extreme temperature swings (Denver to cold, Austin to hot).
(3) Denver is aprox. 9% more expensive on the COL side of the house, but that varies wildly based on exactly you plan on living (ex. Denver is 25% more expensive than Round Rock). Is the COL difference between the two spots in each city you would like to live in enough to make a difference for you?

So it depends on what you are looking for. Visit both cities before you make up your mind.

On the weather thing, for me it all came down to one question:

"What do I prefer: turning on the heater/fireplace to try to feel warm, or turning on the AC to try to feel cold?"

Answer to that one for me was that I can never get comfortably warm with the heater/fireplace. So we're now in Austin.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM

13 posts, read 31,095 times
Austin is a great city, but there are very few comfortable days between May and October! Summers are so hot!!! (like the too hot to walk to the mailbox hot!!) I have never been to Denver in the winter, so I can't really give an opinion on that, but the beauty of Denver and the surrounding areas is incredible
p.s.-My family and I are about to move to Denver from the hot state of Texas, so ask me my opinion again after a cold, snowy winter in the mountains?!?!?

Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 AM

12 posts, read 47,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post

I wish very much that I could leave the hugely overrated city of Austin as well. However, that won't be for a while though. Give colorado a shot, you won't be disappointed.
eepstein: You seem to think this is a debate forum or something, or maybe you just like to argue and challenge people.

The winters in Colorado are cold. You cannot debate that. It is humid in Austin, you can't debate that. The BEST thing about Colorado VS say, Minnesota is that at LEAST you have off again, on again cold in Colorado, you don't get the CONSTANT cold. You can get out.

One must also consider if you have animals in Texas. I have a German Shepherd dog. HE loves COLD. HE can't take heat. I run him outside, or hike with him outside, and in South Texas (Austin) I can only take him out from LATE OCTOBER to LATE APRIL. Otherwise he can't stay out due to the HEAT in Texas! Even at night, yes, it may cool down to 74-79, but usually not, BUT the humidity is atrocious! 75% of the time the humidity is uncomfortable and I run the A/C to keep it below 70% most the time...

Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Denver is far better except for cost of living.

Very true.....I lived in Denver in 2005-2006, and it CAN be expensive, but if you budget your money properly and live within your means then you can be just as happy if not more in Denver!!! IMO, Denver is "REAL", and Austin is somewhat pretentious.....not as bad as Dallas, but it's getting there. I will warn you, Denver can be kind of clique-ish, but once you meet the people you connect with, it's a blast.

GO FOR DENVER!!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:17 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,358 times
Sir, check your facts. Austin feels a lot more like west texas than east texas. The humidity levels are higher in the early morning hours, but there is NEVER a heat index in the afternoon. Yes, it is THAT dry here. Austin and San Antonio are quite unique in the lack of daytime humidity during the summer months. Of course, things could turn more humid in a wetter season, but by and large central TX is quite dry.

Colorado IS cold, I will not argue with you there. But as a former resident I can tell you that extreme cold never lasts very long. Sunshine is very plentiful and even days in the 30's and 40's feel good. You can be outdoors most of the winter in Denver and Colorado Springs. Yes, they do have blizzards, but once again it lasts a day, then its 50 the following day melting most of the snow. You want brutal??? GO up into the Colorado Mountains. Now THATS cold and snowy!!

The fact remains there is NO contest between Austin and Denver. Denver pretty much has everything you could possibly want in a city. Endless outdoor opportunities, beautiful scenery, great overall climate, great amusement parks, professional sports teams, great light rail system, great freeway system, major convention/business city, major airport (the list goes on and on). Austin has NONE of that. Denver is the REAL DEAL. Austin is a just a shotty imitator that will always come in a distant 4th place behind Houston, Dallas, and SA. Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee55 View Post
eepstein: You seem to think this is a debate forum or something, or maybe you just like to argue and challenge people.

The winters in Colorado are cold. You cannot debate that. It is humid in Austin, you can't debate that. The BEST thing about Colorado VS say, Minnesota is that at LEAST you have off again, on again cold in Colorado, you don't get the CONSTANT cold. You can get out.

One must also consider if you have animals in Texas. I have a German Shepherd dog. HE loves COLD. HE can't take heat. I run him outside, or hike with him outside, and in South Texas (Austin) I can only take him out from LATE OCTOBER to LATE APRIL. Otherwise he can't stay out due to the HEAT in Texas! Even at night, yes, it may cool down to 74-79, but usually not, BUT the humidity is atrocious! 75% of the time the humidity is uncomfortable and I run the A/C to keep it below 70% most the time...

Old 07-26-2009, 07:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
I don't think I'd call I 25 better than I 35. It can get dangerous and heavily filled with traffic. Same with I 70 on a weekend when you drive up to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City