Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:27 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Oh, and I have been so finding that out....
You called that correctly ( I was wondering if anyone would ever comment on that line.)

Phil
If you want to live in an area (downtown Portland) nice enough to have the experience I described above (walking everywhere, grocery stores, etc.) "limited financial means" is a scary term.

BUT if you were willing to live in north Portland in an area that was poor and fairly dangerous a decade ago but which is now the artists district with dense, walkable, "funky" neighborhoods, restaurants, and grocery stores that is still an easy MAX ride into downtown, your money will go further - not for much longer though, the area is currently experiencing urban renewal and prices are rising quickly. Again though, it's an "artsy fartsy" area and you would be living with those 30-something hipsters you don't like. Still, it's a popular destination for older people looking to retire in a more urban environment from the suburbs (my mother being one of them).

Cost of living is much higher in San Francisco.

Also, one thing I wanted to mention but neglected to earlier is your grouping of San Fran as a "PNW" city. Have you had travel experience in either city? San Fran is probably as close to Portland and Seattle as you can get, but the "PNW" will feel different from any other part of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City