Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago vs. Philadelphia
Chicago 568 65.21%
Philadelphia 303 34.79%
Voters: 871. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 07:44 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ I agree, Philadelphia has a better location in case you want to visit other great cities (NYC, Boston, DC) and has some better surrounding nature outside of the city.
Sorry Charlie. Pound for pound ? Philadelphia blows the doors off of DC and Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 07:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Honestly, Chicago is better city. NYC and Chicago and Los Angeles are the three truly better cities in the US than Philadelphia, and Philadelphia does a lot of things better than LA. I think Philly is next in line and is truly a fierce competitor for San Francisco, DC and Boston. However, Chicago truly just does most things better as a city, from nightlife, to public transit, to shopping, to highrises, to museums, to attracting jobs, to parks, etc. However, Philly is better in higher education and hospitals, also might be better in the historical preservation and charming neighborhoods. Also probably better in natural beauty, and definitely better in location. They're probably tied when it comes to food and crime and even architecture. Chicago definitely has better highrise architecture even though Philly is no slouch here, but Philly definitely has better midrise and lowrise or home architecture.

Either way Chicago comes out on top for sure.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Sorry Charlie. Pound for pound ? Philadelphia blows the doors off of DC and Boston.
What are you talking about? I was comparing Chicago and Philadelphia. Nothing else - Philadelphia has a better location for getting to other, better cities than Chicago does. DC, Boston, NYC, etc are better cities than the likes of Milwaukee, Madison, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, etc.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Honestly, Chicago is better city. NYC and Chicago and Los Angeles are the three truly better cities in the US than Philadelphia, and Philadelphia does a lot of things better than LA. I think Philly is next in line and is truly a fierce competitor for San Francisco, DC and Boston. However, Chicago truly just does most things better as a city, from nightlife, to public transit, to shopping, to highrises, to museums, to attracting jobs, to parks, etc. However, Philly is better in higher education and hospitals, also might be better in the historical preservation and charming neighborhoods. Also probably better in natural beauty, and definitely better in location. They're probably tied when it comes to food and crime and even architecture. Chicago definitely has better highrise architecture even though Philly is no slouch here, but Philly definitely has better midrise and lowrise or home architecture.

Either way Chicago comes out on top for sure.
Not sure where you come up with this, but IMO they're about even. While Philadelphia has UPenn, an Ivy League school, Chicago has U of Chicago which is essentially an Ivy League school and rated slightly higher than UPenn (though they're close). Chicago also have Northwestern University near it which is rated in the top 15 universities in the nation. While the main campus is not in Chicago proper, Evanston is directly adjacent to the city and they have small campuses downtown where students attend. The main campus is located less than 4 miles from Loyola University and is also accessible via a city train that will take 30 minutes to get between there and downtown (which is just as long as some areas inside the city).

Anyway, if you go by US News Rankings:
4 ) University of Chicago
8 ) University of Pennyslvania
13) Northwestern University (Chicago)
95) Drexel (Philadelphia)
106) Loyola University - Chicago
116) Illinois Institute of Technology
121) DePaul (Chicago)
121) Temple (Philadelphia)
149) U of Illinois - Chicago

Even if you took Northwestern out, it would be pretty even and IMO may still slightly favor Chicago. I think if you can count Northwestern (and IMO you can since they have a campus inside the city and their main campus is within a mile or two of the edge of Chicago) then it would put Chicago over the edge easily.

As far as "Charming Neighborhoods" goes - very subjective. Philadelphia has a lot, but so too does Chicago. There are many charming neighborhoods that tourists never, ever see like Roscoe Village, Ukrainian Village, Bucktown, Lincoln Square, Edgewater, Lincoln Square, etc that are just as charming if not moreso than the likes of a Lincoln Park or Old Town.

For Hospitals, UPenn is on average ranked more highly than the likes of Northwestern or U of Chicago, but Northwestern is not that far behind it with most things. I'd probably agree with you on this, though Chicago is not that far behind in reality.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Not sure where you come up with this, but IMO they're about even. While Philadelphia has UPenn, an Ivy League school, Chicago has U of Chicago which is essentially an Ivy League school and rated slightly higher than UPenn (though they're close). Chicago also have Northwestern University near it which is rated in the top 15 universities in the nation. While the main campus is not in Chicago proper, Evanston is directly adjacent to the city and they have small campuses downtown where students attend. The main campus is located less than 4 miles from Loyola University and is also accessible via a city train that will take 30 minutes to get between there and downtown (which is just as long as some areas inside the city).

121) DePaul (Chicago)

Even if you took Northwestern out, it would be pretty even and IMO may still slightly favor Chicago. I think if you can count Northwestern (and IMO you can since they have a campus inside the city and their main campus is within a mile or two of the edge of Chicago) then it would put Chicago over the edge easily.

As far as "Charming Neighborhoods" goes - very subjective. Philadelphia has a lot, but so too does Chicago. There are many charming neighborhoods that tourists never, ever see like Roscoe Village, Ukrainian Village, Bucktown, Lincoln Square, Edgewater, Lincoln Square, etc that are just as charming if not moreso than the likes of a Lincoln Park or Old Town.

For Hospitals, UPenn is on average ranked more highly than the likes of Northwestern or U of Chicago, but Northwestern is not that far behind it with most things. I'd probably agree with you on this, though Chicago is not that far behind in reality.
Fair enough, they can be tied on Universities. I wasn't sure of the rankings off the top of my head honestly and was just guessing at ratings and honestly forgot about U of Chi.

Philly is definitely the better hospital/healthcare/medical/pharmaceutical city. Not only does Penn rank higher than Northwestern slightly, but Thomas Jefferson and Temple Hospital tend to rank very highly as well.

Also, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia consistently ranks as the number 1 Children's Hospital in the country year after year.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...l-and-overview

All on all, I still would consider Chicago the better city. It does the majority of categories in which you rank cities better than Philly, but I think Chicagoan's should at least acknowledge the categories in which Philly does better.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:32 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:

It's interesting to note the that according to the US News & World Report the Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia (CHOP) was ranked not only #1 pediatric hospital in the US but also #1 in the entire world.

On the other hand these rankings fluctuate from year to year so we can't hold them up as some kind of indisputable fact.

The main thing that makes Philly more appealing to me personally is A.) the weather, B.) the historical heritage, and C.) it's geographic location.

No I am not denying that Chicago has "charming" neighborhoods, but Philly has more 18th Century streets, lanes, and houses than any city in the US. Not important to most people, but I love wandering down some of the narrow cobblestone (Elfreth's Alley is true cobblestone, most are Belgian block, but a couple of blocks of Camac are wooden) lanes that Franklin, Washington, Jefferson and others strolled down.

To be fair Chicago is unquestionably superior city when it comes to "big city amenities" - restaurants, shopping, business, theater, etc. Marshal Field's (now Macy's) is so much more impressive than Wannamaker's (now Macy's). I even think Chicagoans are friendlier than Philadelphians.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:

121) DePaul (Chicago)

You forgot to include Princeton University which happens to be ranked #1 on the US News list. Overall, you have to give the edge to Philly area when it comes to higher education. Not only in quantity but quality as well. The Philly area is more solid on all levels of college ( Division-1, 2, 3, etc).

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Colleges & Universities - Welcome to Greater Philadelphia

Old 11-01-2014, 08:56 AM

199 posts, read 302,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Philadelphia, its not in the midwest and has a much better location with all the amenities of a major city, plus amazing history.
I know Philadelphia made so much history, but during this right now, Philadelphia is nothing, because Philadelphia has most poor people and lots ghetto house more than Chicago, and there is lots of murders and shooting in Philadelphia and Chicago, so I have to agree with Chicago

Old 11-01-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You forgot to include Princeton University which happens to be ranked #1 on the US News list. Overall, you have to give the edge to Philly area when it comes to higher education. Not only in quantity but quality as well. The Philly area is more solid on all levels of college ( Division-1, 2, 3, etc).

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

Colleges & Universities - Welcome to Greater Philadelphia
No, I didn't forget to include Princeton because it shouldn't be included in it. Princeton is almost 45 miles from Philadelphia. Everything I listed in that list above is either in the city of Philadelphia or in the city of Chicago. Except for Northwestern which is in Evanston, which is literally 1 mile outside of the city and has a large medical school/medical campus in downtown Chicago.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:56 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
No, I didn't forget to include Princeton because it shouldn't be included in it. Princeton is almost 45 miles from Philadelphia. Everything I listed in that list above is either in the city of Philadelphia or in the city of Chicago. Except for Northwestern which is in Evanston, which is literally 1 mile outside of the city and has a large medical school/medical campus in downtown Chicago.
This is about metropolitan regions, though, right? Princeton is in Central New Jersey, which arguably is within overlapping Philadelphia and New York spheres of influence--so it's not out of the question to associate the school with the Philly region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City