Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Boston 72 63.72%
DC 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:25 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Grit makes things more urban now?

Actually grit may be the worng word, mature and organic may be a better description. DC feels very sterile and homogenous in too much of the DT, to me this aspect of new urbanism detracts from the urban feel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually grit may be the worng word, mature and organic may be a better description. DC feels very sterile and homogenous in too much of the DT, to me this aspect of new urbanism detracts from the urban feel
I just don't see it. DC is clean and newer (I don't know how sterile is negative. Would the opposite be biohazard?), Boston is older and tighter. Plus points for the small streets and downtown density. DC having a larger area of their most urban environment get points (which is why New York gets the nod in most posts). The new urbanity is different, but not bad at all. To me it's close...

Old 10-18-2011, 03:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I just don't see it. DC is clean and newer (I don't know how sterile is negative. Would the opposite be biohazard?), Boston is older and tighter. Plus points for the small streets and downtown density. DC having a larger area of their most urban environment get points (which is why New York gets the nod in most posts). The new urbanity is different, but not bad at all. To me it's close...

Not saying is bad nor has to be a biohazzerd, just less uniform. The uniformity of new urbanism makes it seem more generic, less organic and to me the urban form is not sterile but organic.

To me these feels more urban and organic
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=boston...15.07,,0,-1.68

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=philad...95.41,,0,-1.83

Than would this, which to me feels more sterile
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=washin...283.34,,0,-0.7

Last edited by kidphilly; 10-18-2011 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 03:17 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,216 times
My opinion is different but that makes sense

Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Grit is dirty and trifling. Since we are known as one of the grittiest cities back in the 80's and 90's, we would prefer to not return to our roots. DC burned to the ground in the 60's and is just recovering. DC's modern design is the future. You all can have the roach motels. Murder capital....been there done that.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Why are you faulting DT DC for having a larger footprint. The Loop also has a much larger footprint than DT Boston.
The Loop is considerably bigger than DC or Boston in office space...however Chicago's footprint is not nearly as large as DC.

I made some Maps on Google Maps which outlines what Grubb-Ellis appears to outline as the Central Business Districts of each city.

Washington DC

Boston

Chicago

For what it's worth, I'm not faulting DC whatsoever...I'm just saying it's not as crowded or vibrant as Boston's CBD

Quote:
I don't understand this point. DT DC is completely built out, so your point is moot. The very large foot print but its filled with buildings!!! Hence the 110 million square feet of office space right behind Chicago. DT Boston is not there yet. BTW: Chinatown in DT DC is always vibrant.
You're still missing the point. I'm not denying that it's built out. You have been saying that it's more crowded and more vibrant. Technically, Phoenix has far more people than both Boston or DC...but you wouldn't say that it's more crowded or vibrant, would you? Now Boston & DC are far closer in this regard, but that was just an example. Yes, DC is built up (in office space) for a far larger distance, but Boston packs a more people into a smaller space.

That's good to hear about Chinatown. I think I had heard it was a pretty solid spot...it may have been on here.

Quote:
As for the Skins. We haven't won anything in 20 years and the team is the second most valuable franchise in all of sports behind the Cowboys and better attendance than 31 teams. Makes you think twice about your fanbase?
Actually, it should make you think twice about yours. You guys have been drinking diarrhea for two decades and you've been smiling the entire time.

Are you listening to your argument right now?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:22 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
"Miles of mid rise office buildings ranging from 12 to 14 stories"?! More like about two square miles of low rise office buildings in the 4 to 10 story range with a few outliers. One big suburban office park.
Hey idiot have you ever been to DT DC? K street is two miles of buildings from 12 to 14 stories from end to end. Same goes for G,H I L, M, etc. DT DC is completely built out McFly.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
The Loop is considerably bigger than DC or Boston in office space...however Chicago's footprint is not nearly as large as DC.

I made some Maps on Google Maps which outlines what Grubb-Ellis appears to outline as the Central Business Districts of each city.

Washington DC

Boston

Chicago

For what it's worth, I'm not faulting DC whatsoever...I'm just saying it's not as crowded or vibrant as Boston's CBD

You're still missing the point. I'm not denying that it's built out. You have been saying that it's more crowded and more vibrant. Technically, Phoenix has far more people than both Boston or DC...but you wouldn't say that it's more crowded or vibrant, would you? Now Boston & DC are far closer in this regard, but that was just an example. Yes, DC is built up (in office space) for a far larger distance, but Boston packs a more people into a smaller space.

That's good to hear about Chinatown. I think I had heard it was a pretty solid spot...it may have been on here.

Actually, it should make you think twice about yours. You guys have been drinking diarrhea for two decades and you've been smiling the entire time.

Are you listening to your argument right now?
You just proved my point about Skins fans! And yes, DT DC is much more crowded than DT Boston. DC almost doubles in population during the day. Plus, we have more tourist walking around. You people need to get out more often.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
"Miles of mid rise office buildings ranging from 12 to 14 stories"?! More like about two square miles of low rise office buildings in the 4 to 10 story range with a few outliers. One big suburban office park.
Go to google maps and prove what you typed?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not saying is bad nor has to be a biohazzerd, just less uniform. The uniformity of new urbanism makes it seem more generic, less organic and to me the urban form is not sterile but organic.

To me these feels more urban and organic
boston ma - Google Maps

philadelphia pa - Google Maps

Than would this, which to me feels more sterile
washington dc - Google Maps
I think most of you can't get with DT DC because it clean and very uniform. All of the buildings are the same height, offer underground parking and are not set back very far from the street. There is nothing office park about DT DC. That's some BS. I keep hearing "DT DC has a much larger footprint." So what. DC has a height restriction. So in order to accomodate 100 plus square feet of office space (which crushes Philly, Boston and SF), you have to keep building. DT DC is very large and it stretches for a few miles in each direction. Like I mentioned before. If you want to keep mentioning how vibrant DT Boston is, that's fine but I have numbers that say that DT DC has more people, more transportation riders, more office space, more buildings, more restaurants, more workers than Boston. Boston is cool but DT DC has many more things to do and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City