Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fith most important in the nation?
San Francisco 59 43.07%
Houston 32 23.36%
Boston 46 33.58%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Exactly.

But on this forum it doesn't really seem to matter what proofs people give -- GDP, population, types of industries or otherwise. Many of the others will continue to underrate Houston and try to minimize its importance simply because of it being in Texas/Sunbelt.
Well the only proof that you have shown is that Houston is a center for energy and oil. It's been proven time and time again that Boston and San Francisco have economies that are considerably larger than Houston's. The population of the cities are all relatively similar too...though the size is probably San Fran-->Boston-->Houston.

People aren't trying to minimize its importance because it's in the Sunbelt, at least that's not my motive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well the only proof that you have shown is that Houston is a center for energy and oil. It's been proven time and time again that Boston and San Francisco have economies that are considerably larger than Houston's. The population of the cities are all relatively similar too...though the size is probably San Fran-->Boston-->Houston.

People aren't trying to minimize its importance because it's in the Sunbelt, at least that's not my motive.
And that means absolutely nothing??

Also big on Healthcare and Aeronautics.

One of the most busiest and important ports in the company.

You can't speak on the TMC without acknowledging it's importance and prominence. No other city in the country has anything like it. It's hospitals ranks TOPS in the country while all only being located less than a mile from eachother, and includes one of the best Medical schools in the country.

UH is ranked as the second most diverse school in the country according US news and World Report; Also a large amount of those students being from Houston speaks out about the amazing amount of diversity in this city.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 PM

199 posts, read 220,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

You can't speak on the TMC without acknowledging it's importance and prominence. No other city in the country has anything like it. It's hospitals ranks TOPS in the country while all only being located less than a mile from eachother, and includes one of the best Medical schools in the country.

UH is ranked as the second most diverse school in the country according US news and World Report; Also a large amount of those students being from Houston speaks out about the amazing amount of diversity in this city.
hahaha ive heard this "hospitals" claim before
that's why:
America's Best Hospitals: the 2009–10 Honor Roll - US News and World Report

and about the "most diverse" schools
Top 10 Most Diverse Schools - MSN Encarta

Old 08-21-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
hahaha ive heard this "hospitals" claim before
that's why:
America's Best Hospitals: the 2009–10 Honor Roll - US News and World Report

and about the "most diverse" schools
Top 10 Most Diverse Schools - MSN Encarta

You'll have to just believe me on the Best hospitals and look it up yourself; no need to exaggerate that.

I'll give you a a few though: Look up Methodist Hospital, Memorial Hermann, and Texas Children's Hospital. These hospitals were ranked as some of the top in the country based on the same source you used.

I'll take this over MSN:
Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Old 08-21-2009, 10:50 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
Quote:

I'm not saying that those things mean nothing. The post that I quoted claimed that we were "ignoring facts like GDP", etc, etc. I am not denying that Houston is an important city. I was just commenting on the fact that the key factors that someone claimed we were ignoring actually fall in Boston and San Francisco's favor.

Texas Medical Center is great...however Longwood and the West End of Boston are better. You may have one of the premier Medical schools in the country, but we have the best Med school on the planet.

This isn't to discredit Houston's achievements. My argument isn't one that says "you suck, we rule". Houston has amazing medical facilities and med schools...however Boston's are arguably the best in the world.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that those things mean nothing. The post that I quoted claimed that we were "ignoring facts like GDP", etc, etc. I am not denying that Houston is an important city. I was just commenting on the fact that the key factors that someone claimed we were ignoring actually fall in Boston and San Francisco's favor.

Texas Medical Center is great...however Longwood and the West End of Boston are better. You may have one of the premier Medical schools in the country, but we have the best Med school on the planet.

This isn't to discredit Houston's achievements. My argument isn't one that says "you suck, we rule". Houston has amazing medical facilities and med schools...however Boston's are arguably the best in the world.
Houston's are arguably the best in the world. Our hospitals aren't just recognized by the US, but the world. It attracts over 5 million annual patient visits, and over 10,000 are international patients. Also performs the most heart surgeries in the WORLD. Houston is referred as the "City of Medicine" in South America.

Baylor School of Medicine is not just some ok school; it's a very big deal.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:59 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Number Five is SF because Houston is number 4 and DC wouldn't be considered a business center; you only go there to beg your sugar daddy for money (bailouts for various industries: banking...).

Old 08-21-2009, 11:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,122,688 times
Quote:

GDP rankings depend on what you are measuring, when looking at MSA, SF> HOU> BOS but measuring CSA, SF>BOS> HOU. Boston has the distinct advantage of being in a very populated region, in fact the whole Boston- CD corridor is one huge megalopolis with arbitrary boundaries that define things such as a metro's GDP.

Boston does have some fantastic medical facilities, no doubt but I don't know if it can compare to the TMC. TMC is made up of individual institutions that you would have to know by name in order to find their rankings. MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston has been top 5 in cancer for decades, currently it is number one. I will say that Boston does get the upper hand in medical research but I would wager Houston gets the upper hand in care and treatment. TMC is truly amazing, it is poised to be the 7th largest employment center in the nation in square ft.

I just don't think BOS is as globally important as Houston. Houston just doesn't have energy but is a global trade powerhouse in America with it's port and manufacturing output. However, thinking about it more SF/SJ are probably more important than Houston. BUT SF/SJ do have the unfair advantage of having two prominent cities in the metro, if it was just one or the other than the discussion would be about BOS vs HOU.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:10 AM

199 posts, read 220,354 times
Quote:
You'll have to just believe me on the Best hospitals and look it up yourself; no need to exaggerate that.

I'll give you a a few though: Look up Methodist Hospital, Memorial Hermann, and Texas Children's Hospital. These hospitals were ranked as some of the top in the country based on the same source you used.

I'll take this over MSN:
Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report
oh ok i'll just "take your word for it" ..... i just showed u concrete proof that there are many hospitals in the country ranked higher.. and only 1 hospital from houston cracked the top 20, and it was ranked at 20. nowhere near the top
and if you had bothered to actually click the MSN link i provided, you would've seen this right at the header:
Top 10 Most Diverse Schools
Article provided by The Princeton Review

lastly, a school's "diversity index" means what exactly? other than the fact that there are many kids from different ethnic backgrounds attending.. it says nothing about the school academically or about the quality of education there. nothin to brag about

Old 08-22-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
oh ok i'll just "take your word for it" ..... i just showed u concrete proof that there are many hospitals in the country ranked higher.. and only 1 hospital from houston cracked the top 20, and it was ranked at 20. nowhere near the top
and if you had bothered to actually click the MSN link i provided, you would've seen this right at the header:
Top 10 Most Diverse Schools
Article provided by The Princeton Review

lastly, a school's "diversity index" means what exactly? other than the fact that there are many kids from different ethnic backgrounds attending.. it says nothing about the school academically or about the quality of education there. nothin to brag about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Okay, since it keeps being brought up... Houston does have quality in addition to quantity.

Top American Hospitals - US News Best Hospitals

Hospital rankings by specialty:
Cancer: #1 M.D. Anderson
Ear Nose & Throat: #4 M.D. Anderson
Gastrointestinal: #17 Methodist
Gynecology: #16 M.D. Anderson
Heart: #7 Texas Heart Inst./St. Luke's
Neuro: #12 Methodist
Ophthalmology: #14 Cullen/Methodist
Psychiatry: #6 Menninger, #17 Methodist
Rehabilitation: #4 Memorial Hermann
Urology: #9 M.D. Anderson, #11 Methodist
General pediatrics: #6 Texas Children's
Neonatal: #8 Texas Children's
There you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City