Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fith most important in the nation?
San Francisco 59 43.07%
Houston 32 23.36%
Boston 46 33.58%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:07 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,822,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Wait, OP didn't list the top 4?

Anyway, this is my top 5 great American cities.

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Chicago
4. Houston
5. San Francisco
I'd swap SF for Houston, but otherwise I agree with the list, that is if the list were about most influential U.S. cities. If we're just talking about "great" American cities or whatever subjective bs that may entail, then the list may be a lot different. In an extremely subjective case, I could see a lot of cities higher than Houston like DC, Seattle, Boston, Philly, Miami, Atlanta, etc. Houston is basically important because money talks, and we've got a whole lot of oil money down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,353,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You're a hater. Houston places above DC in population, GDP, ethnic diversity, and international business trade.

DC is above all in international politics but that's the only thing it has above Houston.
Nope I'm not a hater. I'm just stating facts, it's hilarious that you've actually convinced yourself that Houston is above SF and DC when it comes to Americas top five cities. This isn't even subjective but Americas most important cities has always been NYC, LA, SF, DC and Chicago. These are the alpha world class cities in America and the other important ones are Boston and Philadelphia of course which Houston doesn't place infront of either. Your post is delusional and on top of that they come out with a list every year and Houston has never been placed infront of DC and SF. In the real world it doesn't make sense but it makes sense to you which is fine if that helps you sleep at night. And DC crushes Houston in many aspects for example..... Transportation.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:54 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Lmao Houston doesn't place over DC in anything...... Maybe in a alternate universe. DC is alpha world class and Houston is a crusty sprawling toe compared to it.
I wouldn't put Houston above DC either but you did go to far with that though. Maybe it's on dislike or something.

Quote:
Houston MSA = 10,000 sqmi, >6M pop
Boston CSA = 10,000 sq mi >8M pop
Much of Houston's MSA is swampland. In fact, half of Harris County is uninhabitable.

Quote:
No its not and you can Google for answers as easily as I can
Houston is indeed accepted as a major global city.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:58 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,039,653 times
Wow a lot of Houston hate. Anyway San Francisco is the number 5 city. But Houston is coming along as well.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:00 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,039,653 times
Quote:
Nope I'm not a hater. I'm just stating facts, it's hilarious that you've actually convinced yourself that Houston is above SF and DC when it comes to Americas top five cities. This isn't even subjective but Americas most important cities has always been NYC, LA, SF, DC and Chicago. These are the alpha world class cities in America and the other important ones are Boston and Philadelphia of course which Houston doesn't place infront of either. Your post is delusional and on top of that they come out with a list every year and Houston has never been placed infront of DC and SF. In the real world it doesn't make sense but it makes sense to you which is fine if that helps you sleep at night. And DC crushes Houston in many aspects for example..... Transportation.
DC is lovely but it's all a matter of opinion if it's better than Houston. I like Houston better. Houston is more laid back and being from the south that's important to me.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
DC is lovely but it's all a matter of opinion if it's better than Houston. I like Houston better. Houston is more laid back and being from the south that's important to me.
I'm not talking about which one is better. I'm talking about world class and which one is more important. Any city being better than any city is subjective. Although I'm talking about the top 5 most influential and important cities in the US which has always been NYC, LA, SF, DC and Chicago. Houston doesn't match these cities and has never been brought up in the equation. Also it's not even an alpha world class city yet.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:42 PM

People seem to forget what the OP originally asked. The OP said:

Which is the fourth most important city in the US based on its cultural and economical contribution to the nation?
Please vote....

Not which of these cities are better and which one better fits your needs. Being a world class city has nothing to do with being laid back.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:05 PM

66 posts, read 71,445 times
OP from Boston lists Boston as if its a real choice. I chuckled.

Fourth most important city in the US?

NYC
LA
DC
Chicago
SF

Is pretty good for top 5, so its safe to say that its probably SF.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:19 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
The only thing important about DC is politics. Houston's economy is bigger than DC's. (Houston's GMP: $517 Billion. DC: $463 Billion). Houston has more international trade and more Fortune 500 companies. In no aspect is DC over Houston except for political importance. That's the only one

DC crushes Houston in Public transportation but that has nothing to do with a globally important city. DC also crushes LA in public transport, but LA is also more important than DC

Old 11-12-2015, 02:21 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
People seem to forget what the OP originally asked. The OP said:

Which is the fourth most important city in the US based on its cultural and economical contribution to the nation?
Please vote....

Not which of these cities are better and which one better fits your needs. Being a world class city has nothing to do with being laid back.
Well in both economic and cultural terms, Houston is over DC. Houston as a bigger economy and is more culturally diverse than DC, so in both standpoints Houston tops DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City