Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the fith most important in the nation?
San Francisco 59 43.07%
Houston 32 23.36%
Boston 46 33.58%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:09 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,223,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD28194 View Post
Cost of Living is high. This is true because it is a more desirable place to live!
Bostons cost of living being higher probably has more to do with location(coastal) where Philly + Atlanta are landlocked. Tons of available lush landscape surrounding Philly/Atlanta. Lots of room to grow, lots of real estate, real estate costs stay at a minimum.

Is Boston more desirable than Philadelphia? i dont know about that. You can buy a new house in beautiful Valley Forge for probably 1/2 the price of a similar house in Boston. Personally I dont see where Boston is any more desirable than living in the nicer neighbrhoods of Philly/Valley Forge. Most people in Philly area can get to the beach in less than 90 minutes. Day trips to the beach are the norm in metro Philly.

There are no eastern suburbs in Boston/NYC .There are no western suburbs in SF/LA/SD/Sea. Thats the main reason C.O.L. is higher in the big coastal cities. Lack of space. If you want to pawn that off as a good thing then thats your perogative I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 12:26 PM

135 posts, read 175,503 times
Quote:
No way that Boston is behind Houston.
Boston and San Francisco should be on the same level.
Boston is way ahead of Philly, Atlanta, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Houston has a higher GDP and more fortune 500 companies than Boston. Houston is also the energy capital of the world. Houston is bigger and its population growth is greater than that of Boston's.

On the other hand, Boston is the educational capital of the U.S. Its a financial center and is huge in Biotech. Has world class hospitals, universities, and museums.

Those two are number six and seven in the US but are still on a tier with the other cities I listed with them. Just my subjective opinion.

As for San Francisco it seems closer to Chicago and DC than it is to Boston, depending on which numbers you use.

In what world is Boston way ahead of Philadelphia? Philadelphia has the bigger GDP and population. It has world class museums (better museums IMO) and universities (UPenn and Princeton isn't far) and hospitals right next to Boston (Harvard, MIT). Philly is number two in biotech, and arguably number two in the medical field, number one in pharmaceuticals, arguably number two in education (although Chicago, NYC and SF all have a stake there), etc. Its number one in history ahead of Boston, as well as food being top 5 in the country. In fact, I would put Philadelphia being one of the top food cities in the world.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Cost of Living is high. This is true because it is a more desirable place to live!

More people live in Philadelphia, so I guess that means more people want to live there.

See how this works?

Philadelphia is not a coastal location, so land isn't at a premium the way other coastal cities are.

Boston is the most overpriced city in the country for what you get amenities wise. The food and nightlife don't warrant those kinds of prices. The hospitals and education do, that's about it. Way too small and way too cold for a city to cost that much.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,819,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
In what world is Boston way ahead of Philadelphia? Philadelphia has the bigger GDP and population.
Not by much:
Top 25 largest metropolitan GDP (in billions)

1. New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA - 1379.7
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA - 792.4
3. Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI - 585.9
4. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX - 463.7
5. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV - 455.8
6. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX - 436.4
7. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA - 377.2
8. Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD - 373.9
9. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH - 346.4

10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA - 304.9
11. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL - 283.4
12. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA - 268.5
13. Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI - 228.0
14. Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI - 211.0
15. Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ - 210.1
16. San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA - 182.6
17. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA - 181.2
18. Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO - 173.3
19. Baltimore-Towson, MD - 162.1
20. Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA - 152.6
21. St. Louis, MO-IL - 141.8
22. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC - 130.5
23. Pittsburgh, PA - 126.5
24. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL - 125.5
25. Kansas City, MO-KS - 116.6

Old 08-23-2015, 01:50 PM

3,871 posts, read 5,297,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
In what world is Boston way ahead of Philadelphia? Philadelphia has the bigger GDP and population. It has world class museums (better museums IMO) and universities (UPenn and Princeton isn't far) and hospitals right next to Boston (Harvard, MIT). Philly is number two in biotech, and arguably number two in the medical field, number one in pharmaceuticals, arguably number two in education (although Chicago, NYC and SF all have a stake there), etc. Its number one in history ahead of Boston, as well as food being top 5 in the country. In fact, I would put Philadelphia being one of the top food cities in the world.
Aww, Misterfart is getting emotional again.

I feel bad for you mate, let it out.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:53 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,568,859 times
hmm.. kind of surprised Houston isn't higher.

Oil and Gas capital of the world
Largest medical district in the world
26 fortune 500 companies
The 3rd most foreign consulates in any US city
2nd largest petrochemical complex in the world
Most international tonnage shipped
and a few other reasons that I've seen other people use for their city as "logic" even though i don't see what they have to do with the OPs inquiry..
The best museums in the south
The theater district is one of the biggest in the country
One of only five cities with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines
Arguably the best food city in the country
Lower cost of living

Old 08-23-2015, 02:19 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,819,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
hmm.. kind of surprised Houston isn't higher.

Oil and Gas capital of the world
Largest medical district in the world
26 fortune 500 companies
The 3rd most foreign consulates in any US city
2nd largest petrochemical complex in the world
Most international tonnage shipped
and a few other reasons that I've seen other people use for their city as "logic" even though i don't see what they have to do with the OPs inquiry..
The best museums in the south
The theater district is one of the biggest in the country
One of only five cities with permanent professional resident companies in all of the major performing arts disciplines
Arguably the best food city in the country
Lower cost of living

The bay area and Boston can make similar claims:
Tech capital
Education capital
The Bay has more F 500 companies than Houston (although by MSA Houston has more).
The Bay has more consulates , but Houston had more than San Francisco.

So there are valid arguments that can be made for all three

Old 08-23-2015, 03:15 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
San Francisco Bay Area would be the most important of the three.

I know some like to say "but we're only talking about city limits", but that's ridiculous. You can't isolate a city from the region when speaking of importance.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:29 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,568,859 times
i feel that. the Bay Area is definitely as "important" as Houston (tough call which is more important..), but Boston? seems kind of random for vying for the top 5.. is Boston really more "important"/significant/whatever than, say, Philly?

Old 08-23-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i feel that. the Bay Area is definitely as "important" as Houston (tough call which is more important..), but Boston? seems kind of random for vying for the top 5.. is Boston really more "important"/significant/whatever than, say, Philly?
Probably the two most equal/debated cities on here in ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City