Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,502,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I liked the area for many reasons, but when I lived in NYC and in the Westchester NY vicinity there was something that I definitely don't miss. I had two stick shift automobiles, and at any light or stopsign, before I could get into gear and accelerate after a stop I'd be honked at as though I was too slow! I'm serious, my wife and I couldn't believe it, but it happened without fail. Talk about impatience!
lmao

That happens to us all the time. We get honked at even when the light's red.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:14 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,476,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I've found rude and friendly people everywhere I've been across the country. If you give off positive vibes and are friendly, usually people are friendly in return.
Or pretend to be and then laugh at you behind your back;
Ever been to Philly?

Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,523 times
Default The Rude Shoppers

The only place I ever encountered flat-out RUDE people is at the Jackson Outlets in Jackson NJ. There is one particular Ultra Religious Group that live in the nearby town of Lakewood. They frequently shop at the Outlets. You know who they are....???

They have been rude to me. Sniff sniff. .boo hoo. Oh who am I kidding. I couldn't give a rats- behind if they all went away tomorrow. LOL !!!

But as for your Coyote B. - OMG How are you surviving in that fishbowl of a town????? No wonder you're on CD so much !!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:39 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,309 times
Survival in the area that time forgot:

*Smack my hubby for moving us here.
Shop with my eyes closed.
Do not eat out at local places.
Surround myself with photos and objects from THIS century.
Never listen to any music containing the word country or has a banjo in it.
Never watch the movie Deliverance.
Never venture out after dark especially near cornfields. They will come out and eat you.
*Smack my hubby for ever moving us here.
Put bids in with UPS to move and check status daily.
Make sure none of us begin using words like 'tarnation,wus,thar and yaknow'dwutIdone.'

Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,174,075 times
I was born and raised in Jacksonville Fl and I always thought people there were rude!.... and then I moved to Palm Coast FL... WOW! Its like everyone here thinks they are above you when they have NO reason to feel or act that way!.. There is nothing specail in this "city" infact there is nothing really here atall! haha... I cant wait to get out of here!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:57 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,779,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Or pretend to be and then laugh at you behind your back;
Ever been to Philly?
I grew up right outside Philly. People in metropolitan areas or densely populated areas are not going to be as friendly as a small town. They have their guard up and it's more likely one may encounter someone rude because there's a lot more people. Then it's a cycle, they put that person in a bad mood and are now grouchy or rude to the next. We can choose to let us bother us or not....I choose not to let it bother me. Helps make me a happier person.

Also, if someone is laughing behind my back I could care less, that's their time their wasting. I never even think about stuff like that anyway.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:43 PM

673 posts, read 4,070,530 times
Pitbull, thats the way I feel about Lincoln, Nebraska..

The people of Lincoln have these deeply ingrained superiority complex about them like this town is so cosmopolitan when in reality its a very bland, boring and fairly depressed place.

I havent met a person from Lincoln who wasnt very, very arrogant and didnt think they were superior to me.

I have been here in Lincoln 8 months its so strange even the people who live here in shacks, driving rusted out cars from the 80s are snooty around here.

Last edited by MattDen; 04-27-2007 at 07:55 PM..

Old 04-28-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I grew up right outside Philly. People in metropolitan areas or densely populated areas are not going to be as friendly as a small town. They have their guard up and it's more likely one may encounter someone rude because there's a lot more people. Then it's a cycle, they put that person in a bad mood and are now grouchy or rude to the next. We can choose to let us bother us or not....I choose not to let it bother me. Helps make me a happier person.
Also, if someone is laughing behind my back I could care less, that's their time their wasting. I never even think about stuff like that anyway.
Well I grew up in the country and we may be more sensitive as human beings,or at least I am, and can pick up on vibes in an area and from what I'm getting where I live is alot of anger. It's not something I can just choose to shut out when it's all around me,from a person walking past me to the people at the local deli.
And why would a person choose to be treated more as a 'number' than a name in a city?
As far as not caring if someone is laughing behind my back,that's also something I can pick up on due to the way they act towards me,whether they're being genuine or not.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:52 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Years ago, when I was young, and thought I was the expert on everything, I also thought the worst of a city or vicinity based soley on how a few people acted. Now in my "wise old age" I have found that most people really just need a hug or a smile. The sales person who is a little rude may have just gotten a call from the sitter that the baby is sick..The woman holding up the checkout line up digging through her purse may be embarrassed and trying to find extra change she knows she doesn't have, before she starts weeding out the things she MAY be able to do without. That loud showoff in the restaurant may have just gotten the promotion of his life. Thing is if we look at our selves we could also be giving out impressions that are not the real us. There is never a greater reward than the feeling you will get from giving a little "random act of kindness" which can be just a smile, a little change, an understanding look, giving up your place at the checkout counter. You know most of us are basically the same

Old 04-28-2007, 11:07 AM

No,you see the people where I live have bad attitudes and are proud of them!
They're not just having a bad moment,they're like that all the time!
If you tried giving them a hug I'm not sure whether they'd laugh at you first or punch you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City