Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Kansas City
Milwaukee 96 49.74%
Kansas City 100 51.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Milwaukee is over 5x denser than Kansas City.

Population density:

Kansas City, MO
1,436.6 people per square mile

Milwaukee, WI
6,296.3 people per square mile

what does this prove?

Milwaukee has twice as many Latinos and twice as many Asians as Kansas City.

Demographics:

Kansas City, MO
54.68% White
31.23% Black or African American
0.48% Native American
1.85% Asian
0.11% Pacific Islander
3.21% other races
2.44% two or more races.
6.93% Hispanic or Latino of any race

Milwaukee, WI
43.6% White
39.5% Black or African American
0.8% Native American
3.6% Asian
0.05% Pacific Islander
7.3% Other race
2.1% Two or more races
14.9% Hispanic or Latino of any race

All that means is that Kansas City is big in the trucking industry. Big whoop, so is nearly every city along I-70 and I-80. What do you suppose those trucks are transporting anyway? Could it possibly be agricultural products from the surrounding region?

Kansas City, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also from Wikipedia:
"Numerous agriculture companies operate out of the city . Dairy Farmers of America, the largest Dairy Co-op in the United States is located here. Kansas City Board of Trade is the principal trading Exchange for hard red winter wheat — the principal ingredient of bread."
but I thought wisc. was americas dairyland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
All of your comments have nothing to do with most of what I said.

One incident happened so crime is all of a sudden terrible? Please. Milwaukee is an extremely safe city. The little bit of crime that does happen is secluded to certain areas. If you think Milwaukee crime is bad, then you really shouldn't live in any big city.

Your Harley comment has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. I just brought up that someone was writing an article about a MUSEUM(NOT A COMPANY). He loved the city so much that he wrote the article about Milwaukee instead. And Harley is laying off workers like EVERY other company during this recession?!?! No way!!!

So if you think concerts are overrated then don't go. Obviously other people like them. I never even mentioned Summerfest though so I don't know where you got that from. Summerfest is only about a week and a half anyway. There are plenty of ethnic and church festivals all summer. There are activities everywhere during the summer.

KC is not the number one hub for Midwest. I worked for Midwest at one point as a side job until I became a DC fireman full time. KC will never be the number one hub.

You obviously don't know much about what you're saying and just happen to hate Milwaukee for some reason. It's also obvious that you live somewhere in WI since your name is badger. No need to come on here and trash Milwaukee, especially because that's all your doing. You're not even saying good stuff about KC. Get over yourself man.

I live in the nation's capital and have the best job in world. I wouldn't give up fighting fire in DC for anything, but there are plenty of times that I really miss living in Milwaukee. I didn't appreciate it too much until my last few years there, but it really changed into an amazing city.
funny I used to work for midwest too so I think I know what I'm talking about.
so a newspaper writer suddenly likes MKE, it speaks to the inferiority complex that so many of you have that you think it's so great that a random NP writer suddenly likes your city so your self esteem is higher, really.

the Harley comments are right on, they've shed the jobs I've stated and aren't not 100% american, but everyone is so proud of them for being from MKE, that's why there's a HD deck at Miller Park, because nobody likes HD? come on now.

you've yet to deal with the taxes or other points, but I guess they don't have anything to do with what you said? right?

It's obvious that you're a typical wisconsinite and milwaukeean, proud to a fault of your area but insular enough not to know it isn't what it's made out to be

Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You were interepreting my post literally. Milwaukee is right near Lake Michigan. Manistique, MI is at the top of lake michigan.
then why didn't you say that?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The area around Delafield and Oconomowoc in Waukesha County is known as "Lake Country." Anyone who has actually spent any amount of time in Milwaukee would know this. "On top of lake Michigan" isn't the same as "at the top of Lake Michigan," I don't know how you could have possibly interpreted it that way.

so you look at a map of the US sideways? I don't do that.

I live a few blocks away from Bradford Beach and it hasn't been shut down once this entire summer. None of the beaches in the city have been shut down due to sewage or any other reason. You clearly have a lot of personal issues that need to be worked out away from the C-D Forum.
Human sewage is flowing out of municipal storm sewers and into local waterways and Lake Michigan on rainy days without sanitary sewer overflows to blame for the load, and even during periods of dry weather, a three-year study has concluded.
And the contamination cannot be pinned on raccoons or other animals living in the storm sewers. Genetic testing ruled them out
Storm sewers oozing human fecal bacteria to beaches, rivers, study finds - JSOnline

From 2006 through 2008, the WATER Institute tested 1,100 samples of water collected at 62 storm-sewer discharge pipes and culverts within the MMSD service area, primarily inside Milwaukee County.
Chronic fecal pollution, with half or more of samples contaminated, was uncovered at 44, or nearly 71%, of those sites.

Feces Leaking into Waterways Human Bacteria Found at Rivers, Beaches in Milwaukee Area-- Page:1

people like Linda Burger say. "I stopped coming here for about 10 years because it was pretty stinky," she said.

The genetic marker for a human fecal bacteria was found in 19 of 20, or 95%,

Pipe leak sending sewage into creek - JSOnline

Milwaukee's Bradford Beach remained closed Friday for the second day in a row because of a heavy concentration of green algae in the water and lining the shore.
Friday marked the fifth time this season that Bradford Beach had been closed. Other Milwaukee area beaches were open.

The Political Environment: Spring Rains Mean More Bradford Beach Closings

http://www.glwi.uwm.edu/research/gen...ch01_04_05.pdf

It’s been 15 years since 400,000 people in Milwaukee got sick and more than 100 died because of contaminated drinking water. The episode remains the largest outbreak of waterborne disease in U.S. history.

WUWM: News - The Legacy of Milwaukee's Crypto Outbreak 15 Years Ago

Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
You obviously don't know much about what you're saying and just happen to hate Milwaukee for some reason.
wheel tax...

Milwaukee wheel tax proposal wins support - JSOnline

10 Milwaukee aldermen favor $20 wheel tax - JSOnline

they even charge it to non-residents.

City of Milwaukee Wheel Tax Being Wrongly Charged to Non-City Residents | Milwaukee Consumer

more....

Governing Magazine on Milwaukee "wheel tax"

Milwaukee may be the only city in America where citizens groan when they hear that their streets will be repaved or repaired. That's because if you live adjacent to a torn-up street or alley, you--not he city taxpayers as a whole--have to pay for the repair work. Sometimes that can mean a special assessment of $3,500 for a single household. Residents regularly lobby aldermen to call off construction crews. As a result, Milwaukee is a pockmarked city, particularly after an especially harsh winter................... Milwaukee's aldermen decided it would be a huge improvement over the current system. At $20 per year, the average homeowner would have to live past the age of 175 to reach $3,500 in repair expenses.

HD

Harley Davidson goes hog wild with job cuts

and in 2009 even more:

H-D announces further job cuts

the mayor

Barrett lost teeth in battle with suspect - JSOnline

Old 08-22-2009, 01:15 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,930 times
Badger - I find your critique of Milwaukee to be over the top. Your coming across as nit picking. I could pick any city in America and rip it to shreds if I
scrutinize every problem a city has. Bringing up points such as wheel tax and some water problems in Lake Michigan isn't going to cut it in a city vs city discussion. If nothing else make a better case for Kansas City. It seems to me that you have axe to grind with Milwaukee more than anything else. Maybe you and UrbanCharlotte can post a new thread, titled "Why I can't stand Milwaukee."

Old 08-22-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Badger - I find your critique of Milwaukee to be over the top. Your coming across as nit picking. I could pick any city in America and rip it to shreds if I
scrutinize every problem a city has. Bringing up points such as wheel tax and some water problems in Lake Michigan isn't going to cut it in a city vs city discussion. If nothing else make a better case for Kansas City. It seems to me that you have axe to grind with Milwaukee more than anything else. Maybe you and UrbanCharlotte can post a new thread, titled "Why I can't stand Milwaukee."
you're from MKE too!!!! imagine that!!!!

I was told I didin't know what I was talking about so I proved I my points. MKE is heading in the wrong direction, taxes up, new fees, can't even plough their side streets, county worker pension scandel, a manufacturing base that they refuse to change like others cities (Pittsburgh just one example) a hometown airline sold with way fewer direct routes and many flights now flying to MPLS first because NW owns part of them. Life in MKE has gotten much worse over the last 10 years. the very way everybody from there defends MKE so strongly is the very reason why it's like that and probably will never change: looking at MKE with MKE colored glasses.

the way everybody has jumped on me proves how provincial and insular MKE is.

you are like so many, if somebody says something negative about MKE it's the poster that gets blamed, it's ''over the top" , well alot of people in MKE think the costs, fees are "over the top".

All these things make life in MKE very difficult and it's relevant to the quality of life versus KC.

I feel sorry for the people who go to the MKE forum and want serious advice about the city and all they get are homers.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:34 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,323,321 times
Kansas City .

Old 08-22-2009, 01:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,002,930 times
Badger - All cities have problems, including Kansas City. I'm sure K.C. is a fine town, but if I wanted to google K.C. and discover all their problems I could spend all afternoon ripping it apart. This can be said of anywhere. You act as if Milwaukee is the only place which has problems. Yes, I'm from Milwaukee, so there is some hometown bias, but your so far over the top it isn't even funny. I'm not buy your argument at all. Try building up K.C. instead of tearing down Milwaukee. You would have a better case.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
Badger - All cities have problems, including Kansas City. I'm sure K.C. is a fine town, but if I wanted to google K.C. and discover all their problems I could spend all afternoon ripping it apart. This can be said of anywhere. You act as if Milwaukee is the only place which has problems. Yes, I'm from Milwaukee, so there is some hometown bias, but your so far over the top it isn't even funny. I'm not buy your argument at all. Try building up K.C. instead of tearing down Milwaukee. You would have a better case.
all cities do have problems but MKE has more, far more, than KC and that's what this thread is about. If you'd like to start a thread about % of problems other cities have compared to MKE go ahead.

and it was sure nice on page 4 to be told this:

""You clearly have a lot of personal issues that need to be worked out away from the C-D Forum.""

and that poster is practicing Phy. where?

like I said, people in MKE are very insular and don't want to hear a bit of bad news and will blame the msgr. Happens all the time on the MKE specific forum. I did directly compare the 2 cities and MKE is much worse.

it's also one of the most segregated cities in america, has one of the highest black teen birth rates and unemployment for black males. There are clearly more things wrong with it than KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City