Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee vs Kansas City
Milwaukee 96 49.74%
Kansas City 100 51.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times

Advertisements

Milwaukee: Beer, Brats and Baseball, 605,000 city pop. 2.1 metro

Biggest con: weather

Kansas City: Music and BBQ, 475,000 2.1 metro

Biggest Con: Crime.

Milwaukee Lower East Side.

Downtown KC.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/92/Kcsky.jpg/800px-Kcsky.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:25 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
I think KC doesn't get a lot of National love and doesn't toot its own horn enough.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 AM

37 posts, read 87,634 times
KC

seems less hokey

Old 08-21-2009, 10:32 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Kansas City, hands down.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:30 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSwagger View Post
KC

seems less hokey
How is less Kansas City less "hokey" than Milwaukee? KC is located in the sparsely populated Lower Midwest/Great Plains region and has an economy largely based on agriculture/food processing. Milwaukee is located in the industrialized Upper Midwest/Rust Belt region and has always been a major manufacturing center, with little to no involvement in the area of agriculture. Milwaukee is also far more urban (densely populated) and diverse than KC, so I'm not too sure what you mean.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:59 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Milwaukee- I like the east side, Ozaukee County, and Waukesha lake country. Another advantage of Milwaukee is that it is close to Chicago and on top of Lake Michigan.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 PM

402 posts, read 853,222 times
Default Kc

I'd say Kansas City, although I was just there and I haven't been to Milwaukee since 2001. Kansas City has great barbeque (Arthur Bryant's) and has a lot of cool things like beautiful Union Station, a nice downtown, nice museams, etc. I'm not saying Milwaukee doesn't have that stuff, I just didn't make as good an impression. One drawback on Kansas City though is the airport. didn't like the airport at all. also they have a beautiful new arena downtown.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:45 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
How is less Kansas City less "hokey" than Milwaukee? KC is located in the sparsely populated Lower Midwest/Great Plains region and has an economy largely based on agriculture/food processing. Milwaukee is located in the industrialized Upper Midwest/Rust Belt region and has always been a major manufacturing center, with little to no involvement in the area of agriculture. Milwaukee is also far more urban (densely populated) and diverse than KC, so I'm not too sure what you mean.
I don't know what the person meant by "hokey" either.

That said, when you say far more urban, you are not taking into account KC annexed several large empty areas. The actual urban core of KC is verse dense, from the River Market, through downtown, midtown, plaza, hyde park, etc....

More diverse? Eh... they are both pretty much majority white and black cities, with smaller pockets of others, tho Milwaukee does have about twice as many Hispanics.

KC Economy largely based on agriculture? Historically with the stockyards you could say that.... it's # 3 behind Cleveland and Chicago in beef. But the basis for KC economy???

From City-Data:

Quote:
Both the geographic and population centers of the United States lie within 250 miles of Kansas City, making the metropolitan area a natural hub for intermodal transportation, warehousing, manufacturing, and distribution. The Kansas City area economy is a diverse one. The trade, transportation, and utilities category is the region's largest employer; government is second, followed by professional and business services, then educational and health services.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Kansas City Metropolitan Area houses many factories, manufacturing plants, an official international trade zone, and more foreign trade zone space than anywhere else in the nation
Maybe you can help me out and show me where the KC economy is based on agriculture?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:55 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Milwaukee.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:21 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
That said, when you say far more urban, you are not taking into account KC annexed several large empty areas. The actual urban core of KC is verse dense, from the River Market, through downtown, midtown, plaza, hyde park, etc....
Exactly!!! This is the case with SEVERAL cities that have "low densities" on paper. Besides, you don't have to waste your time explaining to us why Kansas City is superior. That much goes without saying.

Keep in mind, there are two types of urbanity. The kind people wish to live in and the kind people don't. Being that Milwaukee is losing its population (and has been doing so since the 1960s), guess which type of urbanity it has?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Hey jumboshrimp, what exactly are you basing this on, your hatred of all things Milwaukee?
Name calling now are we? Bless your little heart. I like Milwaukee. Really I do. However, your city is waaaaaaay past its prime. You know it; I know it. So let's just move on.

Like I said, there are two types of urbanity. Your city's is the kind people are leaving. New Urbanism cities are what folks of today seek. It is sad (because I prefer "Old Urbanism") but it is the truth. Milwaukee has progressed a little in the last 5 years, but the city still has lots of urban blight that needs attention.

I stand by my previous statement, Kansas City hands down.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-22-2009 at 03:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City