Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 AM

37 posts, read 87,590 times

Advertisements

California >Pennsylvania

Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You're doe-eyed. The CMSA's are hocus pocus self promotion.Some areas do it better than others, some regional political movements have more clout than others.

It absurd to try and tell me there is unquestioned integration between SJ -SF or bal-wash which are 50 miles apart , yet Philadelphia and Trenton 25 miles apart are apparent socio-isolated regions. You'd have to be a jackass to believe that nonsense. The CMSA is a farce.Trenton being part of NYC's metro is an absolute abomination and renders the cmsa status obsolete imo.

Stick with the msa's they have much more credibility.
If you lived in the Bay Area you would understand that it really is a metro that includes SF-SJ-OAK. Simple as that. SJ and Oakland sprawl into each other on the East Bay, while SF and SJ sprawl into each other on the West Bay (Peninsula). SJ was a bunch of farms just 30 years ago, a cheap place to buy a home and commute to SF, Daly City, San Mateo and other Peninsula cities. SJ is as big as it is because of SF. Now the South Bay dominates the Bay Area economy, but you got it twisted if you think that the South Bay is a different metro than the Bay Area.

Regards,
San Jose Native.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM

8 posts, read 9,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
That is uncalled for...noone has spoken that way about San Francisco.

Its the truth.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:31 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
San Francisco has gorgeous bay views and hilly terrain. The city has about 800,000 people and a metroploitan area of about 4.3 million.It's economy(GDP) ranks 15th in the world. It has Golden Gate Park and those stunning Bridges. It is our about our densest city with great weather and various ethnic groups. The skyline is pretty nice also. see... File:FinancialNorth.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ....and.... File:SF From Marin Highlands3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also San Francisco is more liberal and I could only find these pictures. Feel free to post better pictures.

Philadelphia has a river running through it and complete ocean access..it also is still a vital manufacturing center. The city has about 1,400,000 people and a metropolitan area around 5.8 million people. It's economy(GDP) ranks 9th in the world. It has many pocket parks downtown and Fairmount Park...one of the nation's largest.(city parks) It too is a dense city, but not as dense as San Francisco. I has a tolerable 4 season climate, which many people prefer. It too has many ethnic groups and a good skyline. The city's center is a great asset and is essentially a more manageable Manhattan; one can walk center city easily.

San Francisco has that "West" coast feel; while Philadelphia has a Northeast feel to it and the city is older and filled with history. To see Philadelphia check... Philadelphia Skyline at Night : Photo Detail :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia .... and... File:GardenStreetBridgeSchuylkillRiverSkylinePhila delphiaPennsylvania.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia These are the only pictures I could find...Feel free to post your own.

I love both cities and I grew up in Pennsylvania; so I am a bit biased. I would call it a draw but center city Philadelphia is wonderful; so, by a hair I vote for Philadelphia.
An open Question...Is everyone not a bit biased; when they either live in/near/or hold dear/born in, a certain city....All of us are to a degree...me included.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
I'm choosing SF. SF seems more urban and I love the trolleys and hills thats in the Bay area.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
i chose Philly, i like SF too though. but i'm more of an east coast guy

Quote:
California >Pennsylvania
i def agree with this

Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i chose Philly, i like SF too though. but i'm more of an east coast guy

i def agree with this
Thanx, I know what you mean; the people seem different.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:03 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Thanx, I know what you mean; the people seem different.
i like the northeast states as a whole. PA is ok, but it seems too polarized between the 2 big cities vs the rest of the state.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 PM

49 posts, read 157,481 times
Can someone explain why anyone should consider CMSAs relevant?

Philadelphia's metro and NYC's metro literally border each other. Philadelphia city limits are only about 12 miles from Trenton. In addition, Philadelphia city limits are about 40 miles from NYC limits. Though these two metros literally blend together, I'm not trying to make some lame claim of importance because of how massive an urban population these metros have when combined.

The Poconos in Pennsylvania are about 60 miles from NYC limits, yet it is included in the NYC CMSA even with large rural areas in between the two regions. This example shows that CMSAs include far outlying communities that have nothing in common with the major city itself. I don't really see the relevance in talking about commuting patterns when discussing which city is better or more interesting, larger etc. - And commuting patterns are what largely define CMSAs.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxrasputin View Post
Can someone explain why anyone should consider CMSAs relevant?

Philadelphia's metro and NYC's metro literally border each other. Philadelphia city limits are only about 12 miles from Trenton. In addition, Philadelphia city limits are about 40 miles from NYC limits. Though these two metros literally blend together, I'm not trying to make some lame claim of importance because of how massive an urban population these metros have when combined.

The Poconos in Pennsylvania are about 60 miles from NYC limits, yet it is included in the NYC CMSA even with large rural areas in between the two regions. This example shows that CMSAs include far outlying communities that have nothing in common with the major city itself. I don't really see the relevance in talking about commuting patterns when discussing which city is better or more interesting, larger etc. - And commuting patterns are what largely define CMSAs.
Metros cover entire counties, and don't nitpick by individual towns or cities. Far outlying communities have little to do with this...as long as one MSA as a whole sends 15% of it's workers to a CSA, then it would be included in the CSA. As far as the relevance of commuting patterns....how is it not relevant? It's an integral part to the discussion of how big a city is (we all know city proper populations are pretty useless...and what remains, MSAs and CSAs, are based on commuting).

Last edited by rah; 08-25-2009 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City