Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the Fastest Paced Cities (After New York)??
Los Angeles 34 12.45%
Chicago 67 24.54%
Washington D.C. 60 21.98%
Boston 24 8.79%
San Francisco 17 6.23%
Philadelphia 35 12.82%
Atlanta 12 4.40%
Miami 7 2.56%
Houston 3 1.10%
Las Vegas 14 5.13%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:57 PM

223 posts, read 829,252 times

Advertisements

There is nothing like New York when it comes to a fasted paced city!!!!!! (and alot of other things)

I would rather name a area than a city is this discussion.

The entire area of North Jersey is the most fast paced area besides New York City and its right outside of New York City the most fast paced city in the U.S.: Patterson(a little bit more northwest but in the area), Jersey City, Bayonne, Newark, Elizabeth, Irvington, East Orange, Union City, Hoboken etc... This area is right outside of New York City in North Jersey, and its so close to New York City. You can see N.Y.C. pefectly right over the river. I lived in Queens, N.Y.C. and now live in New Jersey. North Jersey reminds me of a extension of New York City. Very Similar and everthing is geard toward New York. North Jersey is the closest thing to New York City. The entire area is one big City like New York. Very fast paced, have you ever driven on the New Jersey Turnpike, or the Garden State Parkway in North Jersey? Both going into New York City traffic is horrible. New Jersey Transit goes right into Penn Station in Manhattan from Newark. All most all of North Jersey is connected right to New York City. Millions of people are trying to rush into New York City from North Jersey for work, and their is alot of people from New York City trying to come down into North Jersey. The morning rush is crazy in this area its go go go all the time in North Jersey and New York City!!!!!

If we are just talking cities after New York its Chicago ( similar to New York City) or Los Angeles.

Wahsington D.C. and Boston is pretty fast paced, but I have been to Philly alot and it is fast paced like all NorthEast cities, but out of New York, Boston, Washington D.C. I think philly was the most laid back on the East Coast, people were alot more nicer in philly than New York and there wasn't a big rush to get to somewhere like in New York, Boston, or Washington D.C. Center City philly is no Manhattan. In New York especially in Manhattan you feel the energy of the city everbody is on the move getting to where they have to be. I felt nothing like that in philly in center city, but in boston and D.C. I got that feeling but on a lower level than New York!!!!

I still say the entire area of North Jersey is the most fast paced 2nd only(again North Jersey is right outside of N.Y.C.) to New York City with Chicago and Los Angeles trailing behing!!!!!!

I know North Jersey is considered the NYC metro area, however go ask a New Yorker and they will clearly tell you Jersey is no part of New York City!!!!!

Last edited by lugger; 09-01-2009 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 06:15 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
For the DC haters!

Second busiest subway system after NYC (almost 900,000 riders)
3rd largest CBD after NYC & Chicago
Second worse traffic after LA (rush hour starts at 5am and ends at 10am)
DT daytime population swells by 400,000

In half of these cities, people don't even jaywalk! Fast paced = the rush of a city. BillyJac, Next time you are in DC, stand to the left on a subway escalator and see what happens!
Yeah I'm a DC hater since I lived and grew up there That's a bright comment.

It's still not fast paced to me. I don't care how much you are going to try and change my opinion. It's funny too.. because you associate me thinking it's not paced as being a hater.. Grow up

Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM

330 posts, read 878,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Yeah I'm a DC hater since I lived and grew up there That's a bright comment.

It's still not fast paced to me. I don't care how much you are going to try and change my opinion. It's funny too.. because you associate me thinking it's not paced as being a hater.. Grow up
Okay - as you stated your opinion previously - other than Cleveland being the fastest pace city after NYC - what other cities do you think are fast paced? I'm curious.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,230 times
I don't find Philly fast at all, from time visiting and living.

But I think that's part of its appeal...you can enjoy the history and the sites with only moderate crowds, compared to D.C.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM

58 posts, read 123,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
After NYC, its a toss-up between Chicago, Philly, Boston, D.C., and Miami

i would agree. Miami is suspect because certain parts are slower paced. but that's the case with all cities.

the road rage down there is as bad as the big dogs though. sunshine state lol

Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Okay - as you stated your opinion previously - other than Cleveland being the fastest pace city after NYC - what other cities do you think are fast paced? I'm curious.
I never said Cleveland being the 2nd fastest paced, I just said it was comparable to DC, in MY opinion. I've been to many faster paced cities through my travels: London, Prague, Budapest, Santiago, etc..

In the US, most urban centers are relatively the same pace... nothing really compares to NYC in that regard. The only ones I would consider would be Boston or Chicago -- and that's based off strictly downtown travels.. I haven't explored outside the downtowns of both cities. Even Vegas I would consider busy, but it's a different type of busy. Throw in San Francisco too.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Someone explain please... How is NYC fast paced? The few times I've visited it has taken me at least 3 times as long to accomplish anything I would have done in Omaha...sitting in traffic, waiting in lines, etc. Are we talking about a different pace? I never understood this comparison.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:16 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.starks View Post
i would agree. Miami is suspect because certain parts are slower paced. but that's the case with all cities.

the road rage down there is as bad as the big dogs though. sunshine state lol
Thats funny, I always thought it was "gunshine" state, LOL. I heard someone say once that "Florida is so ghetto, even the state itself looks like a gun"
LOL.......

Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
Someone explain please... How is NYC fast paced? The few times I've visited it has taken me at least 3 times as long to accomplish anything I would have done in Omaha...sitting in traffic, waiting in lines, etc. Are we talking about a different pace? I never understood this comparison.
That's the problem.. "Fast paced" is pretty subjective.. it's how you interpret it.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:06 PM

330 posts, read 878,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I never said Cleveland being the 2nd fastest paced, I just said it was comparable to DC, in MY opinion. I've been to many faster paced cities through my travels: London, Prague, Budapest, Santiago, etc..

In the US, most urban centers are relatively the same pace... nothing really compares to NYC in that regard. The only ones I would consider would be Boston or Chicago -- and that's based off strictly downtown travels.. I haven't explored outside the downtowns of both cities. Even Vegas I would consider busy, but it's a different type of busy. Throw in San Francisco too.
Sorry, but I totally disagree with your opinion that most US urban centers are relatively the same pace. I haven't been to Cleveland so I can't compare to it. The closest I've been to Cleveland has been Suckcinnati - I mean Cincinnati - and it was dead - even at rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City