Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the Fastest Paced Cities (After New York)??
Los Angeles 34 12.45%
Chicago 67 24.54%
Washington D.C. 60 21.98%
Boston 24 8.79%
San Francisco 17 6.23%
Philadelphia 35 12.82%
Atlanta 12 4.40%
Miami 7 2.56%
Houston 3 1.10%
Las Vegas 14 5.13%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:12 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
That's the problem.. "Fast paced" is pretty subjective.. it's how you interpret it.
I think the slow-down when it comes to traffic is why people are compensating for that loss of time in other endeavors. For instance, if you are waiting online at a Burger King, or in a convenience store, one who lives in the aforementioned fast pace environment is likely going to want that service provided to them as quickly as possible, with as little dialogue and small talk as possible. In a slower paced area, one is more likely to engage another person in conversation, which might be perceived as overhead in one of the faster paced environments.

That's what I used to think, anyway. But the older I get, the more I realize that people are demanding everywhere, in all 50 states. Instant satisfaction is the norm. It's not as exclusive to the NYC area as I once thought it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
I think Connan Obrian hit it on the head when he said that after traveling across the U.S. he realized that people in big cities outside of New York were'nt really slow. It's just New Yorkers are so insanely obsessed with doing everything in a big furious hurry that everybody else seems to be going slow.

Atlanta I think is right up there with the other cities outside New York when it comes to pace. In fact most big cities outside of New York are pretty close in pace. New York just takes it to another level. (Like the crowded Midtown McDonalds that tells you to get out of line if you take a little too long to order and had security guards to make sure you did.)

Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I think Connan Obrian hit it on the head when he said that after traveling across the U.S. he realized that people in big cities outside of New York were'nt really slow. It's just New Yorkers are so insanely obsessed with doing everything in a big furious hurry that everybody else seems to be going slow.

Atlanta I think is right up there with the other cities outside New York when it comes to pace. In fact most big cities outside of New York are pretty close in pace. New York just takes it to another level. (Like the crowded Midtown McDonalds that tells you to get out of line if you take a little too long to order and had security guards to make sure you did.)
I fully agree. NY is a bit more fast-paced than other big cities I've been to, but its not like its difficult to adapt to.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Sorry, but I totally disagree with your opinion that most US urban centers are relatively the same pace. I haven't been to Cleveland so I can't compare to it. The closest I've been to Cleveland has been Suckcinnati - I mean Cincinnati - and it was dead - even at rush hour.
Cincinnati is nothing like Cleveland... completely different areas and different people. Sorry, but that's a poor comparison. Cleveland is more like a smaller / poor man's Chicago. I've only been in Ohio for a couple years, but to me Cinci seems rather southern, even in regards to NoVA. I'd say it's slower paced than Cleveland for sure. Cinci to me is a mix between the midwest culture with southern influences. Cleveland is midwest mixed with east coast influences. And then you have Columbus (in the middle of the two) which is about as midwestern as it gets.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM

330 posts, read 878,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Cincinnati is nothing like Cleveland... completely different areas and different people. Sorry, but that's a poor comparison. Cleveland is more like a smaller / poor man's Chicago. I've only been in Ohio for a couple years, but to me Cinci seems rather southern, even in regards to NoVA. I'd say it's slower paced than Cleveland for sure. Cinci to me is a mix between the midwest culture with southern influences. Cleveland is midwest mixed with east coast influences. And then you have Columbus (in the middle of the two) which is about as midwestern as it gets.
Let's put opinions aside and now let's look at raw data. According to Texas Transportation Institute (TTI) the most recognized think tank for traffic studies - it ranks the following metros in terms of the level of traffic congestion delays:

It's most recent study in traffic congestion delays ranks as follows:

1. LA
2. DC
3. Atlanta
4. Houston
5. SF
and if you keep going down the list ....you will find Cleveland

76. Cleveland

Yes. Cleveland is ranked 76th. Now if we use logic, how on earth could Cleveland be fast paced if it ranks 76th in terms of traffic congestion???? In fact, Cincinnati is ranked 56.

Here's the link to the study: http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/congestion_data/tables/national/table_1.pdf (broken link)

Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Why is traffic such a big issue when talking about how fast paced a city is?

How about making the morning rush to the coffee house or breakfast spot, waiting for a train that's not so crowded that you can actually fight your way on it and then muscle someone out of the way so you can get a hold of a rail, then make the mad rush up the subway stairs (or down off the EL platform), onto the street where you maneuver your way into the office to start your day.

Now do this with a windchill factor of -5 and you have a Chicago winter!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Why is traffic such a big issue when talking about how fast paced a city is?

How about making the morning rush to the coffee house or breakfast spot, waiting for a train that's not so crowded that you can actually fight your way on it and then muscle someone out of the way so you can get a hold of a rail, then make the mad rush up the subway stairs (or down off the EL platform), onto the street where you maneuver your way into the office to start your day.

Now do this with a windchill factor of -5 and you have a Chicago winter!
Because when you're delayed in traffic and it's causing you to run late and you're running out of patience, the natural tendency is to RUSH! But you're right about subway ridership. The reason NYC is not ranked as high is because a large portion of the population either walks or catches the subway to their destination. DC has the second highest subway ridership after NYC, but it's still ranked very high at number 2 in terms of traffic congestion delays.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Because when you're delayed in traffic and it's causing you to run late and you're running out of patience, the natural tendency is to RUSH! But you're right about subway ridership. The reason NYC is not ranked as high is because a large portion of the population either walks or catches the subway to their destination. DC has the second highest subway ridership, but they still ranked very high at number 2.

Very true...ha ha. Point taken.

But when we use NYC as the example of being the fastest pace, traffic is not what we're referring too. We're referring to the pace on the streets and of everyday life.

I don't know how to explain it but some cities just feel "faster" than others. A good example is when you talk to someone and they say, I need to get out of __________ for a weekend and just relax.

Or, I need to get out of ___________ for the weekend so I can think clearly.

Some city's pace can just drain you. I think it has the most to do with the business environment. The more taxing the business environment, the faster the pace of the city.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Very true...ha ha. Point taken.

But when we use NYC as the example of being the fastest pace, traffic is not what we're referring too. We're referring to the pace on the streets and of everyday life.

I don't know how to explain it but some cities just feel "faster" than others. A good example is when you talk to someone and they say, I need to get out of __________ for a weekend and just relax.

Or, I need to get out of ___________ for the weekend so I can think clearly.

Some city's pace can just drain you. I think it has the most to do with the business environment. The more taxing the business environment, the faster the pace of the city.
I know what you mean. As I stated previously on this thread:

"Foot traffic in CBD (amount of people out):

1. I'd think Chicago considering its size, but I haven't spent enough time to be sure.
2. DC and SF
3. Boston"

Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean. As I stated previously on this thread:

"Foot traffic in CBD (amount of people out):

1. I'd think Chicago considering its size, but I haven't spent enough time to be sure.
2. DC and SF
3. Boston"
I'd agree with that list.

Chicago, DC, and San Fran would all seem pretty close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City