Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is more Urban???
Miami 137 51.89%
Houston 43 16.29%
Dallas 28 10.61%
Atlanta 56 21.21%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:04 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You realize that this is very flawed logic.Youre basically saying becasue Houston annexed so much its not fair? Philadelphia,Boston,Baltimore,D.C.are all smaller and more diverse than Atlanta.(Philly is almost identical to Atlanta in size)

We could go on all day about what ifs.If Atlanta annexed Fayette county to the South or Cobb county to the North, that would raise its income higher .
So you left out Gwinnett or DeKalb County hmmmm. I need to go visit my kinfolks in Lithonia/ Decatur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 01:05 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Atlanta Diversity

Hindu temple in Atlanta to be the largest in US
Hindu temple in Atlanta to be the largest in US - India - Zimbio
Korean Metropolitan Area Number Percent
1) Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange-San Bernardino-Ventura, California Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area (CMSA) 257,975 23.96
2)New York-North New Jersey-Long Island, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania CMSA 170,509 15.83
3)Washington. D.C.-Baltimore, District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia CMSA 74,454 6.91
4)San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, California CMSA 57,386 5.33
5)Chicago-Gary-Kenosha, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, CMSA 46,256 4.30
6)Seattle-Tacoma-Bremerton, Washington CMSA 41,189 3.82
7)Philadelphia-Wilmington-Atlantic City, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland CMSA 29,309 2.72
8)Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) 22,317 2.07
8)Honolulu, Hawaii MSA 21,681 2.01
9)Dallas-Ft Worth, Texas CMSA 18,123 1.68
10)Boston-Worcester-Lawrence, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut, CMSA 15,560 1.44
11)San Diego, CA MSA 12,004 1.11
12)Houston-Galveston-Brazoria., Texas CMSA 10,341 0.96
Total for 13 Metropolitan Areas 777,104 72.16
Total Koreans in the United States 1,076,872 100.00

Percentage wise their are more Nigerians in Atlanta than any other city in the South and near the top in the U.S..
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed
In Atlanta,Clarkston, Redan and Riverdale all have a greater percent than any area in Houston,Dallas or Miami.Glen Heights is the highest in Houston.

Percentage wise their are more Vietnamese in Atlanta than any other city in the South and near the top in the U.S.More communities in Atlanta.

Percentage wise their are more Koreans in Atlanta than any other city in the South.More communities in Atlanta than any other city.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 04:18 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Honestly you can not argue Houston diveristy. The city of Houston is designed for diversity. The majority of Houston residents live inside Houston city limits. Which in return makes Houston a melting pot for diversity. Anyone that has visited Houston will tell you the city has a strong international presents. If we are strictly talking about diveristy and concentration than I would rank the cities in this order.

1.Houston
2.Miami
3.Dallas
4.Atlanta.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
So you left out Gwinnett or DeKalb County hmmmm. I need to go visit my kinfolks in Lithonia/ Decatur
O.K. Mr Smarty.lol

Old 09-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Honestly you can not argue Houston diveristy. The city of Houston is designed for diversity. The majority of Houston residents live inside Houston city limits. Which in return makes Houston a melting pot for diversity. Anyone that has visited Houston will tell you the city has a strong international presents. If we are strictly talking about diveristy and concentration than I would rank the cities in this order.

1.Houston
2.Miami
3.Dallas
4.Atlanta.
So what is "Diversity" to you?Because most major cities have diversity.If you are talking overall NO,I don't agree with that.Just because you SEE someone in a turban does not mean that city is diverse. You "feel" all you want but numbers don't lie.

Last edited by afonega1; 09-27-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
So what is "Diversity" to you?Because most major cities have diversity.If you are talking overall NO,I don't agree with that.You "feel" all you want but numbers don't lie.
No disrespect my Brother but Atlanta is not more diverse than Houston. If you take Houston inner loop and put it up aganist Atlanta city limits it does not compare.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,424 times
Quote:
No I don't think it safe to say that diversity equals race by itself.Most people seeking diversity think of race,gender,cultural,religious, sexual orientation,and nationality.
Like I said, when most people speak of diversity they are in fact talking about race. Deny it all you want, but it's the truth. It doesn't matter anyway because Houston has diversity in all those other aspects as well.

Quote:
Just like the Nigerian population I hear people from Houston quoting all that time,yet Atlanta not only has a large Nigerian population, but also from other African countries.
Um, so does Houston. What's your point?

Quote:
Actually you are incorrect again to assume what you said.There are several areas especially in Dekalb,and Gwinnett,and in Clayton counties where you will find that demographic breakdown as well.
Stats please?

Quote:
Vietnamese population in Clayton county is about as high in Atlanta as it is in Houston or Dallas.Of course we are talking about as a percentage of the population,because Houston is significantly larger
.I don't know what you heard but its totally false to assume because Atlanta has a number of black people that it is black and white like some people claim.There are of course areas where you can live that are majority white,black,Hispanic or Asian as well.Or together.
I never said Atlanta was black and white, but it's not as racially diverse as Houston.

Quote:
Diversity is just not about collecting races,cultures etc, it about being inclusive.All these cities fail in that.Miami may be the most diverse but the Cuban population pretty much runs everything in Miami.(government).There has always been tension in the Haitians and Cuban communities.Better today but still underneath the surface and routinely surfaces in political debates.

Has ANY of these cities other than Atlanta had a female mayor?What about an Asian council-person?Gay politicians?Atlanta's former city council president was Cathy Woolard a gay woman.
Don't know much about Houston's politics, but I do know they had Barbara Jordan who was a gay black woman.

Quote:
Miami and Atlanta are the only major cities in the South that offer offer Domestic Partner Benefits to employees and any company operating in Atlanta has to provide ALL to its employees.Does that sound like diversity at it best?
And knowing you, you're probably going to use this itty bitty fact as the foundation for your theory that Atlanta is the best city in the south for gays.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Is any one of these four cities significantly more urban than the others? I'm pretty sure that they are all fairly equal in that respect...each one has urban areas, and each one has a huge sea of suburbia surrounding it (just like every other U.S. city).

Even though each of these cities is making strides toward urbanization, they continue to be viewed as lesser cities by many people in this forum. I'm not even sure why a thread such as this is allowed...it only causes arguments between people who think their city is better - since there is really no way to definitvely decide which city is more urban.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Like I said, when most people speak of diversity they are in fact talking about race. Deny it all you want, but it's the truth. It doesn't matter anyway because Houston has diversity in all those other aspects as well.

Um, so does Houston. What's your point?

Stats please?

I never said Atlanta was black and white, but it's not as racially diverse as Houston.

Don't know much about Houston's politics, but I do know they had Barbara Jordan who was a gay black woman.

And knowing you, you're probably going to use this itty bitty fact as the foundation for your theory that Atlanta is the best city in the south for gays.
"Knowing me"?If you actually did,it would be a pleasure for YOU.ANyway,I'm not making any claims you Houston people have.I debunked those claims by providing facts and you guys have used every excuse to deny or invalidate them.

Nice try.Not a theory ,just the facts.Can you provide me with some?
Gay Map(Census)
http://www.gaydemographics.org/USA/Maps/US_map_pct.gif (broken link)
http://www.gaydemographics.org/USA/2000Census_Gay_zipcode.htm (broken link)

Anything else?

Last edited by afonega1; 09-27-2009 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Is any one of these four cities significantly more urban than the others? I'm pretty sure that they are all fairly equal in that respect...each one has urban areas, and each one has a huge sea of suburbia surrounding it (just like every other U.S. city).

Even though each of these cities is making strides toward urbanization, they continue to be viewed as lesser cities by many people in this forum. I'm not even sure why a thread such as this is allowed...it only causes arguments between people who think their city is better - since there is really no way to definitvely decide which city is more urban.
These so called lesser cities have led the nation in growth since 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City