Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 06:52 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times

Advertisements

In terms of what? Sprawl and chain restaurants. Yes. Interesting, vibrant, and urban? No

I was in Austin over the summer and I found it to be one of the most over-rated cities I have visited. Its a flavor of the month city. Its not in the same league as places like STL, Pittsburgh, Cincy, KC, Cleveland, or even ATL. But then again you are comparing Austin to all the wrong cities. Austin is more Comparable to Columbus, Madison, Raleigh then maybe it may seen more attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 06:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
In terms of what? Sprawl and chain restaurants. Yes. Interesting, vibrant, and urban? No

I was in Austin over the summer and I found it to be one of the most over-rated cities I have visited. Its a flavor of the month city. Its not in the same league as places like STL, Pittsburgh, Cincy, KC, Cleveland, or even ATL. But then again you are comparing Austin to all the wrong cities. Austin is more Comparable to Columbus, Madison, Raleigh then maybe it may seen more attractive.
Cincinnati?????? Not in the same league as Cincinnati???? Seriously?lol

Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:

Cincy and Cleveland? Seriously?

I am certainly very jealous of two cities that are 20 years past their prime

And being from St. Louis you shouldn't even talk...after you get over the big fancy arch there is pretty much nothing to see there.

And chain restaraunts? You must have not looked hard enough. There are a ton of great local places here and in the immediate centex area.

I guarantee you better than any of the bland midwestern crap you would find in Cincy, Cleveland, or STL.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
Atlanta and Boston will take that title...other than that...no other city comes close

Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Has Austin pass Atlanta as the best big city capitol in the USA.
Though not as large as Atlanta; I think Austin has a better quality of life and is more progressive....relatively.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:36 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:

I'm sorry but Austin is much better than St. Louis.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Though not as large as Atlanta; I think Austin has a better quality of life and is more progressive....relatively.

I don't think so. Austin is a cool college town, but Atlanta has much more to offer, a diverse economy, and overall these two really can't be compared.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:12 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
St.Louis is one of the most underwhelming major cities in America.Its just there with a great Arch which is EXTREMELY cool.Other than that...snore snore.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:48 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,015 times
Most of you have no idea what you are talking about and have probably never been to STL. The only thin Austin does better than STL is selling their city. STL is one of the most under-rated in the country while Austin is probably the most over-rated. Why? Its mainly due to the fact Austinites market their city in a better way. Other than that STL blows Austin away in almost every category along with the cities mentioned in my previous post. These cities aren't dying they are rebounding in a big way. Why do you think Pitt was able to land the G-4 convention. Someday Austin will have to rebound as well, its a common cycle among cities.

I am in banking and speak to many people that move here from all over the country and their experience is better than their perception. See a quote below from the STL thread.

Coming here from Austin, a "best-place to live" city, I can easily say that St. Louis blows Austin out of the water with regard to architecture, amenities, history, location, natural setting, and even charm.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
While I love Atlanta I'm sorry I can't say it deserves the title of "Best Capital City."

Some capitals I'm more fond of?

Boston, MA
Montpelier, VT (Who said the city had to be massive?)
Annapolis, MD
Madison, WI
St. Paul, MN
Olympia, WA
Richmond, VA

THEN maybe Atlanta (just in my opinion). Atlanta just doesn't feel like a "capital city." It feels like a mega-city to-be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City