Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Where are my urban radio music experts. Here's a Wiki list of urban radio stations. For those of you who follow radio you know you have to ignore the ones that say "Rhythmic" because that's pretty much just a new word for "Pop". Anyway, excluding Gospel, Dallas lists four "real" FM urban stations. This is very much expected. But do my eyes decieve me, but excluding the one gospel station, does Houston really only have two FM urban stations? Or is this list just wrong?

List of urban-format radio stations in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's really amazing that they only have one urban format station. Back in 2000, they had four. In 2001, it went down to 2. In 2008, it went down to 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's really amazing that they only have one urban format station. Back in 2000, they had four. In 2001, it went down to 2. In 2008, it went down to 1.
It's because Hispanic rdio owners bought the stations and converted them into Latino stations. Hopefully someone opens up a new hip-hop/R&B station in Houston, because having just one, in a metro area this large, is just stupid.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Does anyone even listen to terrestrial radio anymore? HD Radio still hasn't caught mainstream attention yet & its been available for several years now.

If anything Houston needs a Dance radio station and/or Old School Hip Hop station the worst. I get tired of the same old Lil' Wayne, Beyonce, & Jay Z crap on rotation 24/7.

Dallas radio stations are slightly better because there is more variety to choose from.

Satellite Radio & Internet Radio are the way to go though.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 AM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I thought Houston only had one.
Does 95.7 not count?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:37 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Does 95.7 not count?
No. I went to that station's website and they would be one of those "Rhythmic" format stations, not a true urban format. Meaning they may play crossover urban acts like Drake or Usher, but they also play people like Lady Gaga and Justin Biber. True urban format stations don't play people like that. And rhythmic stations would never play urban acts like Dwele, Raheem Devaughn or Eryka Badu. I know its not politically correct to say it, but think of rhythmic stations as the new school term for white stations and urban as the new term for black stations.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 AM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
No. I went to that station's website and they would be one of those "Rhythmic" format stations, not a true urban format. Meaning they may play crossover urban acts like Drake or Usher, but they also play people like Lady Gaga and Justin Biber. True urban format stations don't play people like that. And rhythmic stations would never play urban acts like Dwele, Raheem Devaughn or Eryka Badu. I know its not politically correct to say it, but think of rhythmic stations as the new school term for white stations and urban as the new term for black stations.
I don't think it is neccesarily black/white, I mean there are white people who like rap/hip-hop, etc. And there are black people who don't like rap/hip-hop, etc. (Note: I am not either, so I'm not offended)

Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Does 95.7 not count?
95.7 use to be one of those urban stations. That changed in 2001.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:25 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
What are the chances Houston gets more urban stations?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:24 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
What are the chances Houston gets more urban stations?
With the direction radio is going in, you would think slim to none. But with Houston’s African-American population growing so fast you never know. I’m no radio expert, but given the size of Houston’s black population I’m just shocked that community has so few stations now. The sheer number of African-Americans living there is staggering for it to have just two stations. Compared to places with similar demographics I’d expect Houston to have at least four stations, two old school and two hip hop stations. So who knows, maybe someone will try to fill the void. I've got to imagine there's enough ad money in that city for more stations.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:34 AM

705 posts, read 1,660,861 times
Dallas, the name carries all the weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City