Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
NEW YORK CITY 146 48.03%
MIAMI 158 51.97%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
is nice. I am a native Manhattanite. 75 degrees in November (not happening in Naples, Florida), December (nope), or January and February (maybe) is NOT.

I want real FALL and WINTER. Anything under 70s, preferably 40s and 50s, is wonderful for me.
I guess you would be happy in Atlanta then...64/44 today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
is nice. I am a native Manhattanite. 75 degrees in November (not happening in Naples, Florida), December (nope), or January and February (maybe) is NOT.

I want real FALL and WINTER. Anything under 70s, preferably 40s and 50s, is wonderful for me.
I will say that this Halloween was nice for the most part, we got up to 77. NYC is usually well above 75 in July and August. 70's are really nice during this time of year, if we had a 70 degree high in the Summer I'd probably get sick, 70 is our average low in July.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default I cn remember 80 degrees on Haloween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I will say that this Halloween was nice for the most part, we got up to 77. NYC is usually well above 75 in July and August. 70's are really nice during this time of year, if we had a 70 degree high in the Summer I'd probably get sick, 70 is our average low in July.
on Long Island sometimes where my kids were little. It was AWFUL. Yeah, the leaves were on the ground and all, bu they were SWEATING in their costumes when I took them trick or treating. I also remember other timed when they had to put sweaters and jackets under their costumes. That was so much more pleasant walking around in the crisp air, instead of sweating in the Indian Summer. It just felt so much more like Fall and the end of October.

It was 88 in Florida yesterday with a heat index of 95. Totally miserable. I did not see one single kid, and I went out shopping, until 8:30 at night.

I truly feel sorry for these Florida kids, I really do.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:20 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default I would rather have 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I guess you would be happy in Atlanta then...64/44 today.
but would take 60s over 80s.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
on Long Island sometimes where my kids were little. It was AWFUL. Yeah, the leaves were on the ground and all, bu they were SWEATING in their costumes when I took them trick or treating. I also remember other timed when they had to put sweaters and jackets under their costumes. That was so much more pleasant walking around in the crisp air, instead of sweating in the Indian Summer. It just felt so much more like Fall and the end of October.

It was 88 in Florida yesterday with a heat index of 95. Totally miserable. I did not see one single kid, and I went out shopping, until 8:30 at night.

I always hated sweating in my costume, Halloween was one of the few days that I'd prefer to have cool weather. Sometimes I used to have to take off parts of my costume because it was 80-something degrees and even at night it was still warm. I never felt cold (and I usually get cold quick) on Halloween because a lot of costumes retain a lot of heat, I remember sweating on every single Halloween.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Miami is the most persitently hot and humid major city with no relief in the continental USA.. almost like groundhog day

For example today November 1 per weather.com is expected to be 88/74 in Miami, while Phoenix is 87/60, Houston is 76/53 and Jacksonville is 80/64
Some people like that weather.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM

69 posts, read 235,899 times
It's all about lifestyle, what you like and dislike. I have lived in NY and now FL and you do get use to the heat and humidity. Florida does have Fall, just not as dramatic and as for allergies, I still get bothered by then both Spring and Fall but not as bad. In Florida you learn to do things in the morning and late afternoon. You go from air conditioned car to home to work to stores, everywhere is prepared for the heat. I carry a sweater in my car because it's cold in restaurants and malls. After living here about 2 years your body gets use to it. I was in NY the end of May, the weather was refreshing, I was happy to return to FL. I lived in NY, VT and NH until I was 36, once I moved here I wondered why I didn't do it sooner. I love the heat and was never a fan of the cold and bundling up. When you live by the water in Florida and not in the middle of the state, there's always a breeze. It's just not for everyone and that's okay.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 AM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Some people like that weather.
Yes, some down in extreme SoFla wilt when it drops below 60-65 for a couple of nights. Never mind having several months of needing heat at night or sweaters and jackets like anywhere else in the south including much of FL. Part of what makes the place unique.. But I see NYC has pulled ahead by three. This never would have happened in a poll 10-20 years ago...

Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
I cn remember 80 degrees on Haloween

Kids were all over in my area.
I don't live with blinders on though.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
I truly feel sorry for kids today also because they have video games that detract from the real fun that they could have if they were outside,it is not about the heat but the Xbox360.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City