U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
NEW YORK CITY 104 47.49%
MIAMI 115 52.51%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 11-01-2009, 06:10 AM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 4,758,391 times
Reputation: 1921

Advertisements

To be honest, I think both NYC and Miami have a fairly decent climate. I partial to Miami because I love the tropics and the sun. NYC is still not too bad, you get the four seasons, but winter is not a killer like in Chicago, Minneapolis, or Buffalo.

To me the only climate I could never live in is the gloomy Pacific Northwest. Damp, cold, overcast, misting/raining frequently. Most Americans who live outside the Pacific Northwest don’t really appreciate “how” cloudy the region really is. Here is a map of the USA in December (the cloudiest month of the year on average). Note the very dark colors up in the PNW. In the USA, only places near the Great Lakes are even close in terms of a lack of sunlight. How people can function and not see the sun for several weeks at a clip is amazing to me. As you can see by the map...places like Seattle or Portland average less than 60 hours of sunshine in the month of December...while NYC averages 140 and Miami over 200 hours. Wow.



Give me that sun shining on the Atlantic over the beaches of South Florida or Long Island anyday. No sun would kill me (lol).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2009, 07:09 AM
 
13,339 posts, read 13,509,993 times
Reputation: 3451
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
To be honest, I think both NYC and Miami have a fairly decent climate. I partial to Miami because I love the tropics and the sun. NYC is still not too bad, you get the four seasons, but winter is not a killer like in Chicago, Minneapolis, or Buffalo.

To me the only climate I could never live in is the gloomy Pacific Northwest. Damp, cold, overcast, misting/raining frequently. Most Americans who live outside the Pacific Northwest don’t really appreciate “how” cloudy the region really is. Here is a map of the USA in December (the cloudiest month of the year on average). Note the very dark colors up in the PNW. In the USA, only places near the Great Lakes are even close in terms of a lack of sunlight. How people can function and not see the sun for several weeks at a clip is amazing to me. As you can see by the map...places like Seattle or Portland average less than 60 hours of sunshine in the month of December...while NYC averages 140 and Miami over 200 hours. Wow.



Give me that sun shining on the Atlantic over the beaches of South Florida or Long Island anyday. No sun would kill me (lol).
Good point.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 6,275,472 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
you don't, the dates they run the heaters by the outside platforms of the L are pretty accurate though, but I forget the dates. this says nothing that you will survive jan feb without a heat source though
you will be blue like this guy
I'd like to see him go camping in the winter, w/ just some blankets...to give him some real perspective to what happens when there are NO heat sources. Even the best thermal gear will only last so long when an arctic blast comes down. But maybe he is sitting indoors with no heat in a single family home in sorel boots and blankets. Highly doubtful, I'm sure he goes somewhere to warm up at some point.
If he works and his job is indoor, he must spend at least 8 hours a day with a heat source.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 6,275,472 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Wow...
I don't know what the wow is for. If you think it's funny that I would ask such a question, I think it's funny that you would suggest it's possible to live with no heat source in Chicago.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 AM
 
780 posts, read 936,288 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
I am a person that voted for NYC weather.

In NYC a person gets all four seasons, including an actual winter with snow around the holidays. IMO, Miami is just blazing hot, but some people like that weather.

Miami is the most persitently hot and humid major city with no relief in the continental USA.. almost like groundhog day

For example today November 1 per weather.com is expected to be 88/74 in Miami, while Phoenix is 87/60, Houston is 76/53 and Jacksonville is 80/64
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2009, 09:26 AM
 
780 posts, read 936,288 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I had central air, and heat, in an apartment building in Gainesville in 1971. My family is from southern Italy (Naples and Sicily). My Mom and Grandma both couldn't stand the heat. Maybe that was one of the reasons why my ancestors left Italy and migrated to NY?

Naples, Italy actually has weather closer to what you get on Long Island this time of the year maybe just a bit warmer.. Highs low 60's usually dropping 10-15 degrees at night...not bad at all..

Look on the bright side .... you do get to live in a place called Naples and it actually cools off at night a good 5 degrees more than Miami much of the year. And Florida has lots of very good Italian restaurants with owner/operators from NYC or the homeland..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 AM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,262 posts, read 7,770,281 times
Reputation: 2912
My least favorite season is summer, and I live in the NYC metro area.
That being said, I can't even imagine Miami heat, which is stronger and longer... no way son, I rather have a longer fall, or even winter.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
 
26 posts, read 23,416 times
Reputation: 13
I am from New York and wish it had Miami weather, maybe except the hurrican season. Although winter in Manhattan and particularly central park can be picturesque it does not measure up to summer in the city and on Long Island beaches..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,643 posts, read 4,233,440 times
Reputation: 1661
Default 75 degrees in July or August

Quote:
Originally Posted by upper_hand View Post
I am from New York and wish it had Miami weather, maybe except the hurrican season. Although winter in Manhattan and particularly central park can be picturesque it does not measure up to summer in the city and on Long Island beaches..
is nice. I am a native Manhattanite. 75 degrees in November (not happening in Naples, Florida), December (nope), or January and February (maybe) is NOT.

I want real FALL and WINTER. Anything under 70s, preferably 40s and 50s, is wonderful for me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
 
26 posts, read 23,416 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
is nice. I am a native Manhattanite. 75 degrees in November (not happening in Naples, Florida), December (nope), or January and February (maybe) is NOT.

I want real FALL and WINTER. Anything under 70s, preferably 40s and 50s, is wonderful for me.
I hear ya however shoveling snow is not my favorite hobby...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top