Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 01:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
As soon as someone's favorite city is last on some list, they start complaining about how stupid it all is.
Exactly.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-10-2009 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: discussing other members
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA88 View Post
But NYC and LA have better college nightlife. Better adult nightlife. Better nightlife in each and every category imaginable.

This list makes no sense. How many people have even been to Austin? Austin barely gets any visitors so who are all these people that voted it as#2??? That's impossible.

Probably rigged... Or maybe an online poll which is never accurate.
Don't be offended when they slight your favorites, or be surpsied when the results change from year to year. It's not a scientific survey meant to be a cross-section, it's just asking a bunch of random people for their thoughts about places they may or may not have visited! (Kinda like many threads on C-D )

Old 10-10-2009, 02:05 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Aren't these lists a result of a direct survey of regular people? So how can they be bogus or inaccurate or anything else some of you are whining about?

But I'm sure many of you know how to correct these lists, right? Yeah, let's put New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco at the top of every one...oh, okay..now it's very accurate.

Cleveland just so happens to be a neat city with a lot of culture.

And maybe NY didn't rank that high on the nightlife list because normal people don't like paying 1500 dollars just to get in the door. And maybe they weren't impressed with the club scene. I mean, do New Yorkers even know how to dance?
BINGO!!! Exactly!

Old 10-10-2009, 02:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Don't be offended when they slight your favorites, or be surpsied when the results change from year to year. It's not a scientific survey meant to be a cross-section, it's just asking a bunch of random people for their thoughts about places they may or may not have visited! (Kinda like many threads on C-D )
I live in Houston. This list actually makes Houston look good.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Yes, which makes it even more surprising that your so completely ignorant of Austin's music, film, and art scene. I'm sure most of those European's you've partied with could tell something about Austin's fame. Even the European hipsters usually consider Austin to have one of the best music scene's in the world.

And there are several celebrities that have come from Austin's film scene, and even still live in Austin. The city has gained the reputation in Hollywood of being a great town for film, and it's becoming not all that uncommon to see high profile celebrities in Austin.

I'm not trying to say that Austin's night life is better than NYC's. Those are two completely different towns so I really don't think you can compare the two. I'm just saying that it's not the hick town you're trying to make it out to be.
yeah Austin is like Hollywood. what movies have you seen Austin in...? none...?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Actually its a movie in theaters now based in Austin....

Old 10-10-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually its a movie in theaters now based in Austin....
Are you mocking me?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Are you mocking me?
Wait, were you being sarcastic?? Because I'm actually telling the truth.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wait, were you being sarcastic?? Because I'm actually telling the truth.
WTF...? I don't know.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSp1M...47CC9B&index=9

YouTube - About SXSW: SXSW Film Festival Venues

This is probably a better link for info on SXSW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSp1M...47CC9B&index=9

I didn't say it was like Hollywood. I just said it has reputation for being a film town. but just to name a few filmed in Austin:

Slacker
Sin City and Sin City 2 (in production)
Grindhouse
Bottlerockets
Dazed and Confused
American Outlaw
Machete (in production)
Kill Bill: Vol 1
all of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre's
A Scanner Darkly
Idiocracy
Capote

and the list goes on and on and on....

Wes Anderson, Robert Rodriguez, and Richard Linklater all got there start in Austin. I'm not sure about Wes Anderson, but Robert Rodriguez and Richard Linklater have both moved back to Austin and opened a studios.

I'm not trying to say that Austin is better or even equal than New York or LA's music and film scene. I'm just saying that anyone who is in the entertainment knows that Austin is a great place to go for film scene.

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-10-2009 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City