Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 04:14 PM

15 posts, read 11,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
So you speak for the entire State of New Jersey?
Did I say that I spoke for the entire state of NJ? I dont believe that I did so stop putting words into my mouth to start an argument. From my epxerience, which is living in NJ...... I have never heard one person that wanted to visit Austin or move to Austin. I have met a lot of people from NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I think Austin tends to appeal more to people from the West Coast. Dallas and Houston draw more people from the East. In LA, when I would tell people I was moving to either Dallas or Houston, they would immidately start talking about Austin even though none had really ever been there.
Yeah, i agree. I wonder why? People from California flock to Austin.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:18 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2CHICAGO View Post
I was born in the NYC metro area and lived in NJ for awhile. I disagree with this post. People in NJ don't care about Austin. Some of them care about Houston and Dallas, but not Austin. Peopel in NJ don't talk about Austin or have any desire to live there.
Jeez. I'm just trying to explain the cities reputation and why it appeared on this list but it's being misconstrued as "AUSTIN IS THE GREATEST TOWN IN THE WORLD AND EVERYONE WANTS TO MOVE HERE." I said they heard it was cool town. I never said that they wanted to pick up and move to Austin. It's and acquired taste and if your obsessed with the "big city" environment, than Austin is not really going to be you thing. It has also been a somewhat recent thing for Austin to being known as a "music city" or a "film city" on a national level.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:18 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA2CHICAGO View Post
New York City has never hosted the Oympics and never will. The reason for this is simply because they dont have the space. New Jersey could do the Olympics for NYC, but that would never happen. Atlanta has tons of space though for any event of this magnitude because its not as dense.
Then why did Mayor Bloomberg launch such a serious push to win the 2012 games, ultimately loosing to London?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Then why did Mayor Bloomberg launch such a serious push to win the 2012 games, ultimately loosing to London?
NYC had the space back then, that was before the new Giants/Jets stadium plans fell through, they were also going to build an Olympic Village somewhere in Queens that would later be transformed into houses/apartments or something like that.

I'm on your side though .

Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Why did Mayor Bloomberg launch a serious push to win the 2012 games? Why do you think? He launched it because every major city in the world puts a bid in to try and win the Olympics. The fact that NYC lost to London is not significant. Also, Chicago beat London if I remember correctly. Does that mean Chicago is better than London? NO, it doesn't. NYC and London are interchangeable by every website, travel page, booklets, any research source whatsoever as number 1 and number 2 for best city in the world. It doesnt matter what city has the most entertainment or is the most important for the Olympics. What matters is what city will make the most money.

Last edited by LA2CHICAGO; 10-14-2009 at 04:41 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol huge cities by American standards? No...try again. You wish they were "huge" cities.

Yeah, sure, every city is sitting around dreaming of being 20 million people

Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Yeah, sure, every city is sitting around dreaming of being 20 million people
Lol, I wouldn't live in any city/metro if that was the case.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:46 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Culture (overall)
1 New York
2 Washington, D.C.
3 Boston
4 Philadelphia
5 Chicago
6 Cleveland

7 Houston
8 Providence
9 San Francisco
10 Minneapolis/St. Paul

Nice to see Cleveland on the culture list. People on city data seem to think Cleveland isn't very diverse culturally for some ignorant reason.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA88 View Post
But how many people have been to Cleveland??!!! This list is stupid like I said... How many tourists does Cleveland get... 20,000 per year vs like 20 million for LA?? There are not enough people who know anything about Clevelands orchestra to put it up high on this list.

So either the editors skewed the results or lots of people from Ohio voted!
LOL I would do some research first before typing such bullcrap and lies. You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about and sound like a teenager.. Grow up KID. Cleveland has one of the BEST orchestras and 2nd LARGEST Theatre district in the nation. Not to mention world class Museums. And millions of people visit Cleveland each year.

The city has well established Irish, Italian, German, Hungarian, Slovak, Puerto Rican, African American, and Arabic communities. The West Side Market is well known and has over 160 vendors. It also has the Rock N Roll HOF and the Football HOF in Canton, the Metroparks, a world-class Zoo, NASA, University Circle - Nearly 50 cultural, medical, educational, religious, and social service institutions are based in the University Circle area... Heck, University Circle gets 2.5 million visitors a year ALONE. Why are people on City Data far more ignorant than anyone I've met in real life?

Here are some links to read up on:

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/artic...es/6108612.txt
http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/09/20...l/20hours.html
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...nism-cleveland

Last edited by WeSoHood; 10-14-2009 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City