Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Well Houston does have the nations third tallest skyline (it's even taller than LA's). I get what they are saying though. The city has a horrible public transportation system (hopefully that will be changing soon with the new LT lines and possible monerail system) and the 610 loop is not nearly as densely populated as Manhattan or downtown Chicago.
But the point is...it can feel like a big city without being as densely populated as Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 02:13 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
But the point is...it can feel like a big city without being as densely populated as Manhattan.
But not nearly to the same extent.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
But not nearly to the same extent.
Why is something like this always a comparison? OF COURSE not to the extent of Manhattan...if you really want to compare Manhattan to other cities, then there isn't a city that feels like a big city.

Cities like Houston feel like big cities...period. Not compared to Manhattan, but just on their own.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Doubtful since I've traveled to many areas of Europe, including Greece. I had a conversation with a couple people at a Pub about the Cleveland Browns, LeBron James/Cavs, and Ray Lewis/Baltimore Ravens. Europeans are far more cultured than you'd wish to believe. They know more about American cities then you (based off what I've read from you).

They know more than Americans because their school systems are better, which is obvious. Even if they know of Austin, they could probably care less. They're mostly interested in LA an NY.

Um, I'm a teacher; I teach about this country. I think I know a thing or two about it

Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Traffic doesn't equal a big city feel. I hit traffic driving from Cortland to Ithaca for my student teaching, and that was some rural country between those two tiny cities.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston does not feel like a medium size or small city. It feels very huge and it's pretty fast-paced. The majority of Houston's metro population live within less than 2000 sqm of the city. Its inner loop population is over 500k with less than 100 sq. miles.
This doesn't have a big city feel???
Hmm, traffic? No, that's not what makes a big-city feel. We had traffic like that in Austin.

Although Houston's had a great skyline for many years, it was only within the last decade or so that downtown was really revitalized.

YouTube - Houston, Texas

Quote:
Why is something like this always a comparison? OF COURSE not to the extent of Manhattan...if you really want to compare Manhattan to other cities, then there isn't a city that feels like a big city.

Cities like Houston feel like big cities...period. Not compared to Manhattan, but just on their own.
Agree.

They actually talk some about the "big-city" aspect here; and it's a pretty decent little snippet that will familiarize someone with Houston if they've never been.

YouTube - One Day in Houston

Old 10-15-2009, 03:58 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,447 times
Quote:
A "spread-out" city can feel just as large as a city that is smaller in area. When you're in Houston, are you really thinking about how many square miles are in the city? NO. When I've been in downtown Houston, it feels just as large and fast-paces as any other city...and come on - you can't tell how spread-out the city is when you're standing in it.
I wasn't referring to downtown, I was referring the entire city of Houston along with the metro area, besides many people don't work in downtown also (percentage wise many people work other places).

Old 10-15-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly! Do people really think about that stuff when driving through the sunbelt??? Houston is more laid-back, but to say it doesn't have a big city feel is BS. Where do you see that type of traffic on a daily basis in smaller cities????

Traffic does not make a city have that big city feel.

What people don't realize is that the majority of the sunbelt cities metro populations live pretty close to the city centers.
That's the sunbelt cities, and people live further and further out.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Hmm, traffic? No, that's not what makes a big-city feel. We had traffic like that in Austin.

Although Houston's had a great skyline for many years, it was only within the last decade or so that downtown was really revitalized.

YouTube - Houston, Texas

Agree.

They actually talk some about the "big-city" aspect here; and it's a pretty decent little snippet that will familiarize someone with Houston if they've never been.

YouTube - One Day in Houston

Nope, the video proves that houston is more laid back, sure parts of it feel big cityish, but I was referring to the entire city and its metro, the video does give an example of how there are amenties and things to do in houston, I've seen it before, but it is laid back and how many people are going to jogging or the astro or nasa everyday, it sounds more like a tourist video for a day.

I would say Houston has pockets of a big city feel, sure some places are crowded and hot and feel like a zoo, and there are apartments and sprawl in a lot of areas but take the whole city and the metro are you'll find its spread out.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:05 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,834 times
Quote:
I said that I could see his point, but I don't really agree with it. Numerous 8 lane highways and the nation's third largest skyline doesn't make a city fill small. Houston is just a different way to layout a city. Personally, I would prefer if the 610 loop was very densely populated and have good transportation system, but it is what it is. Also, it seems like the city is in for some huge changes in the near future, so we'll see how long this Houston not being a "big city" bit lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City